Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zski1
Seriously?

AA is in a customer service business.
with all the aeroplanes, I thought that they were a transportation business

Originally Posted by zski1
Or maybe AA should just stick to their guns more often, and, I don't know, lose even more passengers than the sour economy has caused them to lose and subsequently go out of business. I vote for "waivers and favors" over "bye bye AA".
They should , imo, stick to whatever the policy is for a situation unless there is a very good overriding reason why a policy should be excepted. Exceptions should be a rarity rather than what seems too often to be an expectation. If there is an issue with a policy, then that should be addressed at a policy level rather than agents making policy up on the fly

Dave
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by gemac
Yours is a commonly seen complaint in rant threads, because there are two types of FT members:
Type 1 wants to start a thread on FT detailing how the airline has done them wrong. Other type 1 members will chime in and agree that the airline has done the OP wrong, how wrong it all is, how life is unjust, and how unfeeling any member is who does not agree with them.
Type 2 comes to FT to learn how to avoid all the problems that the Type 1 members revel in detailing. For example, in this case, a Type 2 member advises to travel on this previously purchased ticket using maiden name, and change ID after the trip. This is what my wife did for our honeymoon, as there would be no time to change her passport before departure. We had no problems, and of course had no change fees because we thought about this before buying the ticket. Type 1 members will generally rail at Type 2 members who offer practical solutions to the problem as "unfeeling" or "blind supporters of AA on everything" or "AApologists", because instead of condemning AA the Type 2 finds out how to avoid the problem and advises others to do so also.
How about Type 3... the one's that support AA when they feel they are right (eg: when AA refuses compensation due to a passenger arriving late, or due to weather delays), but they supports the OP when the policy is completely unreasonable.

Even Michael O'Leary of Ryanair only charges a EUR/GBP10 ($15) fee to change a name if it is actually the same person, but GBP100($150) if it is a different person. From a very unreasonable man, that seems fair.

For AA to charge $150 to change a name when it is the same person travelling is not reasonable. Yes, they could travel under their maiden name or could have booked the ticket under their married name, but a $150 change fee. A better policy would be to refuse the name change and advise the passenger to bring sufficient evidence of name change to the airport, if their photo ID name has changed?

Alternatively, the most they can justify is their telephone booking fee - because in this case the charge should be to cover their costs of making the change, not to make an additional profit on someone who has already agreed which services they want to use, and at an agreed price. Some in this forum have argued that it should be charged because a new ticket has to be issued, so don't they think to charge a ticket issuing fee rather than a change fee would be a fair price?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
OK, so the OP has legally changed the last name. Or at least, the wording in the post sounds like it.

TSA requires that name on ticket and ID match.

Isn't it also illegal to use false ID for any purpose, including passing through airport security?

If so, the OP has no choice but to change the name on the ticket. Using the old ID would be illegal.
As well, the airline has no choice but to make the change.

As they did for me, with no fee, when the TSA rule that ticketed and ID name must match went into effect. AA changed my ticket from first initial, middle name to first name middle initial with nary a mention of a change fee.
Rightly so -- it was a legal requirement to make the change. Not like I had a choice.

And as has been posted in this thread by knowedgeable people, CS supervisors know how to make a change without the fee. Of course they do, because AA defines situations in which the fee does not apply. I would think a change of legal name is one of them.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Changing a ticket costs $150, marriage has nothing to do with it. Ticket change fees are clearly posted on aa.com and in the ticketing rules. If you bought a full fare ticket you could have had it refunded and bought it with the new name.

I do not see what the issue is. AA told you in the ticketing rules that changes were $150. You wanted a change it costs $150.
although I do not know this for a fact, that doesn't seem to stop anyone else from posting on here; so I will say this

As written above I infer the poster saying that it costs AA $150 to make a change; I don't think it costs AA $150 to make a change to a ticket in 99.5% of the instances however AA does state there is a $150 change fee to the pax which is common knowledge at least on FT
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am quoting this again because it seems not everybody reads "upstream" and this is pretty useful information.

Particularly in post-September 11 days, there is less flexibility on behalf of the authorities, so mismatches are definitely a problem. Now, given that a ticket change is made with a name change, whether it is AA or another airline, the OP has several options:

1) Plan ahead - purchase the ticket in the married name, assuring necessary identification changes will be made in time for the flight.

2) Eschew the entire problem by travelling with the maiden name and existing documentation.

3) Hang up when it is obvious the agent will take the unwavering path dictated by "the book" and call again.

4) Pay the $150 and move on, assuming the required identification has name changes as required.

Those are pretty basically the options, notwithstanding our opinions, outrage, posturings and rantings.

Moderator hat on

And negative stereotypings and ad hominem, whether targeted at individuals or groups, are not permitted; such posts will be summarily deleted.

