Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:06 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bamboosensation
My friend who regularly flies UA and Luftthansa, has often said he's found last minute cheap J tix to Europe or elsewhere for under 2K. Does that ever happen on AA or partners? I often read about deep discount sale prices for coach, but not usually for J. Is there a thread for this?
The best place I've noticed that tracks good deal premium fares is located in the Mileage Run Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2011-a.html. The folks over there are on top of all the latest fares.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:09 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tashamtu
Hi all!

I'm very new to the frequent flyer game, but i'm learning.

I have an AAdvantage credit card where i earn points using my card for everyday purchases. I have accumulated 95,000 points.

What is elite/gold/platinum/etc status and what does it get you? How many points until I reach that status?

Also can I purchase event tickets through the AA program paying with miles?

Thanks!
AAdvantage Status can only be earned by flying. Learn more about AAdvantage Program status levels and how to earn the status in the Flyer Guide Wiki. AAdvantage Elite Status

Wen you are ready to use your miles visit the AAdvantage section on aa.com.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: spg
Originally Posted by tashamtu
Hi all!

I'm very new to the frequent flyer game, but i'm learning.

I have an AAdvantage credit card where i earn points using my card for everyday purchases. I have accumulated 95,000 points.

What is elite/gold/platinum/etc status and what does it get you? How many points until I reach that status?

Also can I purchase event tickets through the AA program paying with miles?

Thanks!

I'm very much a new person to this as well tashamtu and I just recently too accepted a citi visa business plat card for 75kmiles...however I don't think your question is/was intended for this thread just yet...a good starter point is at the stickies up at the top where they explain in detail what elite status and benefits there are.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ere-first.html

this thread specifically, scroll down to elite status it is the very first link...as for purchasing event tickets with miles i'm sure that someone else more knowleagable will answer that for you and welcome to flyertalk!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Can a child under the age of 6 earn miles on a parents account when flying together or would they have to have their own AAdvantage account?

Looked all over aa.com and could not find the answer.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Can a child under the age of 6 earn miles on a parents account when flying together or would they have to have their own AAdvantage account?

Looked all over aa.com and could not find the answer.

Thanks.
They have to have their own account. When they get enough miles in the account, you can book them an award ticket (or book an award ticket for yourself or anybody else). You only get miles from flying for your own flights.

Many FT members get their child a frequent flyer account at birth.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:24 am

AA Gold - faster security at MCO?

Hi, I am not a newbie, but the last time I asked a question on the subject of status(even after searching first) I felt slightly flamed so...
First - thank you for this thread! Great idea!
As I am newly Gold and have not flown yet with this status, I am really hoping that I can avoid the awful mess of MCO security somewhat. Does MCO have a separate line for elite passengers?

Thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:49 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I haven't been through MCO in years, so I can't really give my own personal experience...

However, we do have a wiki page that is in theory up-to-date: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Lines_%28AA%29.

According to that page, MCO does NOT have an elite security line.

PS: Congrats on Gold! ^
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:51 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As was Randy's policy with the original threads in other forums, please reserve this thread for questions and answers only, rather than meta discussion of the thread concept or other forum issues.

Suffice it to say that we all applaud HNL and the other members providing responses in this thread for taking the time to contribute to the AA Forum and the FT community! ^

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jan 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by glirette
I’m new to this forum and have read the newbie threads I don’t want to seem like I am Hijacking here but figure this may be a good thread to ask this.

In November I started a brand new job and at this point it appears that my future involves a lot of travel. My typical week has me flying to one destination and staying there until Friday then flying home. It is estimated that I will be home during the week 20 percent of the time. In addition I am in flux with my living arrangements and considering relocation. I do intent to travel sometimes not on the company dime. So far I have earned 6 credits with Southwest since Nov and a short round trip flight with AA.

I’ve had an AA account since 1998 and a Southwest FF account for a few years. I have never redeemed any rewards although I have earned around 65,000 over time with AA. They have all since expired. I have also entered into the challenge to reactivate my AA miles. I was intending to try and get A list status with Southwest and also work towards building my AA miles using shopping programs and some flights when appropriate. I have really been struggling trying to figure out which airline I should try to stick with. My company tends to go for the inexpensive rate so I do not expect to be buying a lot of high end tickets.

With the announcement of the change of the Southwest program I figure I would throw it out and ask for suggestions?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: LH FTL,Hyatt Platinum,BMI Silver
Newbie questions

Hello,

I´a a newbie and still not very experienced concerning AA and the AAdvantage program,so please dont kill me when I ask you the following questions:-)) I´ve just read some parts of the threads for newbies above,but couldnt find an answer for my questions which are as follows:

1, I´d like to book an award flight one way from DXB via LHR to MAD by using BA and IB (or alternatively BA only).Is it correct,that such an itn would require 35k AA miles in business-class-according to the "all-partner" award chart?

2,Do I always have to double all amount of miles in the AAdvantage award charts for return flights (e.g.in the charts for AA-only award flights,all partner chart
and oneworld award chart)?

