Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

ANA RTW Award Booking Reports/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Just booked another RTW trip with ANA miles for December 2019, seemed pretty painless after learning the ropes the first time. Two passengers, business class. Main goal of the trip is South Africa, which was a bit complicated due to distance and availability.

ATL-IST (TK)
IST-SEZ (TK)
SEZ-ADD-JNB-CPT (ET/SA)
CPT-JNB (SA)
JNB-SIN (SQ)
SIN-MNL (SQ)
MNL-TPE-SEA (BR)

170k ANA miles each (all from an MR transfer), $829.59/ea in taxes and fees, including the $25 call center booking fee.

Best I can tell the stopover in IST will leave us eligible for 2 free nights in 5 star hotel in IST, which is kinda cool. Would have preferred to start in MIA (am based in BOG, and MIA is definitely the easiest place to start in the Con US) and the MIA-IST flight was available earlier today, but someone snagged it before I finished planning. Also really wanted ANA metal to SFO which was readily available a couple weeks ago, but life happened, and now the available options are pretty much BR/OZ to SEA.

Came out to 5.71 cents/mile plus taxes and fees, which seems about as good as possible given the Mrs chose South Africa as part of the route. :-). The Star Alliance RTW tool once again reported taxes and fees at $1926.18, about 16% higher than what I wound up paying, so take what it says with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:19 am

Anybody with experience making changes to ANA RTW ticket? If you bought a ticket in J with some legs in X, could you 'upgrade' these legs to J if availability appears?

It seems that NH initially releases only few award seats on their flights and then opens more 2-3 weeks before departure. I am thinking about initially booking some legs in X, if it realistic to expect that these legs could be upgraded later.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:03 pm

Just booked my 2nd RTW trip.

SEA-YVR-YYC (stop) - positioning
YYC-FRA-AMS (stop)
FRA-PEK (stop)
PEK-HND (stop)
HND-ITM (stop)
KIX-ICN-YVR-SEA

105K ANA miles each, in business class.(mostly) ~ GCmapper states distance as 17652 miles. The SEA-YVR, FRA-AMS, HND-ITM, and YVR=SEA are in coach but these are short hops - about 1 hr each if even that long.

The connection time on FRA is short, less than 90 min, which is my main concern. Past experience transiting FRA has been very smooth and quick though.

Cost is just a tad over $500 per ticket, mostly the charge is due to Air China, I believe $198 per tix. Not a fan of positioning to YYC, but AC decided to can their SEA-YYC direct flight so we had to go through YVR one day before and spend the night at YYC. ANA must have changed their rules because when we did this in 2016, we were able to start from SEA and ended at YVR (SEA-FRA-ZRH, ZRH-CPH-SVG, SVG-CPH-PVG-NRT, NRT-YVR). On that first one, the fee was higher ($950 or thereabouts, mostly due to LH and SK YQ - I believe SK does not have the YQ anymore now).

I looked all over for YVR-LHR, found some space, but the dates back do not align, so ended up with the above.

I have most of the space scouted using UA award search and KVS but not jotting down the flight num. When I called, I gave the dates and segments desired, and she found all of the segment. By far, the best airline phone agent I've ever worked with. Booking was done in less than 15 minutes, then another agent called about 30 min later, spend 10 min to process credit card and her trying to give me seat assignments.
john c wisconsin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Just booked my 2nd RTW trip.

SEA-YVR-YYC (stop) - positioning
YYC-FRA-AMS (stop)
FRA-PEK (stop)
PEK-HND (stop)
HND-ITM (stop)
KIX-ICN-YVR-SEA

105K ANA miles each, in business class.(mostly) ~ GCmapper states distance as 17652 miles. The SEA-YVR, FRA-AMS, HND-ITM, and YVR=SEA are in coach but these are short hops - about 1 hr each if even that long.

The connection time on FRA is short, less than 90 min, which is my main concern. Past experience transiting FRA has been very smooth and quick though.

Cost is just a tad over $500 per ticket, mostly the charge is due to Air China, I believe $198 per tix. Not a fan of positioning to YYC, but AC decided to can their SEA-YYC direct flight so we had to go through YVR one day before and spend the night at YYC. ANA must have changed their rules because when we did this in 2016, we were able to start from SEA and ended at YVR (SEA-FRA-ZRH, ZRH-CPH-SVG, SVG-CPH-PVG-NRT, NRT-YVR). On that first one, the fee was higher ($950 or thereabouts, mostly due to LH and SK YQ - I believe SK does not have the YQ anymore now).

