Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnaround time for checked bag damage claim?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Turnaround time for checked bag damage claim?

Anyone know what the expected turnaround time is of a checked bag damage claim? I got an email confirming submission of my claim with ANA a month ago, but haven't heard anything since then. I also don't know who I can contact to get an update on the status of the claim. And I can't proceed with my claim on my Amex Platinum card until I get a disposition of my claim with ANA.

Thank you!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Anyone know what the expected turnaround time is of a checked bag damage claim? I got an email confirming submission of my claim with ANA a month ago, but haven't heard anything since then. I also don't know who I can contact to get an update on the status of the claim. And I can't proceed with my claim on my Amex Platinum card until I get a disposition of my claim with ANA.

Thank you!
Did you hand your bag over for repair, or are you supposed to get it repaired yourself and then get the costs refunded?

You should have received a bagage irregularity report, and that would normally have contact details for the luggage management services.

What airport did you file the report at?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:41 am
Original Poster

It’s actually my wife’s bag. We filed the claim a couple days after she landed in KUL because she had an itinerary from hell and the last thing she wanted to do was try to find an ANA rep to go bug about the bag after traveling for 30+ hours straight (SEA-NRT-SIN-KUL). We filled out the form here (https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...n/damage-lost/) and got a claim number and confirmation email which states “We have accepted your application of damaged baggage inquiry. After confirming the contents, we will contact you by phone or email regarding the availability of compensation.

But we haven’t received an email or phone call since we filed that claim a month ago.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It’s actually my wife’s bag. We filed the claim a couple days after she landed in KUL because she had an itinerary from hell and the last thing she wanted to do was try to find an ANA rep to go bug about the bag after traveling for 30+ hours straight (SEA-NRT-SIN-KUL). We filled out the form here (https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...n/damage-lost/) and got a claim number and confirmation email which states “We have accepted your application of damaged baggage inquiry. After confirming the contents, we will contact you by phone or email regarding the availability of compensation.

But we haven’t received an email or phone call since we filed that claim a month ago.
The last leg would not have been ANA operated, for bag irregularities you would always need to contact the airline that is supposed to hand over your luggage at the destination airport, or the company handling them. So I am guessing Singapore Airlines in this case.

It is never a great idea to skip this in airport upon arrival, provided of course that you notice the damage in the airport.

You should try to find a phone number to the ANA station in Kuala Lumpur, to get the case moved in the right direction. It is probably more than a bit late to file with SQ, as should have been the case, but hopefully NH can manage the case, and get it guided in the right flows.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

The one wrinkle is the the SIN-KUL leg wasn’t on the original itinerary. Her flight was late leaving SEA which caused her to miss her connection in NRT. Once she touched down in NRT an agent basically shoved boarding passes to SIN and then KUL in her hand, said “here are your new flights, the one to SIN is leaving in 15 min, run that way to the gate” and then went off to help another customer.

I don’t know that she would even have a 6-digit confirmation number I could reference if I contacted SQ customer support because the original itinerary was all ANA.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one wrinkle is the the SIN-KUL leg wasn’t on the original itinerary. Her flight was late leaving SEA which caused her to miss her connection in NRT. Once she touched down in NRT an agent basically shoved boarding passes to SIN and then KUL in her hand, said “here are your new flights, the one to SIN is leaving in 15 min, run that way to the gate” and then went off to help another customer.

I don’t know that she would even have a 6-digit confirmation number I could reference if I contacted SQ customer support because the original itinerary was all ANA.
It will in all likelihood have been attached to the original PNR. And all the more reason to have talked to the SQ ground staff in KLIA, but that's a bit late now.

I would call ANA in KLIA, the number is in the link you posted above, and see what they say.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It will in all likelihood have been attached to the original PNR. And all the more reason to have talked to the SQ ground staff in KLIA, but that's a bit late now.
Yeah, I know. I told my wife that after she landed and she was like “hell no, I need a bed NOW”. Totally understandable, it was a rough day.

I’ll try calling, thanks. Hopefully their wait time is shorter than the 1+ hour it is in the US to speak to someone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.