Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Europe / UK Snow/Weather & AA Flights Dec 2010 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
For posterity's sake, I've posted the fee-waiver information for this storm below:

Europe Travel Policy
Due to the European snow storm, American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their plans. Customers ticketed to travel on American Airlines flights or AA* flights operated by British Airways to or from the areas listed below may change flights as shown without penalty. In addition, customers ticketed to travel on British Airways within the U.K. or Europe may change flights based on the dates below without penalty.

If you are traveling to or from: Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI), London, England (LGW or LHR)

On the following dates: December 2 - 3, 2010

And your ticket was issued no later than: December 2, 2010

You may begin travel as late as: December 16, 2010

Original inventory required?: Yes

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty.

To change travel dates, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
It's definitely cold here.

Am heading for FRA for the FRA Do. Noted that nearly all LHR-FRA flights on BA were cancelled today.

BA had a similar policy on their page today. On the news this evening, a BA rep. said much of these types of cancellations were not all due to weather in London, but aircraft positioning problems, for aircraft coming from airports with more adverse weather and/or closures and/or delays.

Hoepfully things will be better tomorrow.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum 2.8MM!; Lufthansa Senator
I'm off from LAX to LHR/EDI in F on Sunday night. I had to dig deep for REAL winter clothes!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Eirerogue
I'm off from LAX to LHR/EDI in F on Sunday night. I had to dig deep for REAL winter clothes!
Was just at Harrods. They'll sell you a nice winter coat at about four times what it would cost in the U.S.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Eirerogue
Good luck with that - -9C forecast for Edinburgh on Monday!

There are some great icicles on the traffic lights though, which, with temps forecast to be sub-zero until then, are likely to be still here when you arrive.

Bring hats, gloves, scarves, more clothes and good, grippy footwear. Sidewalks are a challenge at the moment and roads are only marginally better. PM me if you want more info!

Hopefully, with us missing the snow over the weekend, Edinburgh airport will be fully functional again.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skye1
It's definitely cold here.

Am heading for FRA for the FRA Do. Noted that nearly all LHR-FRA flights on BA were cancelled today.

BA had a similar policy on their page today. On the news this evening, a BA rep. said much of these types of cancellations were not all due to weather in London, but aircraft positioning problems, for aircraft coming from airports with more adverse weather and/or closures and/or delays.

Hoepfully things will be better tomorrow.
Nope. Same story today.....after a few rounds of the cancellation/rebook/cancellation/rebook dance, ended up on one of two flights ex-LCY, after most ex-LHR had been cancelled.

Compounding the problem is apparently an air-traffic controller strike in madrid that has spread to other aiports in spain as well....
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Madrid especially is affected by the wildcat strike, but essentially all of Spain's air traffic with the possible exception of Andalucia is nearly paralyzed.

There is good news and there is bad news: the military has taken over Spanish ATC functions. <link> to BBC story.

Originally Posted by skye1

Compounding the problem is apparently an air-traffic controller strike in madrid that has spread to other aiports in spain as well....
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:44 am

Stranded in Madrid

I'm scheduled on AA-69 MAD-MIA tomorrow and according to AA, flight is still scheduled to operate. Thankfully my upgrade cleared yesterday as the flight is now oversold.

AA-69 today 12/4 was cancelled. Anybody knows when it will operate?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:24 am

MAD / Spain controllers to return to work.

1) The government has ordered ATC back to work; 2) the Government has put some military controllers to work to replace the striking controllers; 3) the controllers have decided to return to work.

We can only see how quickly any / all of this actually works - nobody at FlyerTalk is apt to have any further insight, as even the Works Ministry is saying it could be 24 - 48 hours before all service is restored.

link to BBC update.

Originally Posted by ckn2
I'm scheduled on AA-69 MAD-MIA tomorrow and according to AA, flight is still scheduled to operate. Thankfully my upgrade cleared yesterday as the flight is now oversold.

AA-69 today 12/4 was cancelled. Anybody knows when it will operate?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
1) The government has ordered ATC back to work; 2) the Government has put some military controllers to work to replace the striking controllers; 3) the controllers have decided to return to work.

We can only see how quickly any / all of this actually works - nobody at FlyerTalk is apt to have any further insight, as even the Works Ministry is saying it could be 24 - 48 hours before all service is restored.

link to BBC update.
Well, I guess I know the answer. AA-68 MIA-MAD was just cancelled today as well. So I suppose and hope they will use the airplane already in Madrid to fly tomorrow's AA-69 back to Miami.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM Lifetime), Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
A collegue and I were schedule to fly today on AA 36 DFW-MAD, then onward to CPH. Got the call at 5AM that the flight was cancelled. Rebooked to CPH via LHR on Monday as I wanted to avoid MAD since who knows when the ATC issues will all get straightened out. Also, the AA Spain rebooking policy would only allow transatlantic rerouting if your flights had a intra-Spain flight, which made the cancellation that much sweeter, as then we could avoid connecting via MAD.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:10 pm

ATC issues continue to burden Spanish air traffic due to the large number of affected passengers.

Latest BBC article: <link> includes following bits and pieces...

Air services in Spain are returning to normal after an unofficial strike by air traffic controllers disrupted hundreds of thousands of journeys.

But thousands of passengers are being warned to expect further delays as Spain works to clear a huge backlog.

Officials said 250,000 people were hit by Saturday's walkout, amid a long-running dispute about working hours....

Air traffic controllers are now working under military supervision, with army trucks seen at many of Spain's major airports.

Threats of further strikes over the Christmas and New Year period would be quashed by the government, the AFP news agency quoted Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba as saying.

However, correspondents say their disagreement has won little sympathy with the Spanish public. Air traffic controllers in Spain are paid high salaries, an average of 200,000 euros each (£170,000) per year.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:48 am

Another weather warning for Europe (including UK)

Please note - if Europe is in your plans, snow and cold are impacting current flight conditions, have for two days and are likely to continue through this weekend. LHR is severely affected, as are FRA, and a number of other airports, (Ironically, if you really, really need to get there and can't FedEx yourself, HEL seems OK.)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:12 pm

wait and see

London Travel Policy
Due to the anticipated freezing temperatures and snow for the UK and northern Europe over the weekend, the following changes will be allowed for customers traveling to/from/through London/MAN/AMS onto/from an AA/AA*/BA/IB flight..

If you are traveling to/from/through:

London Heathrow, U.K. (LHR)
London Gatwick, U.K. (LGW)
London City, U.K. (LCY)
Manchester International, U.K. (MAN)
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)

On the following date: December 18-19, 2010

And your ticket was issued no later than: December 18, 2010

You may begin travel as late as: December 24, 2010

Original inventory required? No

One ticketed change is allowed with no penalty.

I've noticed this policy has changed from this morning to afternoon. It may continue to change. I'm scheduled to fly to LHR tomorrow....
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott - Gold; United - 1k
LHR - ORD weather issues 19 Dec 2010 - please advise

Greetings from a Delta flyer! Looking for some input - my sister and husband are flying scheduled to fly from LHR to ORD to see me for the holidays. As of right now LHR is closed and the inbound (AA86) from ORD has been canceled. So, what is likely to happen? Will AA use the grounded planes to make that route happen tomorrow (assuming LHR resumes service) or is she going to be SOL? Neither of them have any status with AA.

Wondering what you folks think will happen.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.