I looked all over for YVR-LHR, found some space, but the dates back do not align, so ended up with the above.

I have most of the space scouted using UA award search and KVS but not jotting down the flight num. When I called, I gave the dates and segments desired, and she found all of the segment. By far, the best airline phone agent I've ever worked with. Booking was done in less than 15 minutes, then another agent called about 30 min later, spend 10 min to process credit card and her trying to give me seat assignments.
Nice RTW - thanks for posting. Don’t worry about a 90 min connection in FRA - that’s way more than enough. If it’s inbound from YYC, you need to clear immigration but even then an hour is more than OK.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Nice RTW - thanks for posting. Don’t worry about a 90 min connection in FRA - that’s way more than enough. If it’s inbound from YYC, you need to clear immigration but even then an hour is more than OK.
Thank you. My worries is based on Flightaware history AC844 YYC-FRA seems to have chronic tardiness, averaging about 18 min late in the last 90 days, and the possibility that AC flights parking at remote stand vs direct at the gate. I saw that delay can get up to 40 min range. With remote stand possibility and exactly 75 min window, that looks quite close. I wonder if I tried asking to get on a later flight, will ANA allow it. I think different flight number = change in routing, hence penalty will kick in (or worse?).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Thank you. My worries is based on Flightaware history AC844 YYC-FRA seems to have chronic tardiness, averaging about 18 min late in the last 90 days, and the possibility that AC flights parking at remote stand vs direct at the gate. I saw that delay can get up to 40 min range. With remote stand possibility and exactly 75 min window, that looks quite close. I wonder if I tried asking to get on a later flight, will ANA allow it. I think different flight number = change in routing, hence penalty will kick in (or worse?).
If I read your itinerary correctly, you then have a FRA AMS and then a stop right?

Since the original connection is completely legal, if you’re unable to make it because of inbound delay etc, you will be protected onto the next FRA AMS free of charge. Hopefully you don’t have an onwards tight connection on a separate ticket
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

If I read your itinerary correctly, you then have a FRA AMS and then a stop right?

Since the original connection is completely legal, if you’re unable to make it because of inbound delay etc, you will be protected onto the next FRA AMS free of charge. Hopefully you don’t have an onwards tight connection on a separate ticket
Yes, it's all on a single ticket, and it is protected. It's just a matter of convenience. The next one arrives at AMS at 550pm (vs 140pm). It's not even a major inconvenience actually ..... hence I better shut up and just enjoy the trip ...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

1/3 of the way...

Well we are about one third the way through our around the world vacation. I am currently sitting in the Swiss business lounge one of the nicest I have been in. ZRH to SIN tonight. So far our travels have made us feel like royalty in the skies. LH from ORD to MUC and the Polaris lounge at ORD was nice as well although the seat layout on LH is a bit awkward if you are a single traveler.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:01 pm

Is it possible to do something like: AUS-IAH-Asia-Africa-Europe-IAH-AUS?

Technically I go East then West with the AUS-IAH leg at the front end...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
I will try my best. First a change in dates on the exact same flights on an ATW ticket does NOT incur any charges. Changes in carriers, flights etc actually require you to cancel it and rebook. From how it was described and this would incur 3,000 point fee. What I don;t know is if you cancel and re-book the entire ticket as needed is there a guarantee that a segment seat will come back up as available as you released it from your cancel.

When you are booking it on business level and a segment only has economy and then later the business opens up I believe you can call and switch to business as you "paid" the business level. I know you wait list on ANA metal flights for this. I have also read that you take priority over other upgrades the day of flight even above frequent flier levels as you technically booked the business ticket not sure how this applies in real world.
Has anyone been able to confirm these hypotheses? I'm trying to book ANA RTW going from US to Europe (Prague my most desired destination) mid September for 2 J seats but there are no availability from any UA hubs to any European cities, I also tried all the city pairs for the AC routes to Europe. So I'm leaning towards booking EWR-PRG (a new route starting in June) in Economy and hoping to upgrade to Business the day of the flight if the priority can be higher than other elites. Is that a very low chance? UA doesn't seem to open up their J seats until with 1-2 days which is too late to call ANA as they require 96 hours for flight change. Would same day upgrade work?

