Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Some 77Ws to get 3-4-3 layout in Y (rumor confirmed)

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:33 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

There have been reports that NH has begun refitting some 77Ws to be 10 abreast in economy in a 3-4-3 configuration. The total number of seats will be 264 (8 F, 52 C, 24 PY, 180 Y). Rumor has it that the remaining non-IOJ 777s (JA778A - JA783A) will be refitted to this new high-density IOJ configuration.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
That would be terrible, and I can assume they would be put on the 2nd ORD-NRT and 2nd JFK-NRT flights as well, and probably IAD-NRT as well.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That would be terrible, the current 2-4-3 config is quite nice. But it is hardly surprising, the current IOJ birds are very premium heavy.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:36 am

Y layout

kind of doubt this given their 2-4-3 layout is somewhat recent and viewed positively. ANA is fairly generous (by today's standards) with seat width and pitch on their long hauls. maybe the 3-4-3 is for their domestic 777s that generally receive a much tighter config?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by zerorain
kind of doubt this given their 2-4-3 layout is somewhat recent and viewed positively. ANA is fairly generous (by today's standards) with seat width and pitch on their long hauls. maybe the 3-4-3 is for their domestic 777s that generally receive a much tighter config?
But NH's domestic 772 and 773 had already been using 3-4-3 in Y for years since the 90s when those planes delivered.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
The domestic 777s started with 9 abreast. I flew on one in 1998. They weren't reconfigured to 10 abreast until later.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by armagebedar
There have been reports that NH has begun refitting some 77Ws to be 10 abreast in economy in a 3-4-3 configuration. The total number of seats will be 264 (8 F, 52 C, 24 PY, 180 Y). Rumor has it that the remaining non-IOJ 777s (JA778A - JA783A) will be refitted to this new high-density IOJ configuration.
Makes sense. They've been flying the high density 9 abreast on some 787 for a while now so they have seats designed of the right width for this (although still not described on ANA website). Presumably if they haven't seen a reduction in demand on 9-abreast 787, then it's inevitable they will do similar on 77W. Also means they can ditch the slidey seats that so many hate. With those numbers would mean they don't reduce the seat pitch (like on the 787-hi)and not every row would get an extra seat. This all fits with ANA's downgrading/cost saving of its basic Y service ever since it joined a JVA with UA/LH. But I'm sad to see the direction ANA is going in.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:28 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
It's an interesting strategy and is in stark contrast to their domestic rival, who seems to be trying to make improvements in all classes.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
They're going to lose their 5-star rating if they go 3-4-3. But they may not have a choice given UA/LH flooding the market with uncomfortable seats.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 1353513636
They're going to lose their 5-star rating if they go 3-4-3. But they may not have a choice given UA/LH flooding the market with uncomfortable seats.
I am not sure that 3-4-3 in itself is enough to cost a star. Though roomy in width and legroom, the current sliding seat is pretty uncomfortable already.

The loss in roominess may be compensated by a reclining seat, so that it ends up being a zero sum game in terms of comfort. I have yet to try a 3-4-3 layout in a 777, so can't comment how cramped it actually is.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by armagebedar
It's an interesting strategy and is in stark contrast to their domestic rival, who seems to be trying to make improvements in all classes.
Indeed. But business class (which is already has a competitive product) along with cargo is where the money is and Y is just gravy. So the squash in as many as possible in the back with reduced service could make sense, but only if they drop prices relative to JAL. Although, this may come down to the agreement with UA as they might have to price tickets similarly, so NH will need to cut costs to match UA's service.

If this goes ahead, I can't believe they will redo all the already converted IOJ 77W, so they will end up continuing with different seats/layouts in their fleet for a while to come. There's not that many old config 77W left, but then there are new deliveries due next year. I wonder what routes the 10-abreast would go on, or will they just be swapped in late in the process based on how well ticket sales go in Y?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:11 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by zerorain
Maybe you should read this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...t-3-3-3-y.html
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am not sure that 3-4-3 in itself is enough to cost a star. Though roomy in width and legroom, the current sliding seat is pretty uncomfortable already.

The loss in roominess may be compensated by a reclining seat, so that it ends up being a zero sum game in terms of comfort. I have yet to try a 3-4-3 layout in a 777, so can't comment how cramped it actually is.
I could've sworn I read somewhere that having 9 or fewer abreast in Y in the 777 is a published condition for becoming a 5 star airline by Skytrax.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I could've sworn I read somewhere that having 9 or fewer abreast in Y in the 777 is a published condition for becoming a 5 star airline by Skytrax.
http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRa...arcriteria.htm

An airline operating long haul flights need to have full-flat seats in both First Class and Business Class. Economy class 5-Star seat pitch requirements have traditionally been set at 32-33 inches, but with newer slimline seats this is an area that Skytrax discuss with an individual airline to determine personal "seat space" that customers receive. The width and cabin layout (configuration) for Economy class seats is an area of discussion and change in the rating requirements for 5-Star airlines.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:11 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Then how did NH get 5 Star when it still has angle flat business class seat on long-haul flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.