Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Some 77Ws to get 3-4-3 layout in Y (rumor confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some 77Ws to get 3-4-3 layout in Y (rumor confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:04 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I am surprised a "premium" airline like NH is headed down this road. I guess premium only applies to the front of the plane & those who can afford it.

LAX
Old May 3, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Yikes!!!, Just rechecked my seat assignments for NH5 LAX-NRT May 23. It is totally now 3-4-3 in coach. It was still showing 2-4-3 last time I looked a couple of weeks ago. I feel a sense of dread sinking in.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Yikes!!!, Just rechecked my seat assignments for NH5 LAX-NRT May 23. It is totally now 3-4-3 in coach. It was still showing 2-4-3 last time I looked a couple of weeks ago. I feel a sense of dread sinking in.
Not to mention the wonderful reviews that flight gets in general... from bad to worse evidently.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
10 abreast is pretty much the new standard for most airlines in economy on the 777.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:55 pm

NH1009 (JFK -> NRT) is showing 3-4-3 as well for a flight end of this week. I was pretty sure it was 2-4-3 when I booked (we have a baby so booked a bulkhead w/ bassinet and vaguely recall it being aisle-window, seats 24AC). I looked again today and we got moved to A/B, w/ C occupied. I called and at least was able to switch to 30D&E, so at least we will have an aisle seat to walk around the cabin.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jaybert
NH1009 (JFK -> NRT) is showing 3-4-3 as well for a flight end of this week. I was pretty sure it was 2-4-3 when I booked (we have a baby so booked a bulkhead w/ bassinet and vaguely recall it being aisle-window, seats 24AC). I looked again today and we got moved to A/B, w/ C occupied. I called and at least was able to switch to 30D&E, so at least we will have an aisle seat to walk around the cabin.
I will be on the same NH1009 flight next week with our young toddler (21 months old), booked 3 months ago. I've been following this thread and just logged in and noticed that the seat configuration largely changed to 3-4-3. The ones we had reserved (39A and 39C) just happen to be one of the few window-aisle pairs in economy, so we're still 2-abreast for this flight. The next flight we take will have our kid sitting in his own seat (2 years old being the cutoff), so 3-across won't be an issue for us going forward. Good luck with your flight! D&E shouldn't be too bad.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:42 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Seat pitch on the new Y layout (77W only) should be 34 inches, and the seating is no longer fixed shell, which should please some taller passengers.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 19, 2014 at 11:44 pm Reason: correction
Old May 19, 2014, 6:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Seat pitch on the new Y layouts (3-4-3 for the 77W, 3-3-3 for the 788) should be 34 inches, and the seating is no longer fixed shell, which should please some taller passengers.
Strangely, the 788 new 9 abreast seats have been reduced to 31" only. So why only 788 but not 77W?

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/as...seat/787_8_02/
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Seat pitch on the new Y layout (77W only) should be 34 inches, and the seating is no longer fixed shell, which should please some taller passengers.
Did ANA buy new non-shell seats to for the 3-4-3 configuration? Or did they have them somewhere in storage?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by blueonions
Did ANA buy new non-shell seats to for the 3-4-3 configuration? Or did they have them somewhere in storage?
I would say they had to buy new seats, they only had the 3-4-3 on the domestic 777 and they don't have seat back IFE. The retired 747 would have had 3-4-3 as well, but the seats are wider than the 777 version.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:01 am

NH008 was still 9 abreast on 21 June.
NH011 was 10 abreast on 5 July.

I did not really notice much of a difference in seat width, though the aisles seemed more narrow on the 10-abreast configuration.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
I am surprised a "premium" airline like NH is headed down this road. I guess premium only applies to the front of the plane & those who can afford it.

LAX
not necessarily-there is still the chance to secure O class
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

Apparently NH will keep some of the 9 abreast 777-300ER's while all 787-8's will be converted to 9 abreast....

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...onomy-seating/
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by JALPak
Apparently NH will keep some of the 9 abreast 777-300ER's while all 787-8's will be converted to 9 abreast....

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...onomy-seating/
Well for now they are still in the process of converting those 77W that are 3-3-3 in Y, 2-3-2 in C (ClubANA) into 3-4-3 first, and judging from how slow they are working, who knows when will they finish before they even touch those 77W that are 2-4-3 in Y.

In the meantime, I am surprised by the article said

"ANA’s previous 787 had eight-abreast seating with a 31-inch pitch but the new nine-abreast seating has a 34-inch pitch, according to ANA."

Isn't all int'l-short and int'l-long no matter 2-4-2 or 3-3-3 have 34" pitch from the beginning ? I thought it is just the domestic have 31" pitch.

"The economy retrofit will be done at the same time ANA changes its regional business class to lie-flat, matching Japan Airlines"

I think this is good news for the int'l-short 787 though, many UA flyers were complaining about the Business Cradle seats on the NRT-BKK leg. Now I wonder if NH is going to do the same with at least some the 763 though like JL, since some of the NH 763 are flying some longer int'l-short too like HND-YVR.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 1, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Well for now they are still in the process of converting those 77W that are 3-3-3 in Y, 2-3-2 in C (ClubANA) into 3-4-3 first, and judging from how slow they are working, who knows when will they finish before they even touch those 77W that are 2-4-3 in Y.

In the meantime, I am surprised by the article said

"ANA’s previous 787 had eight-abreast seating with a 31-inch pitch but the new nine-abreast seating has a 34-inch pitch, according to ANA."

Isn't all int'l-short and int'l-long no matter 2-4-2 or 3-3-3 have 34" pitch from the beginning ? I thought it is just the domestic have 31" pitch.

"The economy retrofit will be done at the same time ANA changes its regional business class to lie-flat, matching Japan Airlines"

I think this is good news for the int'l-short 787 though, many UA flyers were complaining about the Business Cradle seats on the NRT-BKK leg. Now I wonder if NH is going to do the same with at least some the 763 though like JL, since some of the NH 763 are flying some longer int'l-short too like HND-YVR.
Well the article seems to indicate there is no plan to retrofit some of the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.