Meanwhile I'm also planning on signing up for ExpertFlyer alerts to see if any TATL routes open up. So I also wonder if I pay the 3000 mile fee to make changes whether the other segments will come back as available as I released for cancel. This is the only leg I have trouble with. Have not transferred miles yet but considering these flights now

EWR-PRG (UA - X)
PRG-FRA-BKK (TG - J)
BKK-HKG (TG - J)
TPE - YVR (BR - J)
YVR - SFO (UA - X)

Planning to exchange separate flight for HKG-TPE on CX to keep me under threshold and BKK-USM since they don't seem to allow that route even though TG codeshare.

Any help appreciated! First time posting on this forum and really appreciate all these posts and info. And John C Wisconsin, looks like you're having a blast on your RTW trip, enjoy!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

I spoke a week or two ago with ANA RTW desk and learned the following from a really nice rep:

1) if you paid a RTW ticket in business class with some segments in economy class and these segments become available in business, you need to call and they will change this segment into business class. You need to monitor availability yourself and call them if you find any. ANA will not notify you in such a case or book you into business class automatically.

2) there is no 'waitlisting' on any segment on a RTW ticket, not even for ANA flights. All segments are booked in whatever class is available at the time.

3) there is a 'last chance' for getting business seats at boarding time when you need to bring it up and ask ANA personnel at the airport. Apparently, it is not guaranteed that you will get it even if there are empty seats in business, as it is sole discretion of ANA staff on the spot.

I am in a similar position planning to book a RTW tickets for 3 persons in J in few months time when booking window open for summer 2020. My challenge will be HNL-NRT flight on NH metal. It seems all J seats get snatched as soon as the booking window opens 355 days out. As this flight is in the middle of my RTW itinerary, I can not try to pull this trick, so most likely will end up booking PE seats initially and hope to find some last minute availability.

It would be really helpful to hear if anybody managed to get a J seat at the time of boarding.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Stupid question. I have a lot of miles that expire in February 2020. Can I book a RTW for August 2020 as long as I book it before my miles expire in February 2020?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by ijakov
I spoke a week or two ago with ANA RTW desk and learned the following from a really nice rep:

1) if you paid a RTW ticket in business class with some segments in economy class and these segments become available in business, you need to call and they will change this segment into business class. You need to monitor availability yourself and call them if you find any. ANA will not notify you in such a case or book you into business class automatically.

2) there is no 'waitlisting' on any segment on a RTW ticket, not even for ANA flights. All segments are booked in whatever class is available at the time.

3) there is a 'last chance' for getting business seats at boarding time when you need to bring it up and ask ANA personnel at the airport. Apparently, it is not guaranteed that you will get it even if there are empty seats in business, as it is sole discretion of ANA staff on the spot.

I am in a similar position planning to book a RTW tickets for 3 persons in J in few months time when booking window open for summer 2020. My challenge will be HNL-NRT flight on NH metal. It seems all J seats get snatched as soon as the booking window opens 355 days out. As this flight is in the middle of my RTW itinerary, I can not try to pull this trick, so most likely will end up booking PE seats initially and hope to find some last minute availability.

It would be really helpful to hear if anybody managed to get a J seat at the time of boarding.
Thanks I’m in this situation of booked in eco but RTW ticket is biz, shall advise once I fly.

Did the agent say the above only applies to paid or redemption tickets? As your first point refers to paid.

Also, do you think this upgrade arrangement is ANA specific or applies to Star Alliance carriers in general?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by tingadingling

Thanks I’m in this situation of booked in eco but RTW ticket is biz, shall advise once I fly.

Did the agent say the above only applies to paid or redemption tickets? As your first point refers to paid.

Also, do you think this upgrade arrangement is ANA specific or applies to Star Alliance carriers in general?
It is about award booking, I meant 'paid with points/miles'.

I am not sure but would guess that such 'on-spot' upgrades are possible only on ANA flights since the whole RTW ticket is issued by ANA.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: HH, IHG
We've got the following itinerary booked, about $2k in fees which sucks, but we HAD to do US East Coast to Europe in a specific date range so that kind of hamstrung us. The value was great at 210k MR (came in just under 18k). A couple notes: backtracking slightly was allowed when going TO a *A hub (TLV-IST // TPE-PEK) and ending in Hawaii was ok, even though guy on the phone was thinking it may not be.

LIS-BOS
TLV-IST-DXB-BKK-SIN-TPE-PEK-HNL

We've got side trips built in there, including a bunch of Europe, Cairo, Petra, and 2 weeks in SYD / NZ South Island. We booked SIN-SYD // AKL-SIN on SQ Biz with ANA on a regular open jaw haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.