Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:19 pm

I have a friend whose LHR-BOS flight on AA has been re-booked for five days from now. He'd like to get home sooner. Any suggestions? Maybe take the Eurostar to CDG and ask to re-use the ticket?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus
I have a friend whose LHR-BOS flight on AA has been re-booked for five days from now. He'd like to get home sooner. Any suggestions? Maybe take the Eurostar to CDG and ask to re-use the ticket?
Paris also had snow
AA canceled several CDG flights today
The BRU flight to ORD did arrive ORD on time
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LAX-LHR #136 from Friday is still in BRU as am I. AA has confirmed some passengers including us to destinations other then LHR. There are mixed messages about checked bags which were never off-loaded in BRU. Some EXP agents, airport personel saying they will be transfered to new destinations in case passengers rebook to other destinations. Dont these bags have to be off-loaded in BRU and go thru customs or is what they are saying sound ok?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
My sisters flight from LHR to ORD (AA87) got canceled at 7:45 (scheduled dep was ~10:00). AA have offered her two choices - 12/23; LHR-JFK then LGA-ORD or her original LHR-ORD itinerary on 12/24. I'm hoping she'll call them back to see if they'll get her into DTW or, even better, GRR to save me driving to ORD. All in all it sucks. She said that it was near riot conditions this morning at LHR.
She might also inquire if seats are available tomorrow on AA55 MAN-ORD.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m...mally-18-12-10

It sounds like she'll otherwise be stuck in London for 3-4 days. To salvage as much of the holiday trip, I would try to find another gateway city to North America. As another option, perhaps taking a train to BRU or CDG to get on one of tomorrow's flights to ORD/JFK/DFW. The easiest option is AA55 MAN-ORD.

As for re-routing to GRR or DTW, that might be a stretch for any transatlantic arriving to ORD. Her original ticket is to ORD, but if she can get re-booked to JFK, DFW, or YYZ; perhaps an AAngel would book her to DTW or GRR.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
Are you not able to get a flight for 4-5 days just because everything up until then is booked solid? I see seats on my flight on 12/23, but could be just a mirage that AA provides every once in a while ;-)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
Are you not able to get a flight for 4-5 days just because everything up until then is booked solid? I see seats on my flight on 12/23, but could be just a mirage that AA provides every once in a while ;-)
Probably depends on whether s/he was auto-booked 4-5 days from now or spoke to an phone rep. A phone rep would book the next available flight with seats in the original booking class if requested.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
[
Originally Posted by boberonicus
Have a look at the latest from Eurostar before booking. As of this aft, some cancellations, delays, and speed restrictions (adding at least 90 min. to the journey).

Or, as posted upthread, ex-MAN----if getting to MAN is possible.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA
AA Stopped selling JFK-LHR?

Have booking for GF on AA116 JFK to LHR 21st Dec. Lots of availability showing in seat selection in F.

Noticed that AA.com reservations is now not listing this flight, or any other direct JFK-LHR flight until next Thursday. They are selling BA flights for same route.

I assume this is to help clean up the mess from the last few days and these flight have not been proactively canx?

I also noted the ridiculous connection times they are providing for connecting flights (AA and BA)- most of them overlap. Wonder if they are just assuming that TATL flights will be delayed and the weird connection times will be doable?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Porterhouse100
I also noted the ridiculous connection times they are providing for connecting flights (AA and BA)- most of them overlap. Wonder if they are just assuming that TATL flights will be delayed and the weird connection times will be doable?
Where are you seeing these problems?

If it is in the 'Multi-City' reservation system then yes, you can get 'illegal' connections showing in there. If this isn't it can you give an example of what you are seeing?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:25 pm

Looks like LHR accpted NO incoming today

http://www.heathrowairport.com/
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:29 pm

Searched for SFO to LHR for 21st Dec. 8 out of the 10 flight are not doable- here's just one of them....

12:45 PM
SFO 09:05 PM
MIA

Then...

05:10 PM
MIA 06:25 AM
LHR
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:41 pm

I've just checked that route for that day but I'm not seeing any problems other than that a lot of the flights have an overnight connection after the leg from SFO.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The problems today all stem from BAA and other airports being too cheap to purchase 250K deicing equipment. Nothing more and nothing less.

They then went on the BBC (and other news) to say this was freak weather (last time I checked I lived in Northern Europe, and whilst unusual, it was not 'freak'), and it was not worth getting a fleet of more vehicles. Not sure about you guys, but 250K is not a lot of cash to spend per vehicle, especially on capex for a company who seems to print money.

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I think the fiasco this weekend has more to do with the incapability of LHR operator BAA more then anything else. London is a "global city", one of only two "Alpha++" cities (according to Wikipedia) and is one of the most cosmopolitan/metropolitan cities in the world.

The fact LHR couldn't handle this weather/snow is shameful. The loss just this weekend alone probably would have paid for years of snow service/equipment.

Even if snow service is needed once/year, the costs/expenses/loss of revenues could justify it. This isn't the first time Heathrow is shut down due to snow, and it probably won't be the last time either.

It is very shameful for London. For the taxes/fees required to fly via LHR, and its importance in the global travel network, the folks of London should be shopping for a new company to operate their airport(s). To delay people 4-5 days for alleged lack of deicing equipment is totally unacceptable.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by Porterhouse100
Have booking for GF on AA116 JFK to LHR 21st Dec. Lots of availability showing in seat selection in F.

Noticed that AA.com reservations is now not listing this flight, or any other direct JFK-LHR flight until next Thursday. They are selling BA flights for same route.

I assume this is to help clean up the mess from the last few days and these flight have not been proactively canx?

5 days to Christmas and over 24 hours with no departures from LHR... how much spare capacity do you think AA has? Everyone will have been rebooked and no space available....
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by androobe
5 days to Christmas and over 24 hours with no departures from LHR... how much spare capacity do you think AA has? Everyone will have been rebooked and no space available....
Understood, but only 5 (or so) of the seats in F have been selected. I would have thought the seat layout would have shown full if that was the case...Maybe the two are not connected?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.