Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sukn
In defense of the OP, the agent initiated the change without first notifying the OP that she would incur a $150 fee. If the fee was mentioned upfront, I'm sure the OP would have chosen to travel with her maiden name and we would all have been denied an opportunity to grandstand. Not mentioning the fee prior to initiating the transaction is simply poor customer service regardless of whether the agent was following policy or not and left the OP with a negative customer service experience.

I'm sure the OP will be conveying this story to her circle of friends/family/colleagues and this is how reputations are built and opinions formed.

Not every change or re-issue of a ticket comes with a $150 change fee, and expecting the customer to knows all of the intricacies of the fare rules is not a credible defense when none of the airlines offer a list of clear concise fare rules.

Lastly, I don't think it is our place to judge why it was important for the OP to have her name changed on her ticket. She got married, wanted to start her new life with her new name, so be it.
Lastly, I don't think it is our place to judge why it was important for the OP to have her name changed on her ticket. She got married, wanted to start her new life with her new name, so be it: Just not $150 worth of important, I guess.

AA always has the complete fare rules available before you buy any ticket online. You just click the fare rules link. The "the intricacies of the fare rules is not a credible defense when none of the airlines offer a list of clear concise fare rules" is an exageration.

The whole thread seems to boil down to " I what what I want, the way I want it, and I do not want to pay for it".

The only fault I can see here with AA is the Agent should have mentioned the fee upfront.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by sukn
Lastly, I don't think it is our place to judge why it was important for the OP to have her name changed on her ticket. She got married, wanted to start her new life with her new name, so be it.
I'm starting to become amused by the implications of the word "judge". Using it implies that I am somehow a bad person for having thoughts and/or opinions about some activity engaged by someone else. Therefore someone using it is judging my own judgmental activities.

Anyway, I think it isn't important why the OP wanted the name changed. However what is important is the timing, the reasons for the timing, and their sense of outrage. The OP has never returned to this 6 page thread so we never had the opportunity to actually have some questions answered.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by emma dog
I'm starting to become amused by the implications of the word "judge". Using it implies that I am somehow a bad person for having thoughts and/or opinions about some activity engaged by someone else. Therefore someone using it is judging my own judgmental activities.
Well said.

At the risk of seeming judgmental, I find this to be a good post.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
The only fault I can see here with AA is the Agent should have mentioned the fee upfront.
Yet that is exactly what set this event into motion.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
We bought tickets 8-10 months out for international travel. In the meantime the spouse became a US citizen (unlike a wedding, this is something applicants have close to zero control over the timing) and changed her last name in conjunction with this. Therefore the US passport is issued in new name.

Seems to me the AApologizers haven't considered international travel requirements...particularly foreign agents comparing the passport with ticket name while in the foreign country trying to return to the US.
The advice would be the same.

Present the gov't ID (ex: the old non-US passport) with the last name the ticket was booked under when checking in and when passing through security checkpoint.

At immigration, feel free to present the US passport. Many people travel with multiple travel documents, including passports from 2 countries.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
It took me three years after getting married to get my stuff changed! All the hassle and expense. It's discrimination against women, I tell ya!!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by emma dog
The OP has never returned to this 6 page thread so we never had the opportunity to actually have some questions answered.

This thread is not about the OP. Its about us FTers arguing with each other.
OP just gave us something new to argue about.

This means that there really is NO BIG AA news happenning.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Seems to me the AApologizers haven't considered international travel requirements...particularly foreign agents comparing the passport with ticket name while in the foreign country trying to return to the US.
Umm. Just use the passport in the maiden name. simples
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by carsonheim
It took me three years after getting married to get my stuff changed! All the hassle and expense. It's discrimination against women, I tell ya!!
Certainly not a process I would look forward to repeating. I didn't experience much if any expense, but the hassle - that's a different story.

Of course, he is more than worth it.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In this example, it is a clearly labeled cancelled (and by that point expired) passport. And then if that eludes the agent, when asked to show a visa to enter the US, whip out the US passport?

Again, my airline of choice didn't force me into making these types of silly choices, such as carrying cancelled passports. Feel free to keep defending the ridiculous, however.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Just encountered this unacceptable fact with an AA phone agent when trying to change my last name on a ticket after a recent marriage. Of course I have identification in both my former name and last name, but I was not told until after the agent had changed my last name on the ticket that "please give me the confirmation code on my credit card." When I asked why, she said, "because the fee for changing your name is $150."
The unacceptable part (as others have said) is that they started the change without first confirming the cost with you. That's very poor customer service.

While I agree that logically, you're the same person, etc, and there shouldn't be a fee (and you might have been able to avoid one escalating to the right supervisor, as other people seem to have managed) ... this is an airline we're talking about.

Even pre-9/2001, they were being a pain in the ... about these things, and my wife waited until after the honeymoon to change her passport/frequent flier account etc because we were expecting problems with that. With today's ridiculous security climate, that's all the more predictable.

Originally Posted by herrina
Because the responses ARE harsh! It is ridiculous to think that there is any rational excuse to charge someone $150 to change their name on a ticket because they got married. Should the person have postponed their wedding?
Postponing the legal paperwork to change the name worked for my wife (actually getting around to changing her passport and AAdvantage account took 6-7 years, IIRC. Pre-secure-flight, they had no problems with her DL saying "Herfirst Herlast Mylast" and her tickets and FF accounts saying just "Herfirst Herlast". Also because some of AA's systems can't handle a space in a last name, she's now HerlastMylast run together without a space on tickets/FF account, and neither TSA nor CBP seems to have a problem with that.)

