Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by zugz
Thanks Joypeace18 , that is really helpful to hear. It sounds like in your case specifically you were switching from *A and onto an ANA flight for the same route. My problem is that the flight I currently have is with ANA and I might try and switch to a *A carrier on the same route and also for within 96 hours of the new flight deparing. I'm guessing this might be too much of a stretch, even though due to circumstances that are out of my control at this point, I full stop can't travel before then, even if I had to. The other option would be significantly delaying my travel plans for the next flight available award space on ANA metal and on the same route; would it be unheard of to ask them to 'force' award space open on their own metal for exceptional circumstance? For context this is on a regional flight that only has 1-2 flights a day.
I think asking them to switch your segment from NH to another star alliance carrier is a stretch because they don’t allow the operating carrier to change after ticketing in normal situations; and they’ve even given people difficulties when a carrier stops operating a segment.

The only scenario I would see them offering another airline is during irregular operations (weather maintenance misconnect) carrier rebooking you on their metal or another *A if there is space.

The most likely thing I would do is try to get them to put you on a later NH flight, even if it’s in a lower class of service, just to preserve the rest of your itinerary.

You didn’t mention what class of service your award was issued on. They allow you to mix to the highest cabin it was ticketed on. Ex if you have a first award you can do first business economy. Business is business and economy. I have a current RTW that has one segment in economy rest in business because I’m waiting for that one to open up but it’s in economy for now and I can move it later. You can always ask them to see if they can put you on another NH flight later that has space in multiple classes.

Try to get this solved on the phone before going to the airport, if you can’t, worst case scenario go to the airport on day of travel, explain to the agent you can’t travel and you need to be put on a later flight. I’d argue this is the equivalent of someone showing up late due to car troubles etc, missing the cutoff time, and being re-accommodated.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by MechMachine
If memory serves I recently read of a traveller who was in Europe recently on a RTW with a routing through Israel and they wanted to change/drop the Israel segment and pick up the following segment from another European airport. ANA wasn’t letting them modify the existing itinerary but the agent did let them know they could cancel in the middle of the journey and get a prorated refund for the segments not flown. So for example if you paid 100K for 10 segments and flew 2, in theory minus any ticketing change fees they charge you’d get 80K back. Obviously this isn’t something you’d want, but that’s an option according to a recent scenario I read off here. You could then maybe rebook close in if the inventory remains open after cancelling but that’s very risky.

Another option you have is letting the ticket go to “Airport control.” Once the checkin window opens for the flight, and on the day of travel, the Operating Carrier’s staff at the airport gain control of the ticket to make changes. In this case, since the Operating Carrier/Ticketing Carrier is the same (NH) perhaps the agents at the airport would be more willing/flexible to help on the spot? It’s risky to leave it to chance though on the day of travel; they may not be able to help or reschedule, and if you don’t fly the segment the rest of the segments will be cancelled.

Another option you could try is calling back to back NH’s call center but time it between the shift changes from US to Japan. You may have luck with a US agent but if not can hang up and try again with a Japanese one.
The cancellation option is indeed very interesting. I just called the office, but opposite of what you've alluded to, the agent who was Japanese-based only allowed me to change to an ANA economy leg for the same routing on a day that was much later than what I had originally booked. It seems that the USA-based agents I've spoken to in the past are more flexible or at least more sympathetic lol. The agent also mentioned I could call back if business avail opened up (short regional leg, so don't really mind what it is, just want to get to my destination sonner vs later), but wondering if anyone has ever had success getting a day-of, space available upgrade at the airport? Wasn't able to get the agent to give me any color there.
I've flown 1 long-haul leg and I'd actually be quite okay if I could just get a refund on what I've booked so far and to simply try and rebook a rtw from where I am currently; wasn't offered this option so not sure if it is within some sort of rules or requires some kind of override. Was it by nature of what was happening in Israel at the time? (similar to what ANA did for people's iteniaries which were for flights before and during the pandemic?) If so that may not be an option for me.
Sorry for the mess of a reply, it's been a long day, but this thread's help and these DP's have been immensely helpful.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by MechMachine
I think asking them to switch your segment from NH to another star alliance carrier is a stretch because they don’t allow the operating carrier to change after ticketing in normal situations; and they’ve even given people difficulties when a carrier stops operating a segment.

The only scenario I would see them offering another airline is during irregular operations (weather maintenance misconnect) carrier rebooking you on their metal or another *A if there is space.

The most likely thing I would do is try to get them to put you on a later NH flight, even if it’s in a lower class of service, just to preserve the rest of your itinerary.

You didn’t mention what class of service your award was issued on. They allow you to mix to the highest cabin it was ticketed on. Ex if you have a first award you can do first business economy. Business is business and economy. I have a current RTW that has one segment in economy rest in business because I’m waiting for that one to open up but it’s in economy for now and I can move it later. You can always ask them to see if they can put you on another NH flight later that has space in multiple classes.

