Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Totally agree. Just started reading a book by Fred Reichheld called "The Ultimate Question- Driving Good Profits and True Growth", which clearly articulates the importance of rooting out "bad", short-term "profits", i.e. the $150 change fee, and focusing like crazy on building loyalty and thus creating "Net Promoters" of the company. AA should want to have a core group of customers be avid promoters (recommending AA to friends, family and business acquaintances) but being backed by top notch customer friendly behavior by AA in ALL instances. The good profits will follow...
Except that decades of experience by airlines are the opposite. Their experience is that people shop primarily on price. The other factors you note only come into effect after the customer makes a purchase decision based primarily on price.

And if price competition drives the ticket price to an unsustainable level, then levying fees like this makes a lot more economic sense than trying to improve customer service because charging the higher prices required means the customer never even works in the door.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gardener
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ill-sched.html

In 2008 this "person" (who has made all of 8 posts since joining) claimed he had a wife. Now he is changing his name because of marriage and <redactded> about a change fee.

<redacted in original post>
Interestingly, a central issue in that thread was change fees also.

It seems that the OP is leading a life worthy of a soap opera, or we are being played by someone who amuses themselves by posting fiction on FT.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 12, 2010 at 9:48 am Reason: deleted redactions made in original post
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Yes, it is clear that the OP had choices before buying the ticket and before executing the legal change of name.

After doing those, it is not clear that the OP has a choice remaining.

I'm asking -- is it legal to use the old ID, or has it become a false ID?
Yes, it is totally legal to use one's old ID.

Here are some examples:
You just got married. Your name legally changes as soon as the certificate is filed (if you choose). However, no license or passport has changed.

It takes 6-8 weeks to get a new passport once you have a marriage certificate... which is often 1+ months after the wedding. But you're travelling. Obviously your name has been legally changed and yet you still can legally use your passport.

If you do change your name on your Drivers License and Passport but had a ticket in your old name, take a certified copy of your marriage license to show as proof of a legal alias.

OK... final point. If you get married and thought you were clever by getting the ticket in your new name... but then realized that you won't be able to get a passport or license in the time. Take a copy of the marriage certificate (even the one that isn't "official" yet). It generally isn't a problem. Although you may be quesitoned, the powers that be will let you through as long as you have some documentation that you were just married.

In other words, this thread and Seinfeld have a lot in common. We have a 6 page thread about pretty much nothing that people have made into a problem. Back to gemac's Type 1 and 2 people, had the OP just asked or even searched, they would have been just fine.

Oh, and as far as people being newlyweds and not having their "correct" name on the ticket... well, if you're truly traditional and go on the honeymoon on Sunday, you can't get a drivers license in time. And you wouldn't be called by your married name anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think AA gets a pass on this one...

Some people do marry more than once - sometimes significantly more times than once, and sometimes in parallel instead of in serial - and don't travel much. We can hope this marriage has more staying power.

As to whether "old, pre-marriage ID" is legal or not, of course it's legal (as Dave Noble and Plato90s have stated). In the USA - as in most countries in the world - there is no requirement that anyone in a marriage has to change their name; it is quintessentially a matter of personal choice But if they do choose to change their name, it generally takes a while (and significant money): passport, driver's license, Social Security and a number of other documents.

If the ticket matches the identification documents required, no problem. OTOH I would hate to take a "mix and match" of tickets, Russian visa, passport etc. in different names, particularly without a copy of a duly registered marriage certificate. (Add several degrees of difficulty for same gender marriages legal in one state or country and not recognized in another.)

Heck, let's not assume any responsibility for planning these things - it's far easier to blame it all on the airline. (And there are those who feel it suffices to complain to others, as opposed to take constructive action that might provide remedy.)

(Admittedly, if it happened as presented, the AAgent jumped the gun on charging a fee rather than exploring the options.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm Reason: ytpoe and add last para
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
so many AA apologists on here, it's weird
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bamboosensation
And so many defenders of poor planning who think that the airline should compensate folks for poor planning. Not weird-par for the course here.

