Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Further STL Airport Update as of 5/7

Originally Posted by ZakkW
The following is an update on the STL airport as of this morning:
* In order to reach B gates, you must go through C/D security. The B gate security has not reopened and, according to my security guy this morning, won't be reopening.
* In the B terminal, Schlaflay, Quizinos, and a gift shop have all reopened and are available for business. You can walk there from the D security.
* The AC has a sign indicating that the club suffered structural damage and will relocate somewhere in D sometime in mid-May.
* The food court at the C/D gates is open and ready for business.
* Cheers restaurant just inside of D is boarded up. However, a gift shop right next to it is open.
* There is a shoe shine across from Cheers. This appears to be the only shoe shine after security.
* The automated walking floors is not on in some places in D; plan accordingly.
* There is a Wolfgang Puck's Express across from D4 and is open for business. It looks like something else (Starbucks?) is either open or going to be open shortly. However, it is not open for business as of this morning.
* There is another Schlaflay available and open for business after D6 when you turn the corner.
* There is a Citi Martinis next to D4 that looks like it is already open. There is also a snack cart across from D16.
* There are no restrooms in D beyond gates D12.
* There is a physical wall at D22 that prevents you from walking to the East Terminal. It looks like it is some kind of temporary wall, but at this point it is not possible to get past it.

Finally, pre-security there are a lot of areas that are boxed off and appears to be under construction (or soon to be under construction). I saw a sign indicating changes coming to the airport with a picture but did not spend the time to study it this morning.

ZakkW
Further update of STL Airport as of 5/7 is as follows:
* Same security guy from Tuesday indicated that B gates are not open because, when whoever bid on security at the current gates, they did not contemplate B gates being open. Evidently, not enough personell to man these gates. Perhaps at some point the gates will reopen if this configuration (B/D) stays long enough.
* C concourse no longers has boards behind the metal gate blocking your access. There is now a wall with a door behind the metal gate.
* The Starbucks kiosk has launched and is now across from D6. There is also a Coastal News kiosk next to the Starbucks.
* There are a bunch of older looking computers wrapped in plastic outside an agent background processing center next to Citi Martinis. Among other things, these computers have CRT (and not LCD monitors). So, I would speculate that these are not going to be a computer center for flyer users (e.g., AC).
* There are new walls in several areas that, in some cases, have made new rooms that were not there earlier this week.
* AA is now operating out of D20. Agent indicated that AA has been since the tornado hit, but I am not sure. At least now the wall at D22 is painted. The place look abandonded when I checked it out on Tuesday hence my surprise today.
* Also, new to the D20 area is a Coastal News. It was not open this morning, but it appears to already be open for business.
* There are still no bathrooms beyond D12 that are operational. In looking around, that may be because there are no additional bathrooms until after D22 which, of course, you cannot get to at the moment.

I will provide a further update in a couple of weeks when I fly again. I hope at that point to report the reopening of the AC. I truly hope that someone beats me to that report though.

ZakkW
Old May 7, 2011, 11:08 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
It appears that D18 is being used as a non-jet bridge gate. There is a staircase at the gate leading down to the tarmac and another set of stairs next to the painted line which a plane would park on. I saw at least one flight on the monitors assigned to this gate.

Greg
Old May 8, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I didn't see this posted. It was reported after the recent airport authority meeting that they will in fact be able to repair "C".

From KMOX
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...-pretty-again/
Old May 8, 2011, 3:00 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by GregL
It appears that D18 is being used as a non-jet bridge gate. There is a staircase at the gate leading down to the tarmac and another set of stairs next to the painted line which a plane would park on. I saw at least one flight on the monitors assigned to this gate.