Try to get this solved on the phone before going to the airport, if you can’t, worst case scenario go to the airport on day of travel, explain to the agent you can’t travel and you need to be put on a later flight. I’d argue this is the equivalent of someone showing up late due to car troubles etc, missing the cutoff time, and being re-accommodated.
Yes, there is an ANA codeshare flght on the route that would have been better, but is operated by another carrier. No dice, no accommodation available, as I suspected could be the case. I was tempted to just show up and try to get reaccomodated since I will likely be close to the airport that day, but I didn't want to risk not being able to get a phone agent on the line quick enough/96 hour rebooking window on the new flights, etc. to go ahead with it.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:33 pm

I made a change to the last segment of our RTW ticket. Same flight just departing a day earlier with United. Just spoke to ANA agent and we now owe extra $140 per ticket when I didn't expect to have any change in taxes or fuel surcharges. The ANA rep said they reprice ALL segments of the RTW ticket and not just the flight that was changed. WTH. I have shifted dates previously and did not get hit with additional charges. Is this a new thing ANA is doing?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Joypeace18
I had something similar happen where I need to change the flight (same day just a later flight and with ANA instead of United) due to some circumstances that arose as part of my trip. ANA agent let me know that even though it was within 48 Hours of both the previous and next flight, they could make the change since it was ANA that would be the carrier. The agent also told me that they like to keep 96 hours for other carrier as they might cancel, but seeing as your next flight would be beyond the 96 hours window, you should be fine. The change is definitely possible on their end, it’s just a matter of if they believe your circumstances warrants a break in their 96hr change policy.
With other carriers, they really can take up to 96h to confirm your seat after a change. E.g. I wanted to change a flight that had Air Canada on the routing to a later date while I was on my RTW, and confirming the change took the full 96h. I was mildly concerned it wouldn't have gotten confirmed in time but it did, just barely. This is why the rule usually exists with non-ANA metal (or so I've been told by an agent when doing the aforementioned change).
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS
Just booked my RTW, starting in late August. I could not find any J availability from the US to Tokyo (no surprise of course, and hey, got all other flights in a nice seat) but I did see a lot of E+ open. However, the agent told me I could not mix E+ unless the entire itn is on ANA metal.

Does this track? That E+ is not available for a segment, even if the ticket is otherwise in J?

[Edit: Looks like this is just how it works for their E+. Oh well, exit row was open].

Last edited by Ted S; Mar 23, 2024 at 2:44 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ted S
Just booked my RTW, starting in late August. I could not find any J availability from the US to Tokyo (no surprise of course, and hey, got all other flights in a nice seat) but I did see a lot of E+ open. However, the agent told me I could not mix E+ unless the entire itn is on ANA metal.

Does this track? That E+ is not available for a segment, even if the ticket is otherwise in J?

[Edit: Looks like this is just how it works for their E+. Oh well, exit row was open].
Yeah, that little tidbit is posted in their multi-city award search. Throwing a tiny wrench into my single stopover (not even RTW) plans. :P
Ted S likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:59 pm

Three questions. My RTW trip is approaching and I'm still hoping for some ANA award business availability to drop within the two week window from SEA to HND (I know chances are slim).

Question 1) Where is the best place to spot this availability? (ANAs website, United)? And if I do find it is the best way to grab the tickets to call ANA?

Question 2) I have a leg on SQ SIN>IST. I booked this as economy as it was the only route I could find that fit my itinerary. Knowing that SQ isn't going to release any business class, am I able to pay for the upgrade (maybe use points) on an ANA RTW booking? I know it's sort of a double jeopardy issue but I'm considering it given that it's an overnight flight and I'd like to arrive in Turkey somewhat well rested.

Question 3) My last leg is TK IST>IAD in business. Previously members on this forum told me where I can find my 6-digit TK number (which differs from the ANA res#). Anyway, I called ANA and was able to book my seats, however they are still not showing up in the ANA app as booked. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.
saint likes this.

Last edited by 7Bartman; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Joypeace18
I had something similar happen where I need to change the flight (same day just a later flight and with ANA instead of United) due to some circumstances that arose as part of my trip. ANA agent let me know that even though it was within 48 Hours of both the previous and next flight, they could make the change since it was ANA that would be the carrier. The agent also told me that they like to keep 96 hours for other carrier as they might cancel, but seeing as your next flight would be beyond the 96 hours window, you should be fine. The change is definitely possible on their end, it’s just a matter of if they believe your circumstances warrants a break in their 96hr change policy.

What happens if you're on a RTW flight and something happens due to act of God (earthquake, etc). I am going on a RTW trip from Chicago to Istanbul-Bali to Taiwan-Seoul - LAX. What would happen if there was an Earthquake during our trip. Will ANA allow me to arrange my own travel to Seoul and continue on?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by saint
What happens if you're on a RTW flight and something happens due to act of God (earthquake, etc). I am going on a RTW trip from Chicago to Istanbul-Bali to Taiwan-Seoul - LAX. What would happen if there was an Earthquake during our trip. Will ANA allow me to arrange my own travel to Seoul and continue on?
If your flights were cancelled, or there was an advice to not travel to certain regions, irrops would kick in, and you'd get rebooked.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If your flights were cancelled, or there was an advice to not travel to certain regions, irrops would kick in, and you'd get rebooked.
Ok, great! Thanks. Sorry this is my first RTW trip and probably overly nervous about all the possible issues. Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Is there a list anywhere of routes that typically have "good" open availability? Sounds like ex-Japan is really tricky so that would be for the "bad" list. If something like Polish Airlines (I am just making this up as an example) always seems to have availability it would be nice to know.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:02 pm

Looking for a way to connect IST to somewhere in India and the only option is on EgyptAir with a 1.5 hour connection in Cairo. Does that sound like a recipe for disaster?