By the way, the word is AApologist here

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver

Heck, let's not assume any responsibility for planning these things - it's far easier to blame it all on the airline. (And there are those who feel it suffices to complain to others, as opposed to take constructive action that might provide remedy.)
"Complaining to others" is one ofthe reasons we are all here. Most of the time we solve the problem, then come here for others opinions.

"BLAME" what? on the airline? A fee that 99% of Americans would find unconscionable? We on FT are like professional gamblers tht get booted from a casio for WINNING. We game the system, and as elites are on top of the food chain. That is why we are able to demand AA enforce thier rules. "We are rule experts"

Bottom line- OP alerts media. Media does story. Will AA back their policy or will Tim Smith hem and haw and say that AA is happy to waive the fee for this bride and will reveiw their policy with their res agents.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Bottom line- OP alerts media. Media does story. Will AA back their policy or will Tim Smith hem and haw and say that AA is happy to waive the fee for this bride and will reveiw their policy with their res agents.
Somehow, based on the OP, I doubt that's going to happen.

Even if this really happened exactly the way OP describes, the simple answer (as suggested very early in the thread) is to travel with the matching ID.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
As long as the ID in question wasn't fraudulently obtained, it's not a "false ID". Just because it contains outdated information (re: last name) doesn't make it a false ID.
I wonder what they consider the difference to be between a "false" ID and an expired or incorrect ID. I once let my driver's license expire and took my sweet time renewing it (because once it is expired, you can't renew online in TX, and I had to find time to go over there in person). In the meantime, I passed through probably half a dozen airports. Most didn't bat an eye, but at DFW, I was stopped at security for not having valid ID. They let me through when I showed my Sam's Club card.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by thedoorchick
Most didn't bat an eye, but at DFW, I was stopped at security for not having valid ID. They let me through when I showed my Sam's Club card.
Yeah, don't try to pull one over on those TDCs at DFW.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I am really surprised that could even change your name. AFAIK any name is not possible.
Ironic given your handle.

We bought tickets 8-10 months out for international travel. In the meantime the spouse became a US citizen (unlike a wedding, this is something applicants have close to zero control over the timing) and changed her last name in conjunction with this. Therefore the US passport is issued in new name.

Called UA: the ticket was re-issued in the new name. For free. Only requirement was to show the proof (certificate) at nearest airport upon which they would finalize the issuance/print of new ticket (e-ticket receipt). So it cost me $3 parking and some gas money I suppose.

Seems to me the AApologizers haven't considered international travel requirements...particularly foreign agents comparing the passport with ticket name while in the foreign country trying to return to the US.

UA worked with us and provided a very reasonable option. I would have paid the $150 if need be. Instead I have another to add to the list of dozens of items that keep us loyal to UA. The agent congratulated us, rather than punished us.

Perhaps the focus should be on getting others should do the same, rather than defending unreasonable policies.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
And so many defenders of poor planning who think that the airline should compensate folks for poor planning. Not weird-par for the course here.

By the way, the word is AApologist here

Cheers.
May be that strikes a chord in those who often suffer from poor planning themselves then demand / hope / wish the providers to pay for their sloppiness? Just kidding.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Really? You really think the press would be interested, given that the OP did not pay the fee, and apparently did what all the "unfeeling" posters here have suggested - travel on the name originally on the ticket? OP pays no fee. OP travels successfully. No story there.

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
... "please give me the confirmation code on my credit card." When I asked why, she said, "because the fee for changing your name is $150."

It took me another call and 30 extra minutes for them to change my name back on the ticket so that I wouldn't be charged (instead of, you know, waiving this charge)

Last edited by gemac; Jul 12, 2010 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some people do marry more than once - sometimes significantly more times than once, and sometimes in parallel instead of in serial - and don't travel much. We can hope this marriage has more staying power.
From having a wife in the previous marriage based on a thread started in July 2008 to a member of a marriage, starting a thread complaining about change fee on "his" name changed due to recent marriage in July 2010...

It is quite interesting to say the least...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
I'm asking -- is it legal to use the old ID, or has it become a false ID?
No, it is not a "false ID".

Originally Posted by bamboosensation
Agreed. There are definitely some weird posts here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.