FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:36 pm
JY1024
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by goldier
Dear Flying Wizards,

I've amassed 200k+ AAdvantage miles (Gold status) and I'm looking to get the best value out of them. My home airports are BUR and LAX and I'd like to visit Japan + London this year. Schedule's fairly flexible, and I'm also considering a RTW trip. What's the best bang-for-my-mile?

I've read up on the glossary 'til my eyes glazed over and understood the basics of this game, but... I figure I may as well check in here for sage advice.

Thanks!
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, goldier!

I'll chime in with a few thoughts... From a "best bang for the mile" standpoint, I think many members would tell you to fly international first class on oneworld partner airlines. For Japan, you can use Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines; both offer great first class experiences on the ground and in the air. For London, British Airways is likely to operate more flights, but there's a pretty hefty surcharge levied by BA. Taking AA may not be a bad option.

To get a sense of which oneworld fly to which cities, I'd suggest playing with the oneworld interactive map found her: http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP (It can also be accessed straight from the oneworld alliance website.)

As for redeeming for an "all-partner" award or a oneworld award, the answer will depend on our itinerary.