Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Hello all.

I will be flying to LHR tomorrow morning from ORD on the day flight.

The UK is forecast to get up to 8 inches of snow in places with several inches to the South of London (and Southern parts of London).

I see that Gatwick has been affected and as many of you know, they are not too far apart from each other.

Looking at LHR's website they say that some flights have been affected but mainly due to other airports.

Main Point:

Have any of AA's flights been affected and should I expect and problems tomorrow on my flight?

All replies appreciated.

All the best,

UK AA FAN

=========================MODERATOR NOTE=========================

Check to see what AA's current Travel Policy is for your destination or origin here.

As of Dec 28, 2010, the policies were:

Europe Travel Policy
Due to the continuing weather situation in Europe, American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their travel plans. Customers ticketed to travel on American Airlines flights to or from the areas listed may change flights as shown without penalty.

If you are traveling to/from/through:
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Charles De Gaulle, Paris, FR (CDG)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)

On the following date:
December 20-24, 2010

And your ticket was issued no later than:
December 21, 2010

You may begin travel as late as:
December 30, 2010

Original inventory required?
No

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty.

To change travel dates or for questions regarding refunds or destination changes within the U.K, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.
London Heathrow Travel Policy
Due to the extreme impact to operations at London Heathrow, UK, American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia offer customers the convenience to change their travel plans. Customers ticketed to travel on AA/AA*/BA/IB to/from/through the airports listed below may change flights as shown below.

If you are traveling to/from/through:
London Heathrow, U.K. (LHR)

On the following date:
December 19-31, 2010

And your ticket was issued no later than:
December 19, 2010

You may begin travel as late as:
January 7- April 3, 2011 / December 19, 2010 - January 6, 2011

Original inventory required?
Yes / No

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty.

To change travel dates or for questions regarding refunds or destination changes within the U.K, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.
AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by dstan; Dec 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm Reason: updated policy
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I flew LHR-AMS (BA) return yesterday.

Very little impact at LHR so far, most of the problems that there have been mostly related to a long queue for de-icing last night or problems elsewhere, nothing actually affecting landing at LHR.

I wouldn't be expecting problems unless the weather around there changes dramatically.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I flew AA 87 (10:15 a.m.) to ORD and it was snowing as we left. It was a very cold six days there. Good luck to you!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Guess I wasn't the only one in London over the weekend (and it was freezing cold--- minus 2C when I went in Sunday morning and 0C when I went in Monday). I was up in Slough and came in by train each day. Was snowing as I flew home yesterday.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's tough to predict the future.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by dayone
It's tough to predict the future.
I hope you're not a meteorologist!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM
Appears to be clearing up and temps are above freezing in the day time. See wunderground.com LHR
Thursday
Chance of Snow. Overcast. High: 33 °F . Wind NE 13 mph . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.09 in). Windchill: 22 °F .
Thursday Night
Chance of Snow. Scattered Clouds. Low: 21 °F . Wind NNW 11 mph . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.02 in). Windchill: 12 °F .
Friday
Clear. High: 37 °F . Wind West 8 mph . Windchill: 13 °F .
Friday Night
Chance of Rain. Scattered Clouds. Low: 28 °F . Wind SSW 15 mph . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.18 in). Windchill: 28 °F .
Saturday
Chance of Snow. Overcast. High: 37 °F . Wind SSW 8 mph . 20% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.02 in). Windchill: 24 °F .
Saturday Night
Chance of Snow. Overcast. Low: 30 °F . Wind SW 8 mph . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.04 in). Windchill: 30 °F .
Sunday
Chance of Rain. Overcast. High: 37 °F . Wind SW 8 mph . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 0.05 in).
Sunday Night
Chance of Snow. Partly Cloudy. Low: 30 °F . Wind South 26 mph . 20% chance of precipitation (trace amounts). Windchill: 19 °F .
Monday
Clear. High: 46 °F . Wind South 20 mph . Windchill: 30 °F .
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm in ORD now waiting for AA98 which departs at 10:20. THe earlier flight departed on time at 8:40 so I'm optimistic. I will say our flight, which was 1\3 empty this morning in Y, is now completely full. So there must have been some disrupted travelers to be accommodated via my flight.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kbins
I'm in ORD now waiting for AA98 which departs at 10:20. THe earlier flight departed on time at 8:40 so I'm optimistic. I will say our flight, which was 1\3 empty this morning in Y, is now completely full. So there must have been some disrupted travelers to be accommodated via my flight.
Thanks - have a safe flight.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:08 pm

had a friend on AA98 last night. lots of turbulence and arrived an hour late today. But, it landed. and weather is always changing.

good luck to both of you!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
98 is oversold and they are offering $600 vouchers and hotel stay with seat on tomorrows 9am flight. If I could rebook our return without penalty I'd take it but we only have 3 days in London and dont want to lose Thursday altogether.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lightbulb
had a friend on AA98 last night. lots of turbulence and arrived an hour late today. But, it landed. and weather is always changing.

good luck to both of you!
Yeah looks a little choppy this evening but not severe.

Here are tonights TATL tracks, the _/\_ sign is turbulence:

Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kbins
98 is oversold and they are offering $600 vouchers and hotel stay with seat on tomorrows 9am flight. If I could rebook our return without penalty I'd take it but we only have 3 days in London and dont want to lose Thursday altogether.
Better be a guaranteed J seat - there was plenty of room earlier today on tomorrow's AA90.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by lightbulb
But, it landed.
Always a good outcome.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 2:40 pm

Ok so I spoke to AA today and they are now allowing people to change their flight that DEPARTS from London... Clearly they recognize that it is extremely challenging for some people to get to the airport. However, they wont let you change your outbound flight to London, and appear ignorant of the fact that there is little you can really do once you get there!!

Has anyone had any luck moving flights around without incurring earth-shattering costs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.