Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by joelangphoto
Just booked my RTW ticket after months of planning! All segments in business class.

YYZ - CPH (AC)
VIE - BKK (TG)
BKK - SIN (TG)
SIN - SYD (SQ)
TPE - YVR (AC)

Originally had booked return ticket from ICN - LAX, however apparently agents noted Canada and USA are different countries for award booking. So had to get creative and was lucky to stumble across TPE - YVR on AC. Both AC segments rather rare and difficult to come by, at least during my search.

Also, first agent on the phone told me that since I was flying to SYD I could not then depart on my next segment from ICN/TPE. However I tried to find documentation of this and could not. Next agent was very helpful and told me no rules prohibited such a routing.

Total was 115,000 miles and $240 in taxes. An absolute steal!
Wow, awesome! I'm dreaming of putting together an itinerary like that, but I fear it will be impossible to find 4 seats together in business on enough of the legs to make it work. If only my wife would me and her fly up front with the kids in coach...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:39 pm

Just booked my RTW ticket after months of planning! All segments in business class.

YYZ - CPH (AC)
VIE - BKK (TG)
BKK - SIN (TG)
SIN - SYD (SQ)
TPE - YVR (AC)

Originally had booked return ticket from ICN - LAX, however apparently agents noted Canada and USA are different countries for award booking. So had to get creative and was lucky to stumble across TPE - YVR on AC. Both AC segments rather rare and difficult to come by, at least during my search.

Also, first agent on the phone told me that since I was flying to SYD I could not then depart on my next segment from ICN/TPE. However I tried to find documentation of this and could not. Next agent was very helpful and told me no rules prohibited such a routing.

Nice routes and great that you are on AC, SQ and even TG to save on surcharges. Did you have some options with ANA related airlines from SYD to TPE and if so did you price additional distance compared to booking separate ticket?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Wow, awesome! I'm dreaming of putting together an itinerary like that, but I fear it will be impossible to find 4 seats together in business on enough of the legs to make it work. If only my wife would me and her fly up front with the kids in coach...
Very very difficult to book RTW ANA award with four awards I would imagine! Had a difficult time finding two seats, especially for legs to/from Canada
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:42 pm

Nice routes and great that you are on AC, SQ and even TG to save on surcharges. Did you have some options with ANA related airlines from SYD to TPE and if so did you price additional distance compared to booking separate ticket?
Had a difficult time finding any ANA award availability. I actually looked and am going to fly from BNE - NRT on QF using AA miles. Fair availability for dates that I am looking at...almost every day of the week.
john c wisconsin likes this.

Last edited by joelangphoto; Oct 28, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: Needed to quote
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:08 pm

YYZ - CPH (AC)
VIE - BKK (TG)
BKK - SIN (TG)
SIN - SYD (SQ)
TPE - YVR (AC)

What did you mean by this? Why did it matter that Canada and USA are different countries?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
What did you mean by this? Why did it matter that Canada and USA are different countries?
It matters that they are different countries because you hav to travel from and end in the same country on a round the world award.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Four business class seats on ANA RTW award tickets are difficult, but not impossible. I booked my family of 4 in J class for 125k + $533 each -
SEA-TPE (BR)
SIN-MEL (SQ)
JNB-GRU (SA)
GRU-EZE (ET) - 2 biz + 2 economy (short flight)
EZE-BOG-LAX (AV)

Good luck on your search!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Four business class seats on ANA RTW award tickets are difficult, but not impossible. I booked my family of 4 in J class for 125k + $533 each -
SEA-TPE (BR)
SIN-MEL (SQ)
JNB-GRU (SA)
GRU-EZE (ET) - 2 biz + 2 economy (short flight)
EZE-BOG-LAX (AV)

Good luck on your search!
Sweet, you give me hope! It will be a labor of love to try to plan it. Now I just need to convince my wife we can take enough time off to make a RTW worth it!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Sweet, you give me hope! It will be a labor of love to try to plan it. Now I just need to convince my wife we can take enough time off to make a RTW worth it!
My wife and I also struggled with balancing time off work, kids missing school and spending enough time exploring new destinations. Our solution was to split our RTW trip in 2 parts - Asia+Oceania around the kids' winter break and Africa+South America in the following summer break. Obviously, we needed to book additional awards to complete the trip - 60k AS miles each for CX J class for our return home to the US and 49k TK miles each for J class to NBO next summer. Get creative and plan yourselves a wonderful trip(s).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

I had a rtw trip this summer: U.S. - EU - Asia - U.S. total cost 115000 NH miles and $950 surcharge. It's a ripoff.
And rtw trip is very tiring. I now prefer single trip of no more than a couple weeks, with max of two destinations, come home, plenty of rest, then start another trip, instead of hopping places for an extended period in one single big trip.
The rtw ticket usually cost 110000 NH miles minimum, it is basically a three one-way longhaul (9+ hours) tickets combined. A roundtrip North America to Japan costs 750K miles. The price per mile with rtw ticket and round trip longhaul is about the same. I.e. you are not getting a bargain with this rtw thing. But the advantage is you get to visit more places. This could be a plus or a minus depending on your travel preference.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 4, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:49 am

It matters that they are different countries because you hav to travel from and end in the same country on a round the world award.
Are you sure about this? Because from what I read, it was that you had to end up in the same zone, not the same country. Let me try to find it.

