Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by gemac
Hi, dolt. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Business class / First Class awards to Australia/New Zealand are notoriously hard to get. The flights are so long that everybody wants them. Qantas is the only Oneworld carrier you can get them on. Qantas gives their own frequent flyers a 30-day head start on those booking with other miles, and their own people have a tendency to snap up the premium seats before we get a crack at them.

It is possible to route through Asia, but will cost extra miles and lengthen the trip by quite a bit, so I don't think that is a good option for you.

I have two suggestions. One is to keep looking yourself for award flights on dates that work for you. You can't see them on AA's site, but many other Oneworld airlines will show them on their sites.

The other option is to break the journey in the middle, time permitting. Fly NYC-HNL, stopover for a day, NYC-SYD-AUK. Since HNL becomes the North American gateway in this itinerary, a stopover is permitted. You can do the same on the return. If you have to go in coach, this is a lot easier way to do it, and gives you a chance to see a bit of Hawaii, go to the beach, whatever you like.
would it cost any extra miles to route through south america on LA, say via SCL?

i'm not too familiar with claiming awards, but maybe availability on LA would be better than QF or JL ... not sure how to see their award inventory, though, as it's not listed on expert flyer.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by brp
We were just through MCO today and there does not appear to be any AA elite line. We came in from the right, so it's possible that it was there and we missed it, but I saw no signage.

Even with what looked like a zoo, we made it from the ID-check-TSA-person onto the little train to gates 1-29 in about 15 minutes. There was a non-TSA guy taking folks with kids out of the two main lines and into a shorter central scanner line.

Cheers.
same here ... i had a hard time finding it too, but it may just have been the shortest line instead of an elite line. all of the other lines were backed up to the escalators (just short of AA ticket counter IIRC), and i had some free time, so i did hunt for the elite/expert line before queuing up.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:02 am

Hi all,

Flying AA economy for the first time (normally a BA premium pax) from LHR-MIA with my missus. Our obvious preference is to fly in J hence we were wondering whether special deals are often offered at checkin? If there are, what sort of price is normally offered?

Searching the forums I can't find anything relating to cash special offer upgrades at airport, only posts to do with vouchers and miles.

I am flying on a BA ticket (as the MIA flight is a BA Codeshare) so dont know whether this would kurb the opportunity to do an airport upgrade?

thanks for any info!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Morgo
Hi all,

Flying AA economy for the first time (normally a BA premium pax) from LHR-MIA with my missus. Our obvious preference is to fly in J hence we were wondering whether special deals are often offered at checkin? If there are, what sort of price is normally offered?

Searching the forums I can't find anything relating to cash special offer upgrades at airport, only posts to do with vouchers and miles.

I am flying on a BA ticket (as the MIA flight is a BA Codeshare) so dont know whether this would kurb the opportunity to do an airport upgrade?

thanks for any info!
i believe you're referring to "kiosk upgrades" a.k.a. LFBU upgrades. info can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

i could be wrong, but i believe they are only offered domestically, not internationally.

hopefully other FTers will correct me if i am wrong about the international part ...

EDIT TO ADD: here is says they may be offered at some airports for limited flights, though when and where is not noted.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...des_.28LFBU.29

Last edited by btwayland; Jan 10, 2011 at 6:03 am Reason: added int'l link
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by btwayland
i believe you're referring to "kiosk upgrades" a.k.a. LFBU upgrades. info can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

i could be wrong, but i believe they are only offered domestically, not internationally.

hopefully other FTers will correct me if i am wrong about the international part ...

EDIT TO ADD: here is says they may be offered at some airports for limited flights, though when and where is not noted.

Many thanks for the really useful reply! Appreciated ^
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:17 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btwayland

LBFU are absolutely offered internationally!

I've seen them numerous times on NRT routes, and I've talked personally to FTers who've seen them on European routes. Now, just because they do exist doesn't necessarily mean they happen often...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
LBFU are absolutely offered internationally!

I've seen them numerous times on NRT routes, and I've talked personally to FTers who've seen them on European routes. Now, just because they do exist doesn't necessarily mean they happen often...
Good to know - the Biz fare codes are curretly showing as 7 and when I look at seat map mroe than half of the seats are free. Hopefully this means that for Friday there will be quite a bit of availability in J and we get and LBFU.

From the links I've learned that I shouldnt check in online and instead do it from the kiosk at the airport! I love FT
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:28 pm

AA Promo/Discount Code

Hi,

Does anyone know of a promo code I can use to save some money off my flight or does anyone have a promo code I can purchase?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk; we hope you stick around.

We have a thread for promos, and it is here. Plus offers to purchase, sell, trade instruments, etc. are forbidden in this Forum. (See our Rules / TOS, which you agreed to adhere to when granted membership privileges, for further information.)

I have taken the liberty of moving your post to the [NEWBIE LOUNGE], and recommend taking a look at the WELCOME announcement at the top of the page, as well as a look at our excellent FAQ and Wiki for your enhanced flying on AA. JDiver, Moderator

Originally Posted by dudleyc22
Hi,

Does anyone know of a promo code I can use to save some money off my flight or does anyone have a promo code I can purchase?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
In another thread, it came up that a one day AC pass is $50 for the first person, $25 for the second. I recently flew with my husband and was charged $50 for each of us for the AC at LAX. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=sent;15629121]<redacted>...

You were charged properly.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm Reason: redacted metadiscussion and value judgment
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gemac
<redacted>

You were charged properly.
Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:12 pm

Best bang for my miles.

I have about 90k miles in my AA account, all from CC purchases.
Some time in the next year I would like to take a trip to Australia.
Time of year does not really mater to me.
I just want to to get the most out of miles.
I live in LA so I can fly out of LAX or SFO.

How can I best use my miles?
Best time to go?
How do the stop overs work and what would be good places to stop along the way?

Thanks for you time.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dcman
I have about 90k miles in my AA account, all from CC purchases.
Some time in the next year I would like to take a trip to Australia.
Time of year does not really mater to me.
I just want to to get the most out of miles.
I live in LA so I can fly out of LAX or SFO.

How can I best use my miles?
Best time to go?
How do the stop overs work and what would be good places to stop along the way?

Thanks for you time.
AA doesn't fly to Australia/South pacific so you need to either use an All-Partner award which will require two 37.5K award (one for each way or 75K for RT) in Y or OneWorld award which is miles based and requires two partners other than AA. You will probably need a Zone 6 award (up to 20,000 flight miles) which requires 100K RDM (10K more than you have).

IIRC, with an All Partner award you can only have a stopover in the North American gateway which is next to useless for you.

Good luck,
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unless it's Honolulu, of course - which offers yet another way to get to Australia.

Originally Posted by Sagy
AA doesn't fly to Australia/South pacific so you need to either use an All-Partner award which will require two 37.5K award (one for each way or 75K for RT) in Y or OneWorld award which is miles based and requires two partners other than AA. You will probably need a Zone 6 award (up to 20,000 flight miles) which requires 100K RDM (10K more than you have).

IIRC, with an All Partner award you can only have a stopover in the North American gateway which is next to useless for you.

Good luck,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.