Alternatively, would it be allowed to self transfer and organize a separate flight from IST-DEL & then continue the RTW fare on from there? Or would IST-DEL not be allowed as a ground transfer?
Old Apr 21, 2024, 2:34 pm

After 3 or 4 months of learning, I finally booked my first ANA RTW!

2 people (mostly) in J. it cost $1000USD in fees per ticket and 105k points, I was expecting to have to spend 125k but the agent said I was well under 20,000 -- a true YMMV moment!

I used seats.aero to find availability (mostly referencing what was viewable to UA as I found the AC availability less consistent with ANA availability). Then I would confirm through ANA multi-city availability. DPS-SIN-HKG wasn't viewable on seats.aero in its entirety but each individual leg was, and then I searched DPS-HKG on ANA multi-city it they could connect the two legs easy. I had planned my final leg as ICN-HND-HNL (OZ & NH all in Y), which would've pushed me very close to the 22,000 flight mile ceiling.

I initially called and, after a 1.5hr hold time, they could see nearly all of the flights I had planned. They could not see any ICN-HND-HNL availability but there was an ICN-HNL direct in Y, which I chose as I thought it would secure my total flight miles securely under 22,000 and therefore within my 125k point budget. However, I was told that my desired itinerary had too many flight miles for my 125k points per person, so I dropped the HKG-ICN leg. They put my flights on hold and and then told me to call back tomorrow for a confirmation of fees. It took about 45min hold time calling the next day and a new agent calculated fees at just under $1000, I enquired if I had enough flight miles to add the ICN-HKG leg, and the new agent recalculated saying I had plenty of miles left, in fact I hadn't even come close to the 20,000 mile marker.

Here's the final booking:

2x105k + $1k in fees
DEN-IST (TK - J)
IST-AMM (TK - J)
AMM-CAI-BOM (MS - J)
MAA-SIN (SQ - J)
SIN-DPS (SQ - J)
DPS-SIN-HKG (SQ - J)
HKG-ICN (OZ - J)
ICN-HNL (OZ - Y)

Anyone know what the chances are of 2 J seats becoming availability on that final ICN-HNL flight and if so, when would they likely be opened up?

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this all out. Good luck with your own RTW planning!

What should I do with the extra 40k ANA points I know have?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by AnAussieTexan
After 3 or 4 months of learning, I finally booked my first ANA RTW!

2 people (mostly) in J. it cost $1000USD in fees per ticket and 105k points, I was expecting to have to spend 125k but the agent said I was well under 20,000 -- a true YMMV moment!

I used seats.aero to find availability (mostly referencing what was viewable to UA as I found the AC availability less consistent with ANA availability). Then I would confirm through ANA multi-city availability. DPS-SIN-HKG wasn't viewable on seats.aero in its entirety but each individual leg was, and then I searched DPS-HKG on ANA multi-city it they could connect the two legs easy. I had planned my final leg as ICN-HND-HNL (OZ & NH all in Y), which would've pushed me very close to the 22,000 flight mile ceiling.

I initially called and, after a 1.5hr hold time, they could see nearly all of the flights I had planned. They could not see any ICN-HND-HNL availability but there was an ICN-HNL direct in Y, which I chose as I thought it would secure my total flight miles securely under 22,000 and therefore within my 125k point budget. However, I was told that my desired itinerary had too many flight miles for my 125k points per person, so I dropped the HKG-ICN leg. They put my flights on hold and and then told me to call back tomorrow for a confirmation of fees. It took about 45min hold time calling the next day and a new agent calculated fees at just under $1000, I enquired if I had enough flight miles to add the ICN-HKG leg, and the new agent recalculated saying I had plenty of miles left, in fact I hadn't even come close to the 20,000 mile marker.

Here's the final booking:

2x105k + $1k in fees
DEN-IST (TK - J)
IST-AMM (TK - J)
AMM-CAI-BOM (MS - J)
MAA-SIN (SQ - J)
SIN-DPS (SQ - J)
DPS-SIN-HKG (SQ - J)
HKG-ICN (OZ - J)
ICN-HNL (OZ - Y)

Anyone know what the chances are of 2 J seats becoming availability on that final ICN-HNL flight and if so, when would they likely be opened up?

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this all out. Good luck with your own RTW planning!

What should I do with the extra 40k ANA points I know have?
Congrats! Consider yourself getting a rare discount. The agent may have miscalculated the total distance in your favor. GCMap suggests that the itinerary should be 125k.

I had the same experience, except the agent calculated a longer distance, against my favor. I had to push the agent to re-calculate several times, asking her to give me the segment-by-segment distance, before she realized where she made her mistakes. She quoted me 145k for an itinerary which should have been 125k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.