Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by logicalrealist
... sure would be nice if they would announce the rules before they just start tinkering with the site. People might not know exactly how it affects them until the data is shown, but it'd save us from trying to infer things from random bits of cruft on different versions of the site. (& I think that once they start throwing random stuff on sites people check regularly, it's reasonable to expect that it will cause some speculation.)

Personally, I'd hoped to make it a bit further before changes hit, but I undersand why AA would see the need.
I am betting their plan was to make changes to all their sites to announce Million Miler as a program and make the system changes necessary to support it. This was likely an inadvertent change to the mobile site that (luckily) the OP saw and posted here.

I am hopeful that the starting date will be after the 30th anniversary promos.

Dan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
Don't see changes on site but in code from viewing the page ...

I don't see the changes on the site but brought up the webpage code and did a search for million. I see in two places:

<div style="margin: 0px;display:none" id="millionMilerTooltipContent">
AAdvantage miles earned through select mileage activity count toward Million Miler<sup>SM</sup> status. <br />
The Million Miler program rewards AAdvantage members with additional benefits when specific mileage thresholds are achieved.<br /> To learn more, read about the <a href="/homePage.do">Million Miler program</a>

</div>

<!-- -Added Code for Million Miler -->

<div id="pbnMillionMilerMilesBody" class="topNegative10 displayNone" >

<!-- Condition for checking MillionMilelevel code If Code is null or not -->

<table id="tblpbnMillionMilerMilesBody" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" summary="Mileage Activity table" class="zeroTopMargin">

</table>
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:51 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Cannot see any changes in my account anywhere today. However, you would think that any significant change like this would have to be eased into place (i.e. starting 1/1/12, etc..). Look at the ill will that would be created by just dropping a bomb like this with acct holders nearing the mm mark.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AA LTPlt,DL Silv,SPG Gld,HH Diamond,Mar Silv,IHG Gld
When did this change first appear ??

Mrs passed 2 mil with *wood transfer on Apr 13 hope she got in under the wire
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
People here have been screaming for months about the imminent changes.

I have to confess the only words I am interested in hearing are the words "grandfather clause".

If we can dream, I would love to hear something like lifetime EXP for 5M. Now that would be cool..............
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jss
Cannot see any changes in my account anywhere today. However, you would think that any significant change like this would have to be eased into place (i.e. starting 1/1/12, etc..). Look at the ill will that would be created by just dropping a bomb like this with acct holders nearing the mm mark.
Considering how few people actually know about this undocumented program, this "bomb" would be very silent and generate ill will among a minuscule fraction of their members. For most, they would learn about a cool new features that they'd never heard of before. I would put no reliance on a "convenient" starting date.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by danorum
I don't have the ** note at the bottom of my mobile activity, but I did look at the page source and it looks like the bottom table on the page (that shows zero miles for each of my postings for HHonors double dip and AAdvantage e-shopping) is called "pbnMillionMilerMilesBody".

So, it looks like at least hotel miles and shopping aren't going to be in my Million totals...

I did just transfer 60K Starwood today, so I will be interested to see if they are before or after whatever date AA picks. My bet is after.

Dan
Just for grins, I went back a month where I did have flights, and no activity is showing miles (all zeros) in the "pbnMillionMilerMilesBody" table at the bottom of the mobile site.

I just wanted to point out that my posting above that said shopping and HHonors miles weren't showing up doesn't really matter.

Dan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by richarddd
Apologies if I've missed something, but is this the first public acknowledgement that there is a million mile program?

There is a MM program currently in existence.
The short version is:

(Program) lifetime Gold at 1MM and (Program) lifetine at 2MM.
Each gets 4 EVIPs and very specific letter laying out what you get.

The changes being discussed revolve around what types of miles will qualify, and if the statuses will remain the same. There is also no indication if the 1MM and 2MM mark will remain or if it will be pushed up.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by danorum

I am hopeful that the starting date will be after the 30th anniversary promos.

I wonder if this will be announced as one of the daily promotions, even though it is actually looking likely to be an adverse change for most of us.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
This is typical fear mongering and rumors. Please add a grain of salt when interpreting disclaimers. I can promise you that no formal announcement has been made, nor have I heard any rumblings or rumors about any changes. I imagine someone should question the official AA individual here and they'd get a solid answer. Pure speculation otherwise.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by richarddd
Apologies if I've missed something, but is this the first public acknowledgement that there is a million mile program?
I think it is the first mention of the program that is not a personal message directed at someone who has already achieved million miler status.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2.3MM
This is the first time the AA site has differentiated between "Program to Date" miles from all sources, and "Million Miler Eligible" miles. Yes, it's just on the mobile site, but if they have coders working on this ability, then it's just a matter of time. I agree the previous rumors were just that and unproductive, but this is different. You can't ignore the coding that is appearing on AA's actual mobile site as I type this.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
This is typical fear mongering and rumors. Please add a grain of salt when interpreting disclaimers. I can promise you that no formal announcement has been made, nor have I heard any rumblings or rumors about any changes. I imagine someone should question the official AA individual here and they'd get a solid answer. Pure speculation otherwise.
What would be AA's incentive for changing the program? I have a business school professor who has consulted extensively for AA over the years, and we've had some good chats about mileage hounds and AAdvantage. He has always told me that AA sees people like us as massive benefits - our quest for miles and million miler status forces companies like Citibank and Starwood to buy AA miles hand over fist. He has always characterized AAdvantage as a very profitable part of AA.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
What would be AA's incentive for changing the program? I have a business school professor who has consulted extensively for AA over the years, and we've had some good chats about mileage hounds and AAdvantage. He has always told me that AA sees people like us as massive benefits - our quest for miles and million miler status forces companies like Citibank and Starwood to buy AA miles hand over fist. He has always characterized AAdvantage as a very profitable part of AA.
I was thinking of this earlier, and I think it would allow them to tier mileage prices to partners based on whether they would count towards million miler status or not. It could also help them get Citi cards more valued than the *wood Amex if Citi mileage counted and partner transfers didn't.

Lots of ways to slice and dice to give more value to some earning methods (including BIS) and less to others.

Dan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
I imagine someone should question the official AA individual here and they'd get a solid answer.
I would, but I understand that he/she is working on a flash-mob video right now and cannot be disturbed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.