"Travel has to touch all three ANA mileage zones, and must return to the same originating zones."

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...rship-rewards/

Yeah, here's one where it says you have to return to the same country, so maybe you're right. I thought it was just the same zone.
  • You must return to the county you departed from, but it does not have to be the same city. For example, you could depart from New York City and return to Los Angeles. If you’re running short on miles, it’s also within the rules to leave from New York City and return to Hawaii (assuming you are flying eastbound).
http://roverbob.com/2016/10/12/ana-round-world/

Yeah, you're right. I found it on the ANA website:

Round the World Itineraries

For Round the World itineraries, the required mileage is calculated according to the total basic sector mileage for the entire itinerary. (Calculations exclude ground transportation sectors.)

1) Flights must be used to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans once.

2) The flight direction of the itinerary must be east-to-west or west-to-east.

3) Backtracking is not permitted.

4) Up to 8 stopovers are permitted between the departure point and the final return point. (Up to 3 stopovers are permitted within Europe and up to 4 stopovers are permitted within Japan.)

5) The departure date of the final international flight to return to the country of departure must be at least 10 days after the departure of the first international flight on the itinerary.

6) You can book maximum of 12 flight segments and 4 ground transfer segments on one ticket.

7) Transfers between airports in the same city also count as ground transfer segments.

8) *This reservation cannot be made through the ANA website. Please contact the ANA Mileage Club Service Center.

Last edited by travelbarefeet; Nov 2, 2018 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
Are you sure about this? Because from what I read, it was that you had to end up in the same zone, not the same country. Let me try to find it.

"Travel has to touch all three ANA mileage zones, and must return to the same originating zones."

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...rship-rewards/

Yeah, here's one where it says you have to return to the same country, so maybe you're right. I thought it was just the same zone.
  • You must return to the county you departed from, but it does not have to be the same city. For example, you could depart from New York City and return to Los Angeles. If you’re running short on miles, it’s also within the rules to leave from New York City and return to Hawaii (assuming you are flying eastbound).
The Best Travel Hack Ever RoverBob's Guide to Booking an ANA Round the World Award - RoverBob

Yeah, you're right. I found it on the ANA website:

Round the World Itineraries

For Round the World itineraries, the required mileage is calculated according to the total basic sector mileage for the entire itinerary. (Calculations exclude ground transportation sectors.)

1) Flights must be used to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans once.

2) The flight direction of the itinerary must be east-to-west or west-to-east.

3) Backtracking is not permitted.

4) Up to 8 stopovers are permitted between the departure point and the final return point. (Up to 3 stopovers are permitted within Europe and up to 4 stopovers are permitted within Japan.)

5) The departure date of the final international flight to return to the country of departure must be at least 10 days after the departure of the first international flight on the itinerary.

6) You can book maximum of 12 flight segments and 4 ground transfer segments on one ticket.

7) Transfers between airports in the same city also count as ground transfer segments.

8) *This reservation cannot be made through the ANA website. Please contact the ANA Mileage Club Service Center.
For very unclear reasons, when you book a cash ticket Canada and the US count as the same "zone", as you define above. However, when you book a RTW ticket you need to return to the same country. Glad you found the rules online. I just trusted the agent after numerous times asking.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
I had a rtw trip this summer: U.S. - EU - Asia - U.S. total cost 115000 NH miles and $950 surcharge. It's a ripoff.
And rtw trip is very tiring. I now prefer single trip of no more than a couple weeks, with max of two destinations, come home, plenty of rest, then start another trip, instead of hopping places for an extended period in one single big trip.
The rtw ticket usually cost 110000 NH miles minimum, it is basically a three one-way longhaul (9+ hours) tickets combined. A roundtrip North America to Japan costs 750K miles. The price per mile with rtw ticket and round trip longhaul is about the same. I.e. you are not getting a bargain with this rtw thing. But the advantage is you get to visit more places. This could be a plus or a minus depending on your travel preference.
I guess it really depends what you are going for. For my wife and I, the RTW ticket allowed us to travel to multiple destinations to see family for a significantly lower cost than would otherwise have been possible. No way we could have gone to Europe, SE Asia and Australia on the same trip with fewer miles. We also paid $240 each for taxes, so a lot less than $950. But certainly depends on availability and desired routes, but I disagree that it is a ripoff.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
You are definitely doing something wrong. You're not supposed to be in this game if you come out of it feeling ripped off. All the hard work that you put into this hobby, you're supposed to come out of it feeling like you got a bargain. If you feel you got ripped off then it's definitely time to switch hobbies. It's not worth the investment to collect the miles and points, research how to use them effectively, then come away feeling ripped off in the end.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:26 pm

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, I tried a search and ANA's website. Can you change flights after the trip has started? It would be moving just the dates of flights, not the routing, class, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.