Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
What would be AA's incentive for changing the program? I have a business school professor who has consulted extensively for AA over the years, and we've had some good chats about mileage hounds and AAdvantage. He has always told me that AA sees people like us as massive benefits - our quest for miles and million miler status forces companies like Citibank and Starwood to buy AA miles hand over fist. He has always characterized AAdvantage as a very profitable part of AA.
If some change is implemented, it will be interesting to see the reaction of organizations like Citi and BankDirect as MM-chasers divert their credit card spending to other cards and empty their bank accounts. Presumably these organizations have been offering these miles because they find this business profitable. Of course, MM-chasers may not be numerous enough to make a difference, but they might given that they can often involve lots of miles per person.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Additional speculations

I would imagine that if they are finally going to give more publicity to the Million Miler feature, their lawyers would insist on the "select mileage" language to make room for future changes. It is worth keeping an eye on this topic however.

The sloppy table work and and non-functioning buttons indicate that someone in IT accidentally released code that was not supposed to be online yet.

I think that Citibank, in particular, would have to agree to any substantial changes that would devalue the miles that they hand out. If a shift does come, I would expect a premium (higher fee) card from Citibank that offers a least a limited opportunity for MQM miles.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by olddallas
I would expect a premium (higher fee) card from Citibank that offers a least a limited opportunity for MQM miles.
Why would I want an AA branded card that gave me MQM?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by olddallas
I think that Citibank, in particular, would have to agree to any substantial changes that would devalue the miles that they hand out. If a shift does come, I would expect a premium (higher fee) card from Citibank that offers a least a limited opportunity for MQM miles.
I agree, the features of the AA Citi cards vs the UA/CO Chase cards are growing very rapidly.

Over at UA Chase, they have more options to choose from including cards that have a higher annual fee but comes with benefits such as earning EQMs, waived baggage fees, higher earnings on select purchases, etc.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
What would be AA's incentive for changing the program?
Maybe it's come to a point where AA's revenue from selling miles is starting to outweigh the benefits it has as:

• making all miles count toward MM status means...
  • just makes it too easy to become on mile-anairre at AA
  • attaining 1MM achieves LT GLD = too many lifetime elites
  • which means too many people that AA can't charge baggage fees
  • too many people that have miles that use them for award tickets that AA has to eat up YQ charges for in this day and age of high fuel prices
  • in the case of 2MM LT PLTs, that also means defacto LT OW Sapphire means that there are slo too many LT OW Sapphires using OW lounges abroad which AA gets charged for

Last edited by kebosabi; Apr 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
It looks like much of this code is also on the "computer" version of AA, but is not displayed.

If you look at the page source, all of the same stuff is there, it just isn't shown.

Also, there is a link to look at your "Million Miler" mileage - https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...=Mileage_Miles

or "Award Miles"
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...us=Award_Miles

Dan
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Ominous.

I'm 3 days of solid SPG conversions away from MM GLD. I've been putting it off thinking we would have some advance warning. I hope that is still the case and this is just a glitch.

I don't see much on the mobile site anyway besides the mention of million miler. Can't see anywhere where they are explicitly differentiating CC miles from flight miles in million miler value. For that matter, all I see is the PTD value, merely only a reference to million miler that redirects me to the home page if I click it.

Of course, now I've got to watch this thread like a hawk, and see if I need to take some fast action, or if it's worth while. If they have indeed made the official change in PTD counter (or created a new Million Miler counter) that excludes anything but BIS miles, there's no point in even converting SPG at this point, as opportunity would be over. At any rate, what a way to enter the holiday weekend...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by danorum
It looks like much of this code is also on the "computer" version of AA, but is not displayed.

If you look at the page source, all of the same stuff is there, it just isn't shown.

Also, there is a link to look at your "Million Miler" mileage - https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...=Mileage_Miles

or "Award Miles"
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...us=Award_Miles

Dan
Your links do not work.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tbrein
Your links do not work.
I was able to bring both up for me, but they may not have the right authentication check built in. Open a web browser and go to aa.com and pull up your account.

Then paste one of these into the address bar and see if you get a printable summary (one showing zeros and the other link showing the earned miles).

Dan

Code:
Here are the links so they don't get "shortened" (hopefully).
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBalanceSummary.do?mileage_status=Mileage_Miles
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBalanceSummary.do?mileage_status=Award_Miles
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by bareflanks
Mine remains unchanged; I joined AA in Oct 98 and my account begins with 0 (zero); I wonder if they are working this change from the top down or the bottom up. Would like to know if Lanikai or other early joiners have seen changes to their Account viewing.
I think we count as "early joiners" (Nov 81 for Mr. Ord Liza and Aug 85 for me); both of our accounts had two separate "View My Miles" sections this morning and both are now normal (except the line for Program to Date Miles moved).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:37 pm

I was able to bring both up for me, but they may not have the right authentication check built in. Open a web browser and go to aa.com and pull up your account.

Then paste one of these into the address bar and see if you get a printable summary (one showing zeros and the other link showing the earned miles).

Dan
I was able to get your links to work.

Don't like the 'new' print summary. I am hoping that it is something that wasn't meant to be released yet, and/or, the 0 values for all my CC activity are simply place holders because they aren't pulling it from a database (i.e. my account) yet.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT

Dan

Code:
Here are the links so they don't get "shortened" (hopefully).
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBalanceSummary.do?mileage_status=Mileage_Miles
https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBalanceSummary.do?mileage_status=Award_Miles
It worked. Thanks

Last edited by tbrein; Apr 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tbrein
Your links do not work.
You have to be logged into your account. I am not seeing the Million Miler miles on my summaries.

Oh well, the party had to stop sometime. I hope it continues through the summer since I can squeeze in another 100k miles.

I agree it's all rampant speculation now, but the indication would be mileage sources would be restricted. It could be anywhere from nearly as permissive as it is now to UA's policy of only having BIS miles count. I hope there changes include a lifetime EXP status since both DL and UA have equivalents: 4 MM gets lifetime PM and 3 MM gets lifetime 1K.

If there aren't rapid improvements to the credit card product, I will cancel it though. There's no sense in maintaining it to get that extra small edge for program-to-date miles if they're not going to accumulate in anything besides RDM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by thehawk75
I was able to get your links to work.

Don't like the 'new' print summary. I am hoping that it is something that wasn't meant to be released yet, and/or, the 0 values for all my CC activity are simply place holders because they aren't pulling it from a database (i.e. my account) yet.
I got it to work too. After I was logged in I pasted:

https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...=Mileage_Miles

into the address bar and I see the same thing, 0s after all activity, including completed flights.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
I got it to work too. After I was logged in I pasted:

https://www.aa.com/myAccount/printBa...=Mileage_Miles

into the address bar and I see the same thing, 0s after all activity, including completed flights.
I just switched my view to another month where I had flight activity, and when I generated this print summary, indeed my flight miles also appeared as 0's in the Million Miler summary. So, safe to conclude that the 0's are mere place holders (or null values being reformatted to 0's) -- for now anyway.

I can only hope that if AA is going to change the rules for MM, that they'll give some of us who are close a chance to squeak in under the old rules. I can only hope though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.