Greg
I was on 1006 which is a 757 to Ord this am and we walked outside to the stairs to board. Kinda fun actually.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Flew out this morning, out of D20. Situation pretty much as described above, with the following additions:
Large crane in the departures drive, blocking traffic for a while.
At 7:30 AM, long lines at the DL check-in desks. No line at AA.
No line at C/D security, either for the Priority Access line or the Kettle line.
Lots of plywood visible where there used to be glass, mostly in the main terminal upstairs and the C concourse low gates, which seem to have gotten the brunt of the damage. No visible damage at the higher-numbered C gates.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, National Executive
I flew into STL this morning and they were beginning to replace window panels on the garage structure by the rental car shuttle pickup.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
* Same security guy from Tuesday indicated that B gates are not open because, when whoever bid on security at the current gates, they did not contemplate B gates being open. Evidently, not enough personell to man these gates. Perhaps at some point the gates will reopen if this configuration (B/D) stays long enough.
* C concourse no longers has boards behind the metal gate blocking your access. There is now a wall with a door behind the metal gate.
* The Starbucks kiosk has launched and is now across from D6. There is also a Coastal News kiosk next to the Starbucks.
* There are a bunch of older looking computers wrapped in plastic outside an agent background processing center next to Citi Martinis. Among other things, these computers have CRT (and not LCD monitors). So, I would speculate that these are not going to be a computer center for flyer users (e.g., AC).
* There are new walls in several areas that, in some cases, have made new rooms that were not there earlier this week.
* AA is now operating out of D20. Agent indicated that AA has been since the tornado hit, but I am not sure. At least now the wall at D22 is painted. The place look abandonded when I checked it out on Tuesday hence my surprise today.
* Also, new to the D20 area is a Coastal News. It was not open this morning, but it appears to already be open for business.
* There are still no bathrooms beyond D12 that are operational. In looking around, that may be because there are no additional bathrooms until after D22 which, of course, you cannot get to at the moment.

I will provide a further update in a couple of weeks when I fly again. I hope at that point to report the reopening of the AC. I truly hope that someone beats me to that report though.

ZakkW
Two additional notes when I was landing yesterday morning. In looking at the outside of the airport from the back side, E gates now extend into where D gates used to be. Thus, from outside, after D26 you see E40. I believe that D used to run to D40 (or something like that) and E only ran until E16 (or something like that). I am not sure when this numbering changed, or if this will affect whether D will ever be reconnected with E.

Second, there is not a lot of seating in D. Near the moving walkways, many people are sitting along the wall thus providing only a narrow pathway to walk. Be careful that you don't knock out someone over when you depart your gate!

ZakkW
Old May 12, 2011, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

ZakkW
I arrived at STL Tuesday and departed Wednesday. Due to congestion in the alley between the C and D concourses, we had to wait for traffic to clear on both arrival and departure. I rarely remember experiencing such delays on the north side of the C concourse.

Any mention of the C concourse have been obliterated from all airport signs. It is as if it never existed.

The carpet on the D concourse appears to be new and so is the wall paint.

Last night, as my flight became airborne, I could not help but notice how pitch black concourse C was in and out. That stood in stark contrast to the rest of the airport.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Anyone have any updates?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by JimboM1391
Anyone have any updates?
It's as reported so far. Left from there on 05/13. D terminal actually looks pretty decent.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post STL General vs Admirals Club Updates

I've moved some posts over to the STL Admirals Club thread to keep things organized. Please post general terminal updates here and AC-specific updates there. Thanks!

/Moderator

Originally Posted by dstan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For information on the STL Admirals Club, which is temporarily closed, please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
It may be a year to bring back C Concourse

It was reconfirmed by airport administration today that Concourse C is indeed repairable. Preliminary engineering reports put the restoration work between nine and 12 months, according to Airport Director Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Proceeding to Security

They've closed the passageway from the east departures door to security (the one that passed by the chapel). For several weeks now there's been an overhead No Entry sign there. Well now you can't, you have to walk north past the luggage carousels to the main passageway that connects all the terminals.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:39 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by siankaan1
They've closed the passageway from the east departures door to security (the one that passed by the chapel). For several weeks now there's been an overhead No Entry sign there. Well now you can't, you have to walk north past the luggage carousels to the main passageway that connects all the terminals.
I don't believe this is specifically related to the tornado, but rather the overall airport experience project underway.

Greg
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:22 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I came in last night and to exit D concourse you now have to walk past the old AC, down the connector to B concourse and out the B concourse security exit.
Quite a hike from D20. I hope this doesn't last long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.