/ Moderator hat off

Originally Posted by denCSA
Correct, SABRE and Amadeus are both very sensitive with name-matching (for a regular reservation agent), and after you change the name in the PNR, the ticket must be exchanged. In simple terms, ticket exchange = change fee. SABRE does have the functionality to alter the name on both the PNR and ETKT in the same command, but it requires a specific permission (which is the 'ALTNAM' keyword in SABRE-speak) that only a supervisor or help desk agent would possess. In these cases you should immediately ask for a supervisor as there's nothing a res agent can do.

Apollo is the only system I've seen that will allow a res agent to change a name in a PNR, and a check-in agent can override and manually enter and select whatever E-ticket record to associate at check-in.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2010 at 6:21 am
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
While I am in general agreement with your statement, there is a significant caveat -

Whether or not a policy is a reasonable policy is also a legitimate topic for discussion, and people have distinctly said words to the effect that
"This is their policy, and I think it's legitimate."

I disagree. To me the definition of a change involves some alteration of the service provided, such as in flight number, origin, destination or date. Or who the person being transported is.

If you take the most literal view of "change", the fact that I choose to switch from 21A to 10B is a change and should be paid for, or that I want to credit to my QF account instead of my AA one. However, we already accept that these are not legitimately billable (except the seat example on BA...) and I feel that changing the name of a person traveling when it is the same person who has legally changed their name between ticketing and the date of travel, who provides sufficient notice and necessary verification that it is the same person is NOT justified in charging a fee.

NB, I have no objection to the proposed workaround of traveling under the maiden name. I have no objection to people saying this is the policy as it is sometimes applied.
I will debate people who say this is a legitimate fee the airline deserves to charge.
I will not agree with people who say this is not a legitimate topic of discussion.
Of course, we can discuss whether a policy is a good business decision or not. Whether it is "legitimate" or not depends on which definition of legitimate you use. Under the definition "in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards', my position would be that it is.

My problem is with those launching personal attacks at those who disagree with them, calling them "unfeeling", a "piece of work", etc. I don't think that this tactic advances the discussion. In fact, personal attacks are against Flyertalk rules, although this type of personal attack seems to be routinely allowed.

Even though we might think that AA would be better off to allow this particular change gratis, that doesn't particularly help the OP (who seems to have resolved this issue in their case), or others who will face this problem (and at least one has posted in this thread). For those others, the best way to handle this is helpful information. It is unfortunate that providing that information makes the providers subject to personal attack.

Personally, I am in agreement with almost all FT members - I think AA can establish any rule they want, as long as they always make an exception for me.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
As they did for me, with no fee, when the TSA rule that ticketed and ID name must match went into effect. AA changed my ticket from first initial, middle name to first name middle initial with nary a mention of a change fee.
Rightly so -- it was a legal requirement to make the change. Not like I had a choice.
IMO, you have misinterpreted the TSA rule. The TSA rule states that the ID and the TSA Secure Flight data must match. AA has opted to implement this rule by making the ticket, Secure Flight data, and ID match. Other airlines (CO) have not adopted this approach and only require the Secure Flight data and ID match.

I still travel on CO with only my middle name/last name on the ticket. However, the Secure Flight data that I've provided to CO, who in turn supplies it to TSA, has first name/middle name/last name on it so as to match my government supplied ID in accordance with the TSA rule.

UPDATE: From the TSA website FAQs:
If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch lists.

Due to differences in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger name printed on the boarding pass, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, or hyphens and apostrophes should not cause a problem for the passenger.

Last edited by controller1; Jul 11, 2010 at 6:51 am Reason: update with TSA FAQ
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
No, it's just that recent influx of posts whining that AA is sticking to their guns and are not granting "waivers and favors" is tiring at best.
+1

"There's no crying in baseball!"-Jimmy Duggin in "A League of Their Own".

Perhaps it's the time of year.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 11, 2010 at 7:23 am Reason: Self redaction
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The days when a fee served to compensate the airline for actual costs incurred are long past. There's a reason the AA systems are programmed to charge a fee here, and it's got nothing to do with the manpower required. And in this case, when the name change on the ticket is merely to keep it in sync with the person's legal name, the fee is not justified.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They should , imo, stick to whatever the policy is for a situation unless there is a very good overriding reason why a policy should be excepted. Exceptions should be a rarity rather than what seems too often to be an expectation. If there is an issue with a policy, then that should be addressed at a policy level rather than agents making policy up on the fly

Dave
Agreed, I don't think you'll find an FTer arguing AA shouldn't be more consistent in general.

I think their policy should state 'in the result of a legal name change tickets can be modified to reflect the new, legal name by sending in supporting documentation blah, blah, blah'
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:49 am
Bukhara

Originally Posted by androobe
Even Michael O'Leary of Ryanair only charges a EUR/GBP10 ($15) fee to change a name if it is actually the same person, but GBP100($150) if it is a different person. From a very unreasonable man, that seems fair.
Suggest you check this again if there is the remotest chance you will be asking Ryanair to do this for you. All name changes at least GBP100 (E/USD150-ish) regardless. If you use the Ryanair OLCI, you can't make changes at all - and bear in mind that Ryanair OLCI opens something like 15 days before departure which is before the time most people realise there is a name mismatch with their ticket and passport.

