Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

NH*G Complimentary Upgrade to Premium Economy to end 3/31/2019!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NH*G Complimentary Upgrade to Premium Economy to end 3/31/2019!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
NH*G Complimentary Upgrade to Premium Economy to end 3/31/2020!!!

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/news...EMM180652mif_e

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/promo/py_upgrade/

This will be a huge devaluation of a generous ANA Diamond, Platinum, and SuperFlyer benefit that provided complimentary upgrades to Premium Economy, at check-in when seats were available.

Starting April, 2020, ANA Diamond, Platinum, and SuperFlyers will be able to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy using miles or upgrade points, pretty much at half the threshold necessary to upgrade to Business. Unfortunately, it appears that ANA will not provide a miles or upgrade points discount to those attempting to upgrade from a Premium Economy fare to Business.

All details included in the link above.

This will surely spark some debate amongst angry NH loyalists!!!

Last edited by ANAStarFlyer; Nov 20, 2018 at 10:47 pm Reason: Type-o
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Well I have never ever got any PY upgrade before... maybe now using upgrade points I will be able to...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by sodaisei
Well I have never ever got any PY upgrade before... maybe now using upgrade points I will be able to...
you didn't? how do you use it? it is always quite a lot seat when you do the web check in and you can choose the PY if you are a diamond, Platinum or SFC. which route you usually fly?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by sh2dow
you didn't? how do you use it? it is always quite a lot seat when you do the web check in and you can choose the PY if you are a diamond, Platinum or SFC. which route you usually fly?
I am Platinum and I have never ever got the possibility to upgrade to PY on NRT/HND - BKK or Shanghai... I must be unlucky
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA
I’m a PLT and will be DIA next year and I’m not liking this. Truth be told I usually buy PY anyway but the couple of times where I bought Y it was nice to be able to get PY.

By removing this perk it means two things to me:

1. They’ll really market the hell out of the new program for people to bid to upgrade to PY. It’s an additional revenue stream. Frankly it’s not a good product other than the seat. Compared to other true PY it’s just not that good.

2. They may improve PY, and they’re protecting it.

I hope they’ll enhance benefits next year as a concession for taking this way. I don’t recall their having made any changes that the elites have liked for quite some time.

I have not compared NH against JL. Does anyone have any insight into any changes that JL will be making? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
I am Platinum and I have never ever got the possibility to upgrade to PY on NRT/HND - BKK or Shanghai... I must be unlucky
It's always been a wishy-washy benefit because there are no guarantees. I wonder if it caused more anguish than pleasure for people like you who had the benefit dangled in front of them but were never able to take advantage of it because of route demographics. I wish they would replace it with something a little more substantial like a guaranteed premium economy upgrade certificate that can be used once or twice a year, but at the time of booking, not at the last minute.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by nycua1k
I have not compared NH against JL. Does anyone have any insight into any changes that JL will be making? Thanks.
I guess JL doesn't need to change anything - they never offered complimentary PY upgrades, and instead of them having to offer it to compete, ANA has helpfully met them at the bottom.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Torode
It's always been a wishy-washy benefit because there are no guarantees. I wonder if it caused more anguish than pleasure for people like you who had the benefit dangled in front of them but were never able to take advantage of it because of route demographics. I wish they would replace it with something a little more substantial like a guaranteed premium economy upgrade certificate that can be used once or twice a year, but at the time of booking, not at the last minute.
Yeah that would be nice. But well, with this then at least by using PP I will be able to upgrade to PY when flying on the cheap using ANA...

Frankly it’s not a good product other than the seat. Compared to other true PY it’s just not that good.
What? Can you tell me other airlines PY better than ANA??? IMHO ANA has a super solid PY better than US or European airlines
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:34 am

What? Can you tell me other airlines PY better than ANA??? IMHO ANA has a super solid PY better than US or European airlines
Honestly, it depends on what metric you're using for comparison. In terms of seat width ANA is great. On the other hand, I'm not happy with the amount of recline, and I think the huge legroom delta between bulkhead and non-bulkhead is too much for seats in the same fare bucket. Seat guru has a chart listing various PY metrics like width and pitch, and ANA comes in somewhere around the middle.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA

What? Can you tell me other airlines PY better than ANA??? IMHO ANA has a super solid PY better than US or European airlines[/QUOTE]

Most airlines offer drinks and food dedicated to PY. NH seats are dated.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Originally Posted by Torode
I agree. I've witnessed more and more angry pax over the years at the premium check-in counters. They're usually complaining to ANA staff that PY seats were not shown during online check-in, that it's a DIA/PLT/SFC perk, they demand an upgrade, etc. etc.

2. They may improve PY, and they’re protecting it.
This is pure speculation, but hopefully ANA will improve PY to further differentiate the product with the introduction of Boeing 777-X's, of which they have 20 ordered. B777X's are scheduled to enter service in December, 2019, so fits ANA's schedule of eliminating complimentary PY for elites in April, 2020.

And if you recall, the current gen PY seats were introduced in 2010 alongside ANA's Inspiration of Japan slogan, which overhauled C from Club ANA Super Style lie-flats to Staggered flat-beds and renovated F slightly for more privacy. PY introduction was delayed because there were some manufacturing issues with the original seat design, which looked more spacious and private than what we have today, which is only a marginal improvement over the first-gen PY seats. Crossing my fingers...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
2010? Where the PY seats caught up in the Koito scandals? Could sound like it....
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by ANAStarFlyer
I agree. I've witnessed more and more angry pax over the years at the premium check-in counters. They're usually complaining to ANA staff that PY seats were not shown during online check-in, that it's a DIA/PLT/SFC perk, they demand an upgrade, etc. etc.
I'm wondering if that's why my waitlisted upgrade from PY to J went through at the gate on a HND-BKK the other night. I.e. A diamond demanding a PY upgrade and their clearing me forward at the last minute to make space for him.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:55 am

I have no problem of getting upgrade on NRT - SEA, YVR, ORD, all the flights I had travelled had got upgraded.
but the other route I flown they didn't have PY, like NRT - BKK, HKG, CAN
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by ANAStarFlyer
It happened when you need to transit in NRT, for example, HKG - NRT - LAX
if you online check in HKG - NRT flight, then you are not able to see the PY seat for NRT - LAX flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.