Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
From ANA's website "The All New A380: Transforming ANA Travel to Hawaii"
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/promotions/airbus380/?cid=anaustop201812358

Great video of the A380 paintwork, from Airbus: https://youtu.be/wndab27nF8E
The first roll out, also from Airbus: https://youtu.be/ayQC68K9UhA

ANA Unveils the Features of its Honolulu Lounge (for the A 380)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1912260-ana-unveils-features-its-honolulu-lounge-380-a.html
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Torode
It seems like a lot of the price hike you are experiencing is because you left the booking too late considering the popularity of that particular aircraft/route. There would have been cheaper fares available earlier for those exact flights, but those fare buckets have already sold out.

If you look at the Friday Oct 11 flight, for example, only the expensive booking class U is available. It's indicative of how popular the particular dates you want to fly on are. And if you look at the Korean Air option on that same date, which of course requires a transit back in Seoul and is therefore less attractive, the ICN-HNL leg is extremely lightly loaded at the moment, which would in-part explain the much lower fares they are asking.
I have been watching the price for months. While Korean/Delta is stable at 100k (was 75k but then Hopper expects it will go down again) ANA on the A380 was never less than 150k... now it is 200k. Again, it might be me, but I just feel I never found a real incentive for flying the A380 (I am OK to pay a premium, but 2x50k is too much, 2x100k is crazy)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by sodaisei
I have been watching the price for months. While Korean/Delta is stable at 100k (was 75k but then Hopper expects it will go down again) ANA on the A380 was never less than 150k... now it is 200k. Again, it might be me, but I just feel I never found a real incentive for flying the A380 (I am OK to pay a premium, but 2x50k is too much, 2x100k is crazy)
I guess sometimes you have to make a judgment comparing the cost (paid/unpaid holidays, etc.) of different dates against the cost of a higher fare. 200k in economy for a medium haul route is insane of course. You could just fly business for a little extra on a different airline. I have unmovable dates in December due to running the Honolulu Marathon and I faced a similar issue, and in the end I swallowed a higher fare rather than lose more by taking extra time off.

But if you look at the recent NH184 seat maps on Expert Flyer it looks like they are going out pretty full at the moment. If they can fill up their planes there is no strategic reason for them to offer up cheaper seats, at least while the novelty factor is still high.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
I have a question for those who have flown on both the blue an the green Turtles: are there any differences in the cabin decor, props, stewardesses aprons, safety cards, and everything else?

I was on the inaugurals turnaround both ways, to Honolulu in Eco and back to NRT in Premium so I only got a chance to fly on the blue Turtle. The green Turtle was doing trial flights to KIX and CTS. She had not started her flights to Hawaii yet.

I want to renew the experience and stay in Honolulu a few days next time. I want to fly on the green turtle and on the orange turtle. I will make sure I can change my return ticket so I can have the desired turtle.

I want to make a quick trip to either Toulouse or Hamburg once the orange turtle is out of the production line. I am keeping my eyes and my ears open. There is still the ANA delivery and then12 more A380s for Emiriates, then the production line will be shut down. That's until some time in 2021 for the final delivery to Emirates.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Seemingly no difference, a friend of mine flew Blue out and Green home. He spotted no difference once aboard the planes. He was in F both ways.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:53 pm

Are they flying daily yet?

-David
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Are they flying daily yet?

-David
I did not check if all days have an A380, but some days have two A380s, so I would guess that all days do get at least one flight, at the moment.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:14 am

Does anyone know if ANA plans to have the HNL-NRT route be all A380 once the 3rd A380 is placed into service? Looking to book for next year and see there are still 3 days where one of the flights is on 77W.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Torode
I guess sometimes you have to make a judgment comparing the cost (paid/unpaid holidays, etc.) of different dates against the cost of a higher fare. 200k in economy for a medium haul route is insane of course. You could just fly business for a little extra on a different airline. I have unmovable dates in December due to running the Honolulu Marathon and I faced a similar issue, and in the end I swallowed a higher fare rather than lose more by taking extra time off.

But if you look at the recent NH184 seat maps on Expert Flyer it looks like they are going out pretty full at the moment. If they can fill up their planes there is no strategic reason for them to offer up cheaper seats, at least while the novelty factor is still high.
ANA said on Japanese press that since start of A380 NRT-HNL flight, A380 flew with above 95% occupancy on month of June. However, that say nothing about the yield, how much ANA is making on A380 flights.

ANA and JAL traditionally sold Japan-Hawaii routes via tour package operators, just like charter flights and number of seats ANA and JAL sold directly was very small on Japan-Hawaii routes. During '80 JAL listed only full Y fare for sale on their system, used to be pretty much all seats on Japan-Hawaii routes were sold via tour operators.

ANA has not said about strategical plan, how they are going to sell NRT-HNL seats on A380, I think those are inside information which ANA will not disclose to public. But it will be not surprising to see if you try to buy NRT-HNL directly from ANA availability of cheap fares my be limited. Also, Hawaii is one of top destinations for FF award redemption for FF members in Japan, just like Hawaii is one of top destination for FF award redemption for FF members in the U.S.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Question about ANA's Honolulu lounge. I understand that the lounge is located directly above gate C4 and it offers direct access to the upper deck of the A380.

From the rendering I found online, it does not look like there is direct access from the lounge to the second A380 gate.

Can someone please share, on the days that ANA has 2 A380 flights, which of the flight usually leave from gate C4?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by soe-tan-toe
Can someone please share, on the days that ANA has 2 A380 flights, which of the flight usually leave from gate C4?
They both do. It's the only A380 gate at HNL and the flights don't leave at the same time.

Many bloggers have posted inaugural and later trip reports saying they boarded directly from the ANA Suites lounge which is upstairss. The ANA lounge is downstairs. Here's another one ...

https://upgradedpoints.com/ana-inaug...-class-review/

-David
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They both do. It's the only A380 gate at HNL and the flights don't leave at the same time.

Many bloggers have posted inaugural and later trip reports saying they boarded directly from the ANA Suites lounge which is upstairss. The ANA lounge is downstairs. Here's another one ...

https://upgradedpoints.com/ana-inaug...-class-review/

-David
Both the Suite Lounge and the ANA lounge is on the same floor, and F, J, and PY can all board directly from the lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Both the Suite Lounge and the ANA lounge is on the same floor, and F, J, and PY can all board directly from the lounge.
Ah, thanks for the correction. That blog post I linked to also said that C4 and C9 can handle the A380.

-David
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by soe-tan-toe
Question about ANA's Honolulu lounge. I understand that the lounge is located directly above gate C4 and it offers direct access to the upper deck of the A380.

From the rendering I found online, it does not look like there is direct access from the lounge to the second A380 gate.

Gate C9 (the 2nd gate) does not have direct access from the lounge. I flew out and in to HNL on days that 2 A380s were operating. In both directions, I was on the earlier of the 2 flights. On my outbound from HNL, we departed from C9. On my return into HNL, we arrived at C4. I'm not sure how they decide which gate is used for which flight on days when both A380s are operating.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
8 Oct 2019

Source Tweet

LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
October 8 2019

Source Tweet (including all 4 photos)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.