Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unacceptable - AA charges $150 to change last name on ticket after marriage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:02 pm

Brilliant!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by herrina

Because the responses ARE harsh! It is ridiculous to think that there is any rational excuse to charge someone $150 to change their name on a ticket because they got married. Should the person have postponed their wedding?
If planning to get married and really desperate to travel using the new name then the person can book using the new name; it is then up to them to ensure that they have appropriate documentation in the new name.

If booked in the maiden name, there is no reason why the person cannot travel using their maiden name and is generally the easy option since it involves ensuring that nothing is done

If booking in a maiden name and wanting to change it for the sake of it to a new name, then expect that appropriate charges are made

There is no reason at all why the person would need to postpone the wedding; AA's policy is not impacting in getting married at all

There is nothing harsh in stating that the airline is correct in adhering to the rules
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If planning to get married and really desperate to travel using the new name then the person can book using the new name; it is then up to them to ensure that they have appropriate documentation in the new name.

If booked in the maiden name, there is no reason why the person cannot travel using their maiden name and is generally the easy option since it involves ensuring that nothing is done

If booking in a maiden name and wanting to change it for the sake of it to a new name, then expect that appropriate charges are made

There is no reason at all why the person would need to postpone the wedding; AA's policy is not impacting in getting married at all

There is nothing harsh in stating that the airline is correct in adhering to the rules
While I normally agree with the rule sticklers- in this case they are wrong!!!

Change fees are about changing itins/dates etc. This is a purely ministerial function. No change is made to the reservation.

I too find this board quite harsh. There is a reason why WN and others gain market share while legacies push away customers.

Of course, OP should have hung up and called back. That would have been easiest.

The oft quoted, "if you wanted a changeable ticket, you should have paid for a changeable ticket" really falls on deaf ears when the LCCs charge the same for a changeable ticket as legacies charge for NRs (spare me same day standby)

For those who think that AA can do no wrong- remember that most of us FTers when buying a ticket for friends and family members when OUR elite benefits are not being used choose LCCs over AA.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Changing a ticket costs $150, marriage has nothing to do with it. Ticket change fees are clearly posted on aa.com and in the ticketing rules. If you bought a full fare ticket you could have had it refunded and bought it with the new name.

I do not see what the issue is. AA told you in the ticketing rules that changes were $150. You wanted a change it costs $150.
Correct. It's not mandatory to change your name just because you got married, the name change is optional.

Congratulations on the marriage BTW.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by alhcfp

Change fees are about changing itins/dates etc. This is a purely ministerial function. No change is made to the reservation.
Not true. The ticket will be have to reissued under the new name

The oft quoted, "if you wanted a changeable ticket, you should have paid for a changeable ticket" really falls on deaf ears when the LCCs charge the same for a changeable ticket as legacies charge for NRs (spare me same day standby)

For those who think that AA can do no wrong- remember that most of us FTers when buying a ticket for friends and family members when OUR elite benefits are not being used choose LCCs over AA.
I book tickets based on the best airline of the day for the journey I wish to undertake and not based on frequent flyer programmes. The airline with the best product and best timing for desired trip is what I pick

The key thing here is that there is no *need* to change the booking name, this is purely a choice thing by the passenger. If the airline required that the passenger travel using their married name then that would be another matter; given that this is a purely voluntary choice change, then why shouldn't it be charged?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If the province of Quebec (La Belle Province) does anything right, it's forbidding women to change their legal names after marriage. A woman can use her husband's name socially but legally she always keeps her "maiden name". Much easier.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
In defense of the OP, the agent initiated the change without first notifying the OP that she would incur a $150 fee. If the fee was mentioned upfront, I'm sure the OP would have chosen to travel with her maiden name and we would all have been denied an opportunity to grandstand. Not mentioning the fee prior to initiating the transaction is simply poor customer service regardless of whether the agent was following policy or not and left the OP with a negative customer service experience.

I'm sure the OP will be conveying this story to her circle of friends/family/colleagues and this is how reputations are built and opinions formed.

Not every change or re-issue of a ticket comes with a $150 change fee, and expecting the customer to knows all of the intricacies of the fare rules is not a credible defense when none of the airlines offer a list of clear concise fare rules.

Lastly, I don't think it is our place to judge why it was important for the OP to have her name changed on her ticket. She got married, wanted to start her new life with her new name, so be it.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:42 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sukn

Lastly, I don't think it is our place to judge why it was important for the OP to have her name changed on her ticket. She got married, wanted to start her new life with her new name, so be it.
+1
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I book tickets based on the best airline of the day for the journey I wish to undertake and not based on frequent flyer programmes. The airline with the best product and best timing for desired trip is what I pick

?
Makes you a tiny minority on this board (Said w/amusement)
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:49 pm

Makes you a tiny minority on this board (Said w/amusement)
maybe, but well worthwhile. Not being addicted to a particular airline or group not only allows the best chance of non stops but best chance of being on the best airline for the journey; plus for my most major trips the airline best (imo) is significantly cheaper in 1st class than any alliance airline
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If the province of Quebec (La Belle Province) does anything right, it's forbidding women to change their legal names after marriage. A woman can use her husband's name socially but legally she always keeps her "maiden name". Much easier.
Does this jurisdiction allow any name changes at all, regarless of marital status?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I am just surprised that some people automatically support AA on everything. Just because AA recites a policy does not mean its proper. And the interesting thing is the inconsistency here, that some agents will change without a problem and others won't. That looks like an AA issue of not having consistency in the company.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
In another post the OP mentions (they have) a wife. I'm confused. But then again I'm in that state pretty much constantly...

Last edited by Flyer_70; Jul 10, 2010 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
While there may in fact be some fine print that clarifies that a name change is a ticket change subject to the $150 fee, I think the whole concept is bunk.

We all understand the reasons behind the fees for changing a reservation. This is a change of neither passenger nor itinerary. It's the same person, on the same plane, in the same seat, to the same destination.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:11 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

I too find this board quite harsh. There is a reason why WN and others gain market share while legacies push away customers.

Of course, OP should have hung up and called back. That would have been easiest.

I agree with every point in your post. AA is good but not perfect and we all should understand this. PS: I buy WN tickets for my family if I am not with them because it is just plain easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.