For that matter, since there's no ID check at the time of purchase, you COULD just buy the tickets under the new married name.

Of course, there is no requirement to change one's name just because of marriage anyway and not all people do so ( unless USA has some peculiar law in that respect )
No such law, although to what degree it is a strong social norm depends on your background.

Originally Posted by carsonheim
I know a guy who took his wife's name instead, and several couples who jointly hyphenated. While it's more common for women to change their name when getting married, a lot of states make it a real pain in the neck for guys to do so.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by alhcfp
This thread is not about the OP. Its about us FTers arguing with each other.
OP just gave us something new to argue about.
I can't believe that you're suggesting that we sometimes post here just to find something new to argue about. I'd argue quite the opposite.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thedoorchick
Certainly not a process I would look forward to repeating. I didn't experience much if any expense, but the hassle - that's a different story.

Of course, he is more than worth it.
I'm worth it, too...but mrs. brp didn't change here name. She'd had a professional and academic career under her own name and saw no reason/value/sense in changing it, so she didn't. Seemed the perfect approach to me.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:29 pm

Not simples. Using a canceled passport isn't much of an option. It's no longer valid to get into the country. And presenting a marriage certificate in English to a border agent who may not speak or read English - or at least may not speak or read it well - is just confusing. The last thing you want to do when traveling to a foreign country is create an issue for the border agents to over-scrutinize everything.

I really don't get AA's issue here. A legal name change is a legal name change. If the TSA's systems require full legal names be used, AA can't charge for complying with a legal requirement.

Originally Posted by Happy
From having a wife in the previous marriage based on a thread started in July 2008 to a member of a marriage, starting a thread complaining about change fee on "his" name changed due to recent marriage in July 2010...

It is quite interesting to say the least...
People do get divorced and remarry.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
To everyone hoping on this wagon:

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Changing a ticket costs $150, marriage has nothing to do with it. Ticket change fees are clearly posted on aa.com and in the ticketing rules. If you bought a full fare ticket you could have had it refunded and bought it with the new name.

I do not see what the issue is. AA told you in the ticketing rules that changes were $150. You wanted a change it costs $150.
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
No, it's just that recent influx of posts whining that AA is sticking to their guns and are not granting "waivers and favors" is tiring at best.
Originally Posted by mvoight
Name changes on a reservation have a fee.
... Why must the airline be the scapegoat for passenger errors?
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I'm filing this complaint along with the 'How do we get upgrades - we are on our honeymoon' threads and other expectations of special treatment for no good reason.
Originally Posted by brp
And so many defenders of poor planning who think that the airline should compensate folks for poor planning. Not weird-par for the course here.
By the way, the word is AApologist here
Cheers.
Everyone in this camp has been citing that the OP should have been aware of this, that the fare rules are 'clearly posted' when purchasing the tickets, the OP is a poor planner, that he should stop whining etc.

First of all the fare rules are not 'clearly' laid out and users are provided only as a single link of two small words of text buried in more than six screens to purchase tickets and are among literally dozens of other links. If you actually find the fare rules link it is multiple pages of walls of text suitable for a lawyer who also knows AA fare classes. Upon reading these, some of you might be surprised that the fare rules state nothing regarding a name change and only speaks of 'ticketed flight changes'. If I am the same person, traveling on the same flight, on the same day, in the same plane, common sense would lead me to believe that this is not a 'change'. I would consider changing seats to be more of a 'change' to an itinerary than a name. Note, I am considering this from a layman's point of view and not an FTer who knows more about the program than most employees.

Lastly has anyone actually looked this policy up on AA.com? I looked around aa.com and found three pages regarding name changes.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/bookin...name%20changes

What to do when a ticket for flights solely on American Airlines has been issued in the passenger's married/divorced name and that name does not match the name on their travel documents.

In this case the passenger will be allowed to travel on that ticket provided they present a copy of their marriage license/divorce certificate at the American Airlines check-in desk on the day of departure.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...p&locale=es_ES

For marketed and operated flights by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection:

* Legitimate changes to a passenger's name will be accommodated. The agent will need to call AA Sales Support to complete the name change and retain the inventory. Legitimate name changes include spelling changes, changes to last names due to marriage or divorce and changes to prefixes (for example, Mr. to Dr.).
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/nameC...tle=namechange

Examples of name corrections/changes managed via email* or by calling AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 and asking for AAdvantage Accounts.

- Change to a last name*
- Reversed first and last names (e.g. Dickens Charles and should be Charles Dickens)
- Adding or changing a prefix (Mrs. to Ms.; Mr. to Dr.)
- Adding or changing a suffix (John Jones, Sr. to John Jones, MD)
- Changing a hyphenated name to any of its variations
- Any additional updates to first and/or middle name following the one-time change made via the My Account section of AA.com (legal documentation may be required)

* Changes to last name without documentation are allowed for instances of marriage or divorce. AAdvantage members who request a last name change for any other reason will be required to submit written legal documentation.
None of the pages make any mention of a fee. Anyone reading "Legitimate changes to a passenger's name will be accommodated." would certainly think they could update the ticket without penalty. The fact that the page indicates you can even make the request via email also seems to indicate there is no fee. What are they going to do? Charge the credit card without your authorization?

That turned out a lot longer than I anticipated....

Last edited by sica4; Jul 13, 2010 at 5:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.