3,What is the MAIN difference (just in two or three keywords) between the AA "all-partner" award and the "oneworld" awards and do I always have the choice between both options? Which offer is usually more recommendable for oneway travel e.g.for the leg mentioned above or for trips between the US and Asia or for journeys between Europe and Asia?

4,Is it true or just a rumour that BA charges its passengers very high fees for taxes,fuel charges,airport fees etc.?

5,I´ve just missed the last promotion of AA before christmas to purchase miles and get up to 20k miles bonus for your purchase.Does AA repeat these or similar offers regularly and is there currently an other way (apart from flying of course) to collect some AA miles quickly?

Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful information,clue or advice for an AA-newbie in this forum.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by kaninchen
1, I´d like to book an award flight one way from DXB via LHR to MAD by using BA and IB (or alternatively BA only).Is it correct,that such an itn would require 35k AA miles in business-class-according to the "all-partner" award chart?
All-partner awards must use two airlines (other than AA), so you would need to use BA and IB on that routing. It would cost 30K miles each way in business between Europe and Middle East.

You also have the option of flying RJ dxb-amm-mad. This would require a Oneworld award, but because it is 3532 miles each way, would only be 75k one-way in J or 80k RT in J.

2,Do I always have to double all amount of miles in the AAdvantage award charts for return flights (e.g.in the charts for AA-only award flights,all partner chart
and oneworld award chart)?
All-partner awards are one-way, so you would need two at a total of 60k miles.

Oneworld awards are mileage based, dxb-lhr-mad-lhr-dxb is 8388 miles, which would be 80k miles for a Oneworld Distance Zone 3 Business Class award.

3,What is the MAIN difference (just in two or three keywords) between the AA "all-partner" award and the "oneworld" awards and do I always have the choice between both options? Which offer is usually more recommendable for oneway travel e.g.for the leg mentioned above or for trips between the US and Asia or for journeys between Europe and Asia?
The main difference is that All-partner awards are geographic zone based and one-way while Oneworld awards are mileage based.

I think Oneworld awards are generally more recommendable for leisure travel based on the ability to use many stopovers, they can be a great value. However, for the situations you've mentioned, all-partner awards are a better value.

If you simply want to fly one-way dxb-lhr-mad, an all partner award is significantly cheaper (30k in J), because for that specific trip a Oneworld award is 80k in J by virtue of the distance zones, as one way is on the low end of distance zone 3 and round trip is on the high end of distance zone 3.

Between the US and Asia1 one-way an All-partner award is 50k in J while a Oneworld would (probably, depends on distance) be 80k in J.

Between Europe and Asia(1 or 2) is 52.5K in J. A Oneworld would (probably, depends on distance) be 80k in J.

4,Is it true or just a rumour that BA charges its passengers very high fees for taxes,fuel charges,airport fees etc.?
Yes, though the airport fees at LHR aren't really imposed by BA.

5,I´ve just missed the last promotion of AA before christmas to purchase miles and get up to 20k miles bonus for your purchase.Does AA repeat these or similar offers regularly and is there currently an other way (apart from flying of course) to collect some AA miles quickly?
There's a promotionright now to earn 15k AA miles for purchasing 40k.

There are also bonuses for opening new Citi AAdvantage cards, which will also earn you RDM on spending.

Last edited by BrewerSEA; Jan 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:21 pm

Ultra Newb Question.

Dear Flying Wizards,

I've amassed 200k+ AAdvantage miles (Gold status) and I'm looking to get the best value out of them. My home airports are BUR and LAX and I'd like to visit Japan + London this year. Schedule's fairly flexible, and I'm also considering a RTW trip. What's the best bang-for-my-mile?

I've read up on the glossary 'til my eyes glazed over and understood the basics of this game, but... I figure I may as well check in here for sage advice.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:36 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by goldier
Dear Flying Wizards,

I've amassed 200k+ AAdvantage miles (Gold status) and I'm looking to get the best value out of them. My home airports are BUR and LAX and I'd like to visit Japan + London this year. Schedule's fairly flexible, and I'm also considering a RTW trip. What's the best bang-for-my-mile?

I've read up on the glossary 'til my eyes glazed over and understood the basics of this game, but... I figure I may as well check in here for sage advice.

Thanks!
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, goldier!

I'll chime in with a few thoughts... From a "best bang for the mile" standpoint, I think many members would tell you to fly international first class on oneworld partner airlines. For Japan, you can use Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines; both offer great first class experiences on the ground and in the air. For London, British Airways is likely to operate more flights, but there's a pretty hefty surcharge levied by BA. Taking AA may not be a bad option.

To get a sense of which oneworld fly to which cities, I'd suggest playing with the oneworld interactive map found her: http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP (It can also be accessed straight from the oneworld alliance website.)

As for redeeming for an "all-partner" award or a oneworld award, the answer will depend on our itinerary.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by goldier
Dear Flying Wizards,

Thanks!
If you choose to do a RTW trip I think you would be getting the most value out of your miles. An all-partner award is 220k miles to fly 35-50k in J. You could easily visit 6 continents in that distance zone. The ex-USA cost for a DONE6 is $14,000, so that's a nearly 16 cpm redemption.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA
is there a place on AA.com where you can see past itineraries?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.