Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Any way to get an assured upgrade to F other then paying full price?

Is there any way I can purchase a coach ticket and upgrade it instantly using miles in addition to what I paid for it? I have more then enough 500 mile upgrades available but those of course are no sure thing and even if I get upgraded no guarantee I could sit next to Mrs. isle-hawg who I will use miles for her ticket in F on the trip.

If wondering why not just use miles outright for my ticket also - I want the miles earned to assist in renewing status for 2012.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Is there any way I can purchase a coach ticket and upgrade it instantly using miles in addition to what I paid for it? I have more then enough 500 mile upgrades available but those of course are no sure thing and even if I get upgraded no guarantee I could sit next to Mrs. isle-hawg who I will use miles for her ticket in F on the trip.

If wondering why not just use miles outright for my ticket also - I want the miles earned to assist in renewing status for 2012.
We're not wondering since we all do similar things- buy coach for status and then upgrade.

To use miles, there will also be a copay. You can get the details on the mileage and copay amounts here

https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rade-chart.jsp

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Thank you brp - what a wonderful site this is!!!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:10 pm

DEQM promo: can I nest a RT within a RT?

Is this a really bAAd idea or will I be glAAd for all the bonuses?

Itinerary #1:
Feb3: YYZ-DFW-LAX
Feb9: LAX-DFW-YYZ
which obviously qualifies for the DEQM promo.

Now, if I do this also on a separate ticket:
Feb4: LAX-DFW-???
Feb5: ???-DFW-LAX

... will both trips qualify for the bonuses? Or would something go wrong? Would I be flAAgged as a DEQM scAAmmer?

Appreciate any advice or relevant anecdotes.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzgayguy

Itinerary #1:

... will both trips qualify for the bonuses? Or would something go wrong? Would I be flAAgged as a DEQM scAAmmer?

Don't see any problem with it, as long as ??? isn't YYZ. But you do know that the only segments that qualify for the DEQM are the ones between DFW and LAX, right?

This question is asked and answered pretty frequently in the thread on this promo, which suggests to me that perhaps you haven't read the thread. I really recommend reading the thread before trying to hatch a strategy to take advantage of any promo. The time spent is nothing compared to the forehead-slapping moment when you realize you blew it and your flights don't qualify.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Don't see any problem with it, as long as ??? isn't YYZ. But you do know that the only segments that qualify for the DEQM are the ones between DFW and LAX, right?
Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I was clear about that point.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:41 am

I am a long time traveler, but a newbie to this forum

I have been flying AA as a Frequent Flyer for decades. I am a lifetime Platinum. This is my first post on this forum.

I have been trolling through a few threads on here and they all seem to be oriented towards finding ways to get gold or platinum status, quicker or chearper or by some deadline.
I am more interested in how best to use my miles and leverage the FF miles I have. How do I find those discussions most effectively, or do I just go by thead name and if it sounds right troll through it to find out?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by longtimetvlr
I have been flying AA as a Frequent Flyer for decades. I am a lifetime Platinum. This is my first post on this forum.

I have been trolling through a few threads on here and they all seem to be oriented towards finding ways to get gold or platinum status, quicker or chearper or by some deadline.
I am more interested in how best to use my miles and leverage the FF miles I have. How do I find those discussions most effectively, or do I just go by thead name and if it sounds right troll through it to find out?
Welcome to FT! Take a look at the thread on All-Partner awards, as well as the (sticky) thread on oneworld awards. The oneworld awards thread, being a "sticky," can always be found near the top of the AA forum's first page.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Is 330 day out the earliest time AA can see partner's award? How come BA.com is showing CX's awards but when I call AA, they say it's too early? And should I call at midnight or it doesn't really matter with CX?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by longtimetvlr

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, longtimetvlr!

Since "best use of miles" is so subjective, there's unfortunately no "silver bullet" thread for your question. Just to throw out a few scenarios: Some folks have more miles than they know what to do with, so they use them for hotel stays, car rentals, or Admirals Club membership. Others only want to look for economy award travel to a specific destination. Others want to look for a way to visit as many countries/continents as possible, all in first-class.

I'd suggesting spending a little time on the forum just looking through the threads and doing some searches for thread titles that may be interesting to you. If you have a specific query, feel free to post here, and someone should be able to direct you to a relevant thread if you can't find it on your own.

Have fun using your miles!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:12 pm

Niagara Falls to DFW

Hi there, I'm planning a trip in August. I want to get from Niagara Falls (Canada) to DFW to connect with a QF flight at 8pm. If I get a flight from YYZ, will I need to pass through immigration at DFW?
How much time should I allow? I also want to allow a little time for the lounge.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by grozzy
Hi there, I'm planning a trip in August. I want to get from Niagara Falls (Canada) to DFW to connect with a QF flight at 8pm. If I get a flight from YYZ, will I need to pass through immigration at DFW?
How much time should I allow? I also want to allow a little time for the lounge.
If you fly YYZ-DFW-SYD, you will clear U.S. customs/immigration at YYZ, where there is a U.S. "pre-clearance" facility. Your flight will arrive in DFW as a domestic flight.

If you fly BUF-ORD-DFW-SYD, you will clear U.S. customs/immigration at Lewiston, Niagara Falls, NY, or Buffalo.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgayguy

Itinerary #1:

I was hoping to do something similar:
SF-DFW-IAD and
IAD-DFW-SFO

Just to make sure, so I called aa. CSR said no dice. I have to stopover in DFW to qualify. So looked into the stopover fares for that. Wow, its about $1K compare to about <$300.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I was hoping to do something similar:
SF-DFW-IAD and
IAD-DFW-SFO

Just to make sure, so I called aa. CSR said no dice. I have to stopover in DFW to qualify. So looked into the stopover fares for that. Wow, its about $1K compare to about <$300.
Call again.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

If you fly YYZ-DFW-SYD, you will clear U.S. customs/immigration at YYZ, where there is a U.S. "pre-clearance" facility. Your flight will arrive in DFW as a domestic flight.

If you fly BUF-ORD-DFW-SYD, you will clear U.S. customs/immigration at Lewiston, Niagara Falls, NY, or Buffalo.
Thanks for the quick reply. So, if I can check my bags through, 2hrs connection is okay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.