Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I'm not convinced DL is at STL for the long-haul, even with their current mix of flights. Looking at loads to DCA & LGA, they are flying a LOT of empty metal around.

As for CDG / AMS, I don't see it. A 757 won't make it. Anything larger won't be full.
The loads on the DCA flights have definitely improved. I've taken this flight four times and I'm booked again DCA-STL-DCA next month. Next month, my flights, minus the preferred seats, are almost totally full. I also noticed DL reduced the "V" inventory for UG on one of my flights.

A spot check of DCA-STL flights and STL-DCA flights next week show loads over 70%. I even looked at mid-week.

As fare as Europe is concerned, I think STL would be happy with just more flights on mainline and CJR7's and 9's. Their regional product beats AE hands down. I finally gave up on AA last year and switched to DL.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
The phrase is "eventually", and it doesn't have to be DL. The problem is that the setup isn't conducive to DL even if they WANTED to do it. They couldn't even start a CUN flight for example without it being a major pain given their gate setup (i.e. ferrying planes back and forth from E gates).

That is the issue that I would hope is considered given the unique opportunities presented by this event. The international processing areas of STL have always been a bad setup - even going back to TW's heydays.
I disagree. If DL saw a need to operate STL-AMS/CDG/CUN or any other international route they could make it work. International arrivals arrive at Terminal E in BOS and DL shuttles the aircraft back to Terminal A. The DL gates in STL can handle large widebody aircraft however it makes the adjacent gate unusable. DL has flown 763s and L1011s to STL in the past so there is nothing currently preventing them from starting.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:06 pm
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
I'm back for my first visit to STL since being on AA699 on 4/22 when the tornado hit. They've done a great job. D Concourse looks great and is ready for more business...they'll need to replace/add some more jet bridges. They're working on Starbucks and other food choices as I sit here. Reading the posts, I'd love to see them bulldoze at least the first part of C concourse and keep the larger part (beyond C23) for use. This would create another path into D. I also hope they go ahead and re-open D all the way to Terminal 2.

Weather here is much better than it was last friday!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...ab-or-rebuild/

From KMOX

Sounds like C can be fixed. Also, if totally destroyed the airport has more than enough insurance coverage to replace it. Their policy is for over 800 million.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...ab-or-rebuild/

From KMOX

Sounds like C can be fixed. Also, if totally destroyed the airport has more than enough insurance coverage to replace it. Their policy is for over 800 million.
$832 million---BUILD baby, BUILD!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I disagree. If DL saw a need to operate STL-AMS/CDG/CUN or any other international route they could make it work. International arrivals arrive at Terminal E in BOS and DL shuttles the aircraft back to Terminal A.
Fair enough.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
ORD also shuttles planes from T5 --> T3
Old May 2, 2011, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Status Update

The area around the airport is now, for the most part, cleaned up. As the damaged roofs feature blue tarp and much of the debris has been cleared, traffic is now fairly normal in this area.

I heard that security was long today unless you have priority access, but I don't know if that was a post Osama issue or a terminal issue.

Regardless, I will provide updates on the terminals (e.g., food and amenities) and security lines (e.g., whether B connects to D) tomorrow and again later this week.

ZakkW
Old May 2, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ZakkW
The area around the airport is now, for the most part, cleaned up. As the damaged roofs feature blue tarp and much of the debris has been cleared, traffic is now fairly normal in this area.

I heard that security was long today unless you have priority access, but I don't know if that was a post Osama issue or a terminal issue.

Regardless, I will provide updates on the terminals (e.g., food and amenities) and security lines (e.g., whether B connects to D) tomorrow and again later this week.

ZakkW
Thanks for the update and promised future updates. Good to know we can count on FT for information!
Old May 2, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by GregL

Ran into Harlan (from the AC) at the ticket counter. They are not really in the loop in terms of medium / long term plans.
Harlan is one of the nicest AA employees I've ever met in all my years. Shout out to him!
Old May 3, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
STL Update as of 5/3

The following is an update on the STL airport as of this morning:
* In order to reach B gates, you must go through C/D security. The B gate security has not reopened and, according to my security guy this morning, won't be reopening.
* In the B terminal, Schlaflay, Quizinos, and a gift shop have all reopened and are available for business. You can walk there from the D security.
* The AC has a sign indicating that the club suffered structural damage and will relocate somewhere in D sometime in mid-May.
* The food court at the C/D gates is open and ready for business.
* Cheers restaurant just inside of D is boarded up. However, a gift shop right next to it is open.
* There is a shoe shine across from Cheers. This appears to be the only shoe shine after security.
* The automated walking floors is not on in some places in D; plan accordingly.
* There is a Wolfgang Puck's Express across from D4 and is open for business. It looks like something else (Starbucks?) is either open or going to be open shortly. However, it is not open for business as of this morning.
* There is another Schlaflay available and open for business after D6 when you turn the corner.
* There is a Citi Martinis next to D4 that looks like it is already open. There is also a snack cart across from D16.
* There are no restrooms in D beyond gates D12.
* There is a physical wall at D22 that prevents you from walking to the East Terminal. It looks like it is some kind of temporary wall, but at this point it is not possible to get past it.

Finally, pre-security there are a lot of areas that are boxed off and appears to be under construction (or soon to be under construction). I saw a sign indicating changes coming to the airport with a picture but did not spend the time to study it this morning.

ZakkW
Old May 3, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hyatt Gold
jet ways?

Last week a radio reporter stated that he had to use the stairs to deplane from an AA plane on D concourse. Is this true or do some or all of the AA gates have functioning jetways?
Old May 3, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
Today's Post article about the China cargo hub had a curious picture - wondering if there was something to it, or just the only picture they had on hand to represent a "Chinese" plane:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...0f917529f.html

Cathay wouldn't really fly passenger flights into STL, would they? They mention recent increased revenue with cargo and passengers...

Posting here due to code share with AA.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold, Marriott PLT, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by gmcnail
Today's Post article about the China cargo hub had a curious picture - wondering if there was something to it, or just the only picture they had on hand to represent a "Chinese" plane:

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...0f917529f.html

Cathay wouldn't really fly passenger flights into STL, would they? They mention recent increased revenue with cargo and passengers...

Posting here due to code share with AA.
Cathay won't fly passenger planes into STL...we are not a major hub for any airline. The picture on the page is a cargo plane.

I heard the same thing about turning Cheers into the new Admiral's Club, but it could take 3 to 4 weeks. The ticketing agent mentioned this to me on 5/1/2011.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:21 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by AABelleville
Last week a radio reporter stated that he had to use the stairs to deplane from an AA plane on D concourse. Is this true or do some or all of the AA gates have functioning jetways?
At least one gate had what appeared to be a setup of stairs down to the tarmac and then up to a plane. I believe I've heard this only affects 757 flights at that gate.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.