Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat
You can book award tickets for direct family members. There’s an article online that lists out specifically what counts. I booked two tickets for myself and my fiancée and I added her as a family member before booking. When booking over the phone, they were able to see her information I added and booked the ticket correctly.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe...ukau/note.html
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by godbreath
You can book award tickets for direct family members. There’s an article online that lists out specifically what counts. I booked two tickets for myself and my fiancée and I added her as a family member before booking. When booking over the phone, they were able to see her information I added and booked the ticket correctly.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe...ukau/note.html
Thanks for the link. I couldn't figure out how to do this anywhere.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:25 pm

Hoping for some feedback on my ANA award redemption plan in a couple of months:

Looking to do JFK-NRT/HND (stopover for 6 days) and then NRT/HND-TPE (stopover for 14 days) then TPE-ORD, all in J for two people. I am hoping to book this trip for late October through sometime in November 2020. My dates are very flexible within this time frame. What I am looking specifically is JFK-NRT in ANA J, NRT-TPE in ANA J, and TPE-ORD in EVA J. This routing seems to work in ANA's search feature for 190k miles.

Now, while I know the theory works, I am having trouble with the execution. I know that the JFK-NRT route will likely be the most competitive and there is no way late October availability will be available by the time I need to book the return three weeks later.

Any advice on how to best assure I can book this route? Is the move to book it in reverse and change dates? Or is it hope the outbound JFK-NRT flight is available after opening up for a day and then immediately return the next day and hope to change the return flight? Is there some obvious tactic I am missing? I assume that I will be able to change the dates of all of these flights, even with stopovers and the fact that the TPE-ORD route is on partner metal. Additionally, I am willing to take the JFK-NRT route in F as there seems to be more availability that way.

OR.... I can find all these routes with the class of service I want right now, but for the wrong dates. The itinerary is in reverse. Could I do this and then switch the flights online as they begin to open up?

Last edited by Morkai; Sep 23, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Or is it hope the outbound JFK-NRT flight is available after opening up for a day and then immediately return the next day and hope to change the return flight?
>. that is what I did for my JFK-Tokyo round trip during Sakura season > outward the day it opened + inward the same day and then moved it to my preferred day once it opened up
But not usre how this would work with your schedule as you have 3 routes to book
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Godbreath for the reply and clarifying. I transferred miles to my account and just got it ticketed.
BOM-ADD-GRU-EZE*-PTY-DEN*,LAX-TPE-BKK-CCU
all in Business (ET, CM, BR and TG) and cost per traveler is 145,000 ANA miles and 310$ in taxes (including 25$ booking fee per traveler). I think thats a great find and appreciate all the knowledge i gained from this thread.

I am facing one problem though. At the time i searched, all segments had 2 biz available. By the time ANA agent tried to book it, LAX-TPE had only 1 biz space. So right now my mom is flying coach LAX-TPE.

However, I check United and I also check Expertflyer and see that BR 11 (LAX-TPE) has 1 biz available on that flight my mom is booked in. Also, there is BR 15 (12:45 AM) that leaves only 35 minutes after BR 11 (12:15 AM) and that one has 1 business available also. I am ok with my mom flying by herself on that flight in biz and meet up with my dad in TPE (he is booked in biz in BR 11).

ANA agent (multiple ones, usa center as well as tokyo center) say they dont see any biz available. How is this possible. One non-asian sounding agent i just talked said maybe United has a different contract with EVA (doesnt make sense) thats why they can see it. Why would Expertflyer show when i search for it then. Previous agent said there might be some restriction as he could see LAX-TPE biz space by itself but could not modify the ticket ???

Any input on why Expertflyer and United are seeing that biz space where as ANA cannot.

I would appreciate any help. If it was a 3 hour flight, wouldnt bother but LAX-TPE is a very long flight and dont want mom to fly coach on that one.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:42 pm

Is this Invalid Back Tracking?

Hello,

Can somebody kind and in-the-know help me with this question. I am thinking of a RTW trip starting in SFO and fly east-bound to Europe and Japan thereafter.
When I fly back from Japan (TYO) to the US, am I permitted to fly to other ports of entry than SFO such as ORD and IAH and then connecting to a flight to SFO? If allowed it would increase a chance for biz seats great deal.

michaelmorio
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Hello,

Can somebody kind and in-the-know help me with this question. I am thinking of a RTW trip starting in SFO and fly east-bound to Europe and Japan thereafter.
When I fly back from Japan (TYO) to the US, am I permitted to fly to other ports of entry than SFO such as ORD and IAH and then connecting to a flight to SFO? If allowed it would increase a chance for biz seats great deal.

