FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NH*G Complimentary Upgrade to Premium Economy to end 3/31/2019!!!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:50 pm
ANAStarFlyer

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Originally Posted by Torode
It's always been a wishy-washy benefit because there are no guarantees. I wonder if it caused more anguish than pleasure for people like you who had the benefit dangled in front of them but were never able to take advantage of it because of route demographics. I wish they would replace it with something a little more substantial like a guaranteed premium economy upgrade certificate that can be used once or twice a year, but at the time of booking, not at the last minute.
I agree. I've witnessed more and more angry pax over the years at the premium check-in counters. They're usually complaining to ANA staff that PY seats were not shown during online check-in, that it's a DIA/PLT/SFC perk, they demand an upgrade, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by nycua1k
2. They may improve PY, and they’re protecting it.
This is pure speculation, but hopefully ANA will improve PY to further differentiate the product with the introduction of Boeing 777-X's, of which they have 20 ordered. B777X's are scheduled to enter service in December, 2019, so fits ANA's schedule of eliminating complimentary PY for elites in April, 2020.

And if you recall, the current gen PY seats were introduced in 2010 alongside ANA's Inspiration of Japan slogan, which overhauled C from Club ANA Super Style lie-flats to Staggered flat-beds and renovated F slightly for more privacy. PY introduction was delayed because there were some manufacturing issues with the original seat design, which looked more spacious and private than what we have today, which is only a marginal improvement over the first-gen PY seats. Crossing my fingers...