Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by flyingchief
I want this AND the ability to accrue additional MM qual miles from other sources as long as they don't exceed this amount. That way the program is capped, but encourages activity with these partners. This solves the complaint of being able to accrue miles without ever having set foot on a plane.
I have to disagree as adding a cap system won't be fair to those who actually fly a lot on AA.

Under your example, you're asking for something like a 200k limit so that you can put in 80k flown miles + 80k in PLT elite bonuses + additional 40k from other sources.

Then what incentive would an EXP have who actually flies more than 100k mi per year? If it's capped at 200k, that loyal EXP won't earn anything more than 200k no matter how much more he flies over the 100k mark.

Activity with other partners like eShopping, Dining, and credit cards are a way to earn redeemable miles so that you can use them for award flights, not as an incentive to be a loyal AA flier.

A MM qualification should be an incentive to reward the most frequent fliers who actually step foot on the plane and fly somewhere. It should not be a reward to those who buys thousands of Healthy Choice brands or do multiple 75k-100k Citicard signup bonus churns.

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Just how many people do you think are buying $67,000 worth of flowers just to get lifetime platinum?
You'd be surprised how much businesses pay for stuff. What's keeping a hotel business owner who has a CitiAAdvantage VISA Business card to charge $67,000 on flowers as an actual business expense for stuff like weddings, thank yous to his/her employees, or even tidying up the hotel?

Last edited by kebosabi; Apr 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Just how many people do you think are buying $67,000 worth of flowers just to get lifetime platinum?
If I had $67K to burn so easily like that, I don't think I'd need PLT status, haha
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by danorum
So we made 10 at 4:24pm Central time... You forgot to mention what time zone you are in. I think that is pretty close, and since you were the only entry in the pool, you win.
And the thread continues to pick up steam, even absent any facts.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I have to disagree as adding a cap system won't be fair to those who actually fly a lot on AA.

Under your example, you're asking for something like a 200k limit so that you can put in 80k flown miles + 80k in PLT elite bonuses + additional 40k from other sources.

Then what incentive would an EXP have who actually flies more than 100k mi per year? If it's capped at 200k, that loyal EXP won't earn anything more than 200k no matter how much more he flies over the 100k mark.

Activity with other partners like eShopping, Dining, and credit cards are a way to earn redeemable miles so that you can use them for award flights, not as an incentive to be a loyal AA flier.

A MM qualification should be an incentive to reward the most frequent fliers who actually step foot on the plane and fly somewhere. It should not be a reward to those who buys thousands of Healthy Choice brands or do multiple 75k-100k Citicard signup bonus churns.
You're not understanding what I'm typing. I'll try to explain it yet again.

I"m not proposing any cap on miles that could be earned. I'm hoping that they (instead of not allowing partner miles) cap them so that they are not allowed to exceed BIS or EQM. Got it?

How could you possibly interpret that I was asking them to cap the amount of MM qualifying miles that you could receive from actually flying on their planes?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:26 pm

Why not? AA generates revenue from the sale of miles, presumably it made business sense up until now. These mileage programs are a huge moneymaker for airlines.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Citibank is a strategic financial partner of AA. It would not surprise me, at all, if its mileage awards receive some preference in any new MM scheme.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
And the thread continues to pick up steam, even absent any facts.
Do you think facts would make it go faster? slower? other?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One possibility (for which there are plenty precedents in other areas) is that you have decreasing caps based on status. On the low end, the cap could be as severe as no miles from anything except BIS if you don't have status. At the high end, it could be as forgiving as all miles count while you're EXP.

I can't even begin to make a complete list of precedents in other areas, but:

Citi credit card spend AA miles are capped yearly, but not if you're AA elite.
You have to pay baggage fees, but not if you're AA elite.
You can only redeem for certain awards if you have 25000 miles or more in your account, but not if you're AA elite.
Etc.
Etc.

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I"m not proposing any cap on miles that could be earned. I'm hoping that they (instead of not allowing partner miles) cap them so that they are not allowed to exceed BIS or EQM. Got it?
No, but I know that you're angry because you're seeing the possibility that you won't get to enjoy the bennies.

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Citibank is a strategic financial partner of AA. It would not surprise me, at all, if its mileage awards receive some preference in any new MM scheme.
This would likely move me back from my Starwood Amex to the Citi AAdvantage card as my primary.

Dan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club

I have a Citi MC and a Citi Amex. I got a 35K miles bonus from one this year and a 75K bonus from from the other. Between the 2 cards, I'll also get about another 100-120K miles/year in $ for $ spend (if they continue to count as they have historically). This ability to count/accrue these has my sights on making 1MM and LT Gold in under 2 years from now.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:33 pm

I’m pretty much cool with a two-tiered MM qualification system as it’s quite absurd that a person can just charge $2 million on an miles earning credit card or buy $67,000 worth of flowers at 1-800-flowers.com (@ 30 mi/$) and obtain AA LT PLT without ever stepping foot on a plane as it stands now.
People with status who never fly wouldn't seem to hurt anyone.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:37 pm

No, but I know that you're angry because you're seeing the possibility that you won't get to enjoy the bennies.
I blame 50% of my anger on the radiation from the full body scanners.

Agreed on the post above about allowing more sources of miles to count based upon status level. That would for sure incentivize folks to fly and make status in order to accrue "extra" miles counting towards MM qualification from hotels, rental cars, AAdvatage dining/shopping and CC spend.

I would be very happy with this as someone that will easily be making/maintaining Platinum by early to mid-Summer each year.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:38 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Due to a few cardiac events among Fters the title has been changed to reflect the fact that there has been no formal announcement.

~moderator
Old Apr 21, 2011, 4:46 pm

I blame 50% of my anger on the radiation from the full body scanners.

Opt out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.