michaelmorio
Yep no issues. you dont have to end in same city as you started. I just ticketed one such. However, as far as backtracking goes, not sure but maybe depending on agent
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:52 pm

ketelone,

Thank you for your response. I understand I could come back to a different city as long as it is in the same country (in this case the US. Canada may be treated as the same in this case here..., not so sure). So I could fly back to ORD, JFK, IAD, IAH, SEA and LAX (missing any other airports?) on ANA.
But is there any clear rules as to what constitute a invalid backtracking within the US when flying from Japan? I kind of doubt it depends on agents you talk to. I think Japanese in general are good at articulating things better so that there is no so much room for interpretation by individual agents.

michaelmorio
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:01 am

I'm booked for my RTW but I have 2 UA domestic segments in Y with everything else in J. Rudimentary questions:
1) Will I still get UA lounge access while connecting domestically AUS(Y)-DEN(J)-YVR? Also KRK(J)-ORD(Y)-AUS?
2) Is there any way to standby for J for these segments?
3) I'm United silver so is there anyway I can leverage that for Y+?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
ketelone,

Thank you for your response. I understand I could come back to a different city as long as it is in the same country (in this case the US. Canada may be treated as the same in this case here..., not so sure). So I could fly back to ORD, JFK, IAD, IAH, SEA and LAX (missing any other airports?) on ANA.
But is there any clear rules as to what constitute a invalid backtracking within the US when flying from Japan? I kind of doubt it depends on agents you talk to. I think Japanese in general are good at articulating things better so that there is no so much room for interpretation by individual agents.

michaelmorio

I am answering my own question here. I just called ANA award desk and spoke to a very polite female agent located in Japan. She then put me on hold for a few minutes after I asked the question. She came back and told me there was no rules which prohibited flying backwards in the US after flying into any airports ANA has direct service. So, one could fly into any of such airports as ORD, JFK, IAD and IAH and fly backwards to SFO. That's good to know.
I didn't ask this but it might be possible to fly to Alaska after landing in JFK.

michaelmorio
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm booked for my RTW but I have 2 UA domestic segments in Y with everything else in J. Rudimentary questions:
1) Will I still get UA lounge access while connecting domestically AUS(Y)-DEN(J)-YVR? Also KRK(J)-ORD(Y)-AUS?
2) Is there any way to standby for J for these segments?
3) I'm United silver so is there anyway I can leverage that for Y+?
1) Yes. See the UA lounge access policy: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
if you have a boarding pass on the same day for an international business class segment, you can access the UA club lounge. You won’t be able to access the Polaris Lounge in ORD though. You need an international long haul business class flight out of ORD to access
2) According to other posts here, it’s entirely up to the gate agent. UA only sees it as a booked economy ticket from ANA. You can try to ask an ANA agent to tell UA to put you on the waitlist or ask the UA agent to see if they can. No actual rules say that you can get a waitlist though. If you have the UA credit card, you can get a CPU on these flights as an award ticket
3) Yes as a UA silver you can select E+ when you check in. After you book the ticket, ANA will give you a UA confirmation number that you can connect to your UA account.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
This is the only list I have seen. It was accurate a Summer of 2018 when booking my trip to within a few dollars. John

Thank you.
I ended up modifying my itinerary and took a positioning flight to MSP to keep things under 18K. Will use that to try the on-site IC hotel while still having Spire status w IHG.

MSP-YYZ-FRA-AMS (stop)
FRA-PEK-NRT (stop)
HND-ITM (stop)
KIX-PEK-YVR-SEA

I did have to pay extra 6K miles (thank goodness for MR points!), but my surcharges are kept almost neutral for 2 pax.
ijakov and john c wisconsin like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Thank you.
I ended up modifying my itinerary and took a positioning flight to MSP to keep things under 18K. Will use that to try the on-site IC hotel while still having Spire status w IHG.

MSP-YYZ-FRA-AMS (stop)
FRA-PEK-NRT (stop)
HND-ITM (stop)
KIX-PEK-YVR-SEA

I did have to pay extra 6K miles (thank goodness for MR points!), but my surcharges are kept almost neutral for 2 pax.
That looks like a great trip. You will like the new MSP intercontinental. I have stayed there and it is great airport property. With the U shape of MSP if you are on a high floor you will also have some great plane spotting as all the rooms line up with a view.
ijakov likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
The wiki seems to have disappeared, hmm. What are the associated fees with the RTW ticket? I'm assuming it's mostly fuel surcharges, but what about change fees, etc? Does that vary with status? (I'm Platinum now, will drop to SuperFlyers in April 2020).

No routing changes / only date changes after departure if my memory serves, correct?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
Lightbulb Does this Non-RTW partner routing work

I want to take my newborn to AU and saw that ANA has 10% mileage for infant in lap. I think this changed recently from 10% fare. We want to fly J from NYC and understand ANA allows one stopover and 2 open jaws.

Would this routing work?
EWR-YVR-SYD open jaw on AC
MEL-SIN-DPS stopover
DPS-TPE-JFK

This would be 1 stopover and 1 open jaw, (technically 2 if you consider origin and destination). I tried feeding this into ANA multicity search and it wouldn't load. Would I book this through an phone agent?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.