That said, USD150 is a pretty steep fee. At BA, we take enough grief for charging GBP30 for a name correction. It's justifiable to charge an admin fee for this task of changing a name and reissuing the eticket, but there aren't even many lawyers that will charge this much for a task that shouldn't be much longer than 6 minutes.

Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This situation reminds me of a situation I had years ago with my home warranty... I had a leak with the connection to my washer, when I called it in I called it a faucet and the CSR stated they don't cover faucets. When I further described the problem the CSR said, oh, that's a valve and we cover valves!

Moral of the story? Maybe what is being discussed here is an "update" to a PRN and not a "change". The AA CSR should have disclosed the fee upfront if s/he felt it was required, failure to do so I think is a real issue. The OP then at least would have had the choice to continue or not. Having to call back and spend another 30 minutes to undo what should not have been done is another issue that AA should be able to address.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by alhcfp
For those who think that AA can do no wrong- remember that most of us FTers when buying a ticket for friends and family members when OUR elite benefits are not being used choose LCCs over AA.
I have no idea if "most of us FTers" choose LCCs over AA when buying for family and friends, but I can say for certain that all of us do not.

Originally Posted by sukn
In defense of the OP, the agent initiated the change without first notifying the OP that she would incur a $150 fee. ... Not mentioning the fee prior to initiating the transaction is simply poor customer service regardless of whether the agent was following policy or not and left the OP with a negative customer service experience.
Agreed. If the agent did not disclose the fee before completing the transaction, it was very poor customer service.

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
As long as your DL / Passport don't expire before dates of travel, you should be alright.
Change "should" to "will" and I agree.

Originally Posted by videomaker
Kind of funny--AA shows some compassion in some cases and gets criticized for being inconsistent. Or doesn't bend the rules in other cases and gets criticized, as well.
I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by spurg
this happened to my wife and she just traveled under her maiden name. it was not an issue.
Spoil sport.

Originally Posted by vasantn;14278802I
This is the 21st century. The customer is not an impediment. This incident is a classic example of how to take an opportunity and turn it into a problem. Forget about whether AA was entitled to charge the fee or not; that's entirely irrelevant to the customer satisfaction issue.
This is one of those rare times in which I don't completely agree with vasantn. Would it have been a nice gesture for the agent to issue the change without the fee? Sure, and certainly the fee should have been disclosed ahead of time. But... I don't agree that AA was wrong, or wrong-headed, for insisting on collecting the fee. The change was not necessary and travel was unaffected when the OP decided against making the change, so why does it matter whether or not the favor was granted?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jul 11, 2010 at 9:57 am
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
I wonder if all the people saying "a change is a change" are men who haven't needed to change their name when they got married. It is a huge pain! And to be told you need to pay $150 for the privilege is insult to injury. Sheesh.
When my wife and I married she kept her name. Neither of us were aware of any need to change her name. Perhaps the rules are different where you are. AFAIK, the change of name is voluntary, so bringing that up as justification for anything is irrelevant to this discussion.

On the one hand, we have poor planning by the OP. That's pretty obvious as booking a ticket under the wrong name could have easily been avoided. This is before any discussion of airline policy. Clear planning screw-up.

As noted, though, it doesn't actually cost AA $150 to change a ticket even though that is the fee. I do think that exceptions should be made in certain circumstances- and we all know that they can be made. Yes, they have a policy in place and are justified in that regard, but they really are in a customer service business, as noted, and not just pure transportation- they do have competitors. And,yes, they are in the business of making a profit...but I really think that the cases of exceptions such as this are not frequent enough to cause a serious decrease in revenue.

While I'm not generally one to reward poor planning, as happened in this case, I really do think that name changes like this (and mistyping a name when it is the same person ) should have no fee...or, at least, one that is substantially reduced.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by Bukhara
Suggest you check this again if there is the remotest chance you will be asking Ryanair to do this for you. All name changes at least GBP100 (E/USD150-ish) regardless. If you use the Ryanair OLCI, you can't make changes at all - and bear in mind that Ryanair OLCI opens something like 15 days before departure which is before the time most people realise there is a name mismatch with their ticket and passport.
It's not published on their website, but a family member of mine one needed to correct a name due to a spelling error they made during the booking. A quick google search will reveal many stories where people wanted to change the name due to either a spelling error or legal name change, and all quote a £10 change fee. For AA to come below Ryanair in customer service for ANYTHING is very worrying, I used to fly Ryanair a couple of times a month, but after an unrelated issue I vowed never to fly again since last August, and so far I haven't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.