Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by godbreath
are we allowed to book into premium economy cabins if business is not available? and if so, how can I search for those space?
Yes, you can definitely do this for ANA own flights. For partner airlines you can check ANA search tool.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

are we allowed to book into premium economy cabins if business is not available? and if so, how can I search for those space?
Yes any leg you need to book into premium economy or economy can be used. You still "pay" the same amount of points as if it was Biz class for example. Also if Biz award space ever opens up you can call in and switch your economy seat to J. You would search on ANA "multiple cities award reservation engine".

With ANA metal flights they have a lot that are bookable as wait list business class from the start. You will see that when you are searching on ANA "multiple cities award reservation engine" as well.

There has also been some discussion on this thread, with little confirmed use, that the day of the flight on several airlines you would take precedence over other upgrades if something in J goes unsold. Theory being you already have a business ticket. This too would have to be done with a person(at gate) not online.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
There has also been some discussion on this thread, with little confirmed use, that the day of the flight on several airlines you would take precedence over other upgrades if something in J goes unsold. Theory being you already have a business ticket. This too would have to be done with a person(at gate) not online.
For those upgrades at the gate, would it have to be an ANA flight? Or will partner flights be able to upgrade as well?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:50 pm

Another question, what counts as a stopover/layover? Is it just the 24 hour rule or it has to be all bookable as one segment? I want to fly from XXX - ZZZ. The best routing I found is from XXX - YYY - ZZZ, with < 24 hour layover in YYY. However, when I search XXX - ZZZ, this particular combination doesn't show up, but it does show up when I search fo XXX - YYY and YYY - ZZZ. Would YYY count as a stopover or a layover?

And am I allowed to backtrack to a city thats east and that I have been before to connect to my final destination? For example, I want to stop at cities XXX YYY and ZZZ. First I fly from XXX -> YYY (east to west), but then there is a flight YYY -> ZZZ that has a layover in XXX. Would this be valid?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I had used United to find all my flights, including on partner airlines for my RTW itinerary planned to occur in March of 2020. When I called the ANA desk they said that there was no space on the flights segments I gave them. They said that just because is shows up on United doesn't mean it is available to book via ANA for a RTW trip. How do I use the United website to find segments which are actually bookable on ANA? Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by hannibal
Just booked another RTW trip with ANA miles for December 2019, seemed pretty painless after learning the ropes the first time. Two passengers, business class. Main goal of the trip is South Africa, which was a bit complicated due to distance and availability.

ATL-IST (TK)
IST-SEZ (TK)
SEZ-ADD-JNB-CPT (ET/SA)
CPT-JNB (SA)
JNB-SIN (SQ)
SIN-MNL (SQ)
MNL-TPE-SEA (BR)

170k ANA miles each (all from an MR transfer), $829.59/ea in taxes and fees, including the $25 call center booking fee.

Best I can tell the stopover in IST will leave us eligible for 2 free nights in 5 star hotel in IST, which is kinda cool. Would have preferred to start in MIA (am based in BOG, and MIA is definitely the easiest place to start in the Con US) and the MIA-IST flight was available earlier today, but someone snagged it before I finished planning. Also really wanted ANA metal to SFO which was readily available a couple weeks ago, but life happened, and now the available options are pretty much BR/OZ to SEA.

Came out to 5.71 cents/mile plus taxes and fees, which seems about as good as possible given the Mrs chose South Africa as part of the route. :-). The Star Alliance RTW tool once again reported taxes and fees at $1926.18, about 16% higher than what I wound up paying, so take what it says with a grain of salt.
Were you able to get the free hotel in IST? I couldn't find information if round the world trip tickets were eligible. The website says it has to be a round trip ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by donjo
I had used United to find all my flights, including on partner airlines for my RTW itinerary planned to occur in March of 2020. When I called the ANA desk they said that there was no space on the flights segments I gave them. They said that just because is shows up on United doesn't mean it is available to book via ANA for a RTW trip. How do I use the United website to find segments which are actually bookable on ANA? Thanks
I have been using ANA multi-city award booking to see if the segments are available
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Were you able to get the free hotel in IST? I couldn't find information if round the world trip tickets were eligible. The website says it has to be a round trip ticket.
Trip is still coming up in December, but my understanding is that we're eligible. I didn't see anything about "round trip ticket" in the hotel service criteria ? (I have seen reports of success with partner award tickets, so I don't expect that to be an issue...).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by hannibal
Trip is still coming up in December, but my understanding is that we're eligible. I didn't see anything about "round trip ticket" in the hotel service criteria ? (I have seen reports of success with partner award tickets, so I don't expect that to be an issue...).
My understanding is that the layover program (that you linked) works for any layover up to 20 hours for a 1 night hotel stay. But if you have longer then 20 hours, then it is part of the stopover program that allows up to a 2 night hotel stay. But that one specifically says it requires a round trip ticket: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/flights/stopover/
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

My understanding is that the layover program (that you linked) works for any layover up to 20 hours for a 1 night hotel stay. But if you have longer then 20 hours, then it is part of the stopover program that allows up to a 2 night hotel stay. But that one specifically says it requires a round trip ticket: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/flights/stopover/
Interesting, I'll send an e-mail and see what they say, can't hurt. The "stopover" sounds like a different program, though - it's where you're voluntarily staying for a night, regardless of flight scheduling. I would be surprised if that applied to a RTW ticket.

For us, there are no later flights from ATL that would allow us to make our connection to SEZ, so due to flight scheduling we'll be in IST for about 34 hours. That's where the "hotel service" applies, but it sounds like something we have to ask for upon arrival. (I'll have a backup plan just in case...)
godbreath likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:18 pm

Hi guys, quick question! long time lurker here =)
With RTW ticket, can I standby for earlier/later segment for the same route/airline/day?
For instance, SIN-KUL SQ route only releases award seat for A330-300. If I wanted to standby for the A359-900 that is 2 hours earlier, would they let me?
Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by teaspoon8
Hi guys, quick question! long time lurker here =)
With RTW ticket, can I standby for earlier/later segment for the same route/airline/day?
For instance, SIN-KUL SQ route only releases award seat for A330-300. If I wanted to standby for the A359-900 that is 2 hours earlier, would they let me?
Thanks!
This is a question for the SQ forum. But yes, SQ SIN-KUL is one of the easiest routes in the world to standby for an earlier flight (alongside NH domestic multi-dailies in Japan) (ticket type doesn't matter).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Unionruler
This is a question for the SQ forum. But yes, SQ SIN-KUL is one of the easiest routes in the world to standby for an earlier flight (alongside NH domestic multi-dailies in Japan) (ticket type doesn't matter).
No. I really doubt this is possible in the context of an ANA issued ticket. I suspect SQ would say “yes we have space but we don’t have control of an NH-issued ticket so apologies, call NH”.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
No. I really doubt this is possible in the context of an ANA issued ticket. I suspect SQ would say “yes we have space but we don’t have control of an NH-issued ticket so apologies, call NH”.
1. On SIN-KUL, SQ regularly allows standby for MH-issued tickets
2. On SIN-KUL, SQ doesn't even bother to touch the ticket or ask that you get it reissued, they just give you a boarding pass for the earlier flight
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:53 pm

I thought the question belonged to this forum, since it is a NH issued RTW ticket. Sorry for the confusion.
Also, thanks for the input you guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.