Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Any SWU clearing for anyone to/from LHR 4 flights 12/20 to 12/27??

I've got 2 SWU's waitlisted for a me and a friend placed 5 months ago for a flight out to LHR this week. Knowing the craziness that's ensued with the weather and the need for AA to rebook as many people as possible...has anyone had success getting their upgrades cleared on any LHR flights this week?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
It looks like AA 98 got out of Chicago with significant delay. Don't get me going on BAA they are proprably the worst airport operator (This is my opinion and yes I have been to several airports in Europe) in the world.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
Looks like all but one flight out of LHR to ORD/DFW is going to get out today, so that's a good sign. I figure they'll be caught up by the 24th.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by tom911
Was BAA government owned at one time? Isn't it a Spanish company that owns it now?
Yes, BAA was gov't owned until 1986 under Thatcher. In 2006 it was bought by Ferrovial, a Spanish company.

As for the weather - this is the third winter in a row that the UK has had significant snowfall to this extent, although this is the hardest LHR has been hit (I was affected by closures at MAN the last two winters, but both times it reopened in hours not days).

It's looking more like the norm for the future now, so they better open their wallets soon.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by androobe
It's looking more like the norm for the future now, so they better open their wallets soon.
My thoughts exactly! All these excuses that LHR gets snow once every ten years are not valid anymore. Snow and below zero temperatures caused chaos last year, and two times already this December. They should be prepared and invest in the infrastructure.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Yes. I got upgraded yesterday on AA105 for today and they charged my credit card the extra $95. Then they cancelled the flight but of course, still have my $95.

Now waiting for my flight on Thursday.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:38 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
My thoughts exactly! All these excuses that LHR gets snow once every ten years are not valid anymore. Snow and below zero temperatures caused chaos last year, and two times already this December. They should be prepared and invest in the infrastructure.
It is much easier to blame everything on the global warming.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM
Had a SWU flight on Friday (LHR). Then had one for Saturday(LHR). Lost it for Sunday(LHR), changed it to BRU (23rd) and got it again. Now with trains mucked up to Brussells and BRU itself a little messed up, back out of LHR on the 22nd with no SWU.

I'll need to look at my cc bill rather closely after this trip to figure out what credits I need to request. In no hurry to head back to Europe at this point...but had to get in one last business trip to the EU didn't I.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ty97
It snowed in London on Saturday. Flights were affected, as people would expect at any airport receiving snow (see your liked thread about Chicago, for example).

However, Heathrow was all but closed on Sunday still. And Monday (morning at least) is still looking iffy.
It is now Monday. All flights for the day to Hamburg and Prague canceled (4 each), and 4 of 5 to Berlin, and 6 of 7 to Frankfurt. All flights to Prague (where I had to be for the weekend) have been canceled starting with the Friday 7pm flight through Monday evening (the cancellations started *before* the snow). It has not snowed in London since Saturday, and in fact there is sunshine right now. I am booked on the 7am to Berlin tomorrow, which I am certain will be canceled. Next available seat on Dec 24.

I am thinking of flying through Budapest -- Malev flies out of Gatwick, which is operating, though with delays.

This is clearly a Heathrow issue. I will avoid Heathrow in winter until there has been a snow fall which the airport demonstrates it can handle. (Happily enough Air Berlin will be adding further European options soon.)

VF
generally patient
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by BAK
It is much easier to blame everything on the global warming.
I love it when people stumble upon the correct answer.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
To open up coach seats would AA put a higher priority than an algorithm to get people upgraded to open up space, especially the people who are using miles and more cash to do so? Or is more priority put on people who have tickets paid in full Y first?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I am due to fly out from BRU to JFK, connecting on AA131 at LHR on 23rd. Am now getting worried about the situation, I hope by the time Thursday comes things would have cleared up a little and flights re-start out of LHR, (though probably with delays given the backlog.)

Other problem I just became aware of is here at BRU, they're running our of de-icing fluid and will have to shut the airport down, till they can replenish supplies which may not be till Wednesday as it needs to be trucked in from France.

If LHR is still in chaos on Wednesday then may think of changing my flight to go direct from BRU to JFK if that will still be possible.

Last edited by yabadoo; Dec 20, 2010 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yabadoo
I am due to fly out from BRU to JFK, connecting on AA131 at LHR on 23rd. Am now getting worried about the situation, I hope by the time Thursday comes things would have cleared up a little and flights re-start out of LHR, (though probably with delays given the backlog.)

Other problem I just became aware of is here at BRU, they're running our of de-icing fluid and will have to shut the airport down, till they can replenish supplies which may not be till Wednesday as it needs to be trucked in from France.

If LHR is still in chaos on Wednesday then may think of changing my flight to go direct from BRU to JFK if that will still be possible.
If you can do it now, I would do it now.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
According to an e-blast from Joe Brancatelli, LHR will clear one of three flights until 6 AM GMT Wednesday, 22 Dec. It's snowing, they are obviously snowed, folks whose flights actually go have priority and those who are reaccommodated are likely to go through more of the same. IMO, nobody should count on any degree of safety to their flights through this week.

BBC: 20 December 2010 Last updated at 09:30 ET
"Major winter storms cancelled dozens of flights across Europe during one of the busiest times of the year as travellers tried to get to their destinations ahead of the Christmas holidays.

Heavy snow and freezing temperatures forced airlines in France, Belgium and Germany to cancel all or most of their flights.

Flights at the two main airports in Paris have been reduced by 30%. In Frankfurt, many passengers were left stranded after flights were cancellled and departures from Brussels airport were on hold until Wednesday."

Link to BBC LHR-related articles online.

From the BBC and other appearances, if you want to fly right now, go to HEL.

Originally Posted by yabadoo

Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by JDiver
From the BBC and other appearances, if you want to fly right now, go to HEL.

LOL. Utter BAA fail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.