Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Some 77Ws to get 3-4-3 layout in Y (rumor confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some 77Ws to get 3-4-3 layout in Y (rumor confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:54 am

I think most airlines will probably do the same eventually.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Star ratings have to do with amenities provided, not comfort offered.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tracon
Star ratings have to do with amenities provided, not comfort offered.
Not true...at one time 5* airlines could not have 10 abreast on B777s. Looks like Skytrax is reviewing this, but cabin comfort is definitely a criteria.

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRa...arcriteria.htm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I think most airlines will probably do the same eventually.
This is absurd. The population of people who can afford long haul international travel is getting fatter, not slimmer! I really think (hope) there will be so much push-back that the airlines can't afford this for 8+ hour flights.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
But are there still ladies only lav?
I wouldn't know I am not a lady !
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by greenery-travel
This is absurd. The population of people who can afford long haul international travel is getting fatter, not slimmer! I really think (hope) there will be so much push-back that the airlines can't afford this for 8+ hour flights.
A lot of people just aren't aware of how many seats there "should" be -- 3-4-3 is just like a 747, not realizing that the fuselage is quite a bit narrower. It's important for those of us that know to talk the airline down, make sure people thinking of flying ANA realize the seats are extra narrow, etc.

I tell coworkers thinking of flying Emirates that I'd choose another airline (and I do, when possible), because as nice as the EK service/entertainment etc is, the seats are noticeably and uncomfortably narrow. I'm not a big guy at all, nor were the people next to me, but I felt like I had to either press shoulders against the guy next to me, or be banged in other shoulder by people squeezing down the (also narrower) aisle. I'll take a UA 777 flight any day over that.

Another issue is the underseat spaces don't line up, though this may already be an issue if it's really 2-4-3 today? On the EK 777s, the center section tracks work well for 3 or 5 seats, but with 4 you end up with 2 very narrow spaces on the end, a bracket in the middle of the aisle footspace, and 2 "shared" open sections that I didn't feel comfortable putting my small backpack in because it intruded on the guy next to me.

The only way to get people to push back is to make sure they're aware that it doesn't have to be this way...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:38 am

Is there any news regarding when the modifications will take place? July 77W tpac flights are still showing 2-4-3...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by sinohara
Now there is only one(JA783A) retrofitted 3-4-3 in Y.

now it flew these route like CDG,ORD,JFK or PVG.
Looks like it had flown more than those you mentioned, and to be more specific, ORD was on NH1011/1012, JFK was on NH1009/1010, IAD NH1/2, and even LAX NH5/6.

Once the reconfig of the other 5 non-IOJ 77W completed, I predict they will use these 3-4-3 config 77W on IAD/CDG, 2nd ORD, and 2nd JFK.

Is there any news regarding when the modifications will take place? July 77W tpac flights are still showing 2-4-3...
If you read the entire thread from page 1, there is one 77W with 3-4-3 already flying.

This is only March, NH usually update seat map a month to departure, then when you go to seat selection, it will say there is a change of aircraft in progress.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Once the reconfig of the other 5 non-IOJ 77W completed, I predict they will use these 3-4-3 config 77W on IAD/CDG, 2nd ORD, and 2nd JFK.
Don't forget about the new 777-300ERs they just ordered too!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:51 pm

Your observation that people are larger is correct. But airlines like Emirates and now American are cramming in 10 across. I see it as a health issue.

The old airline jet cabin seat width established with the Boeing 707 was allegedly based on the body frame of 6 US military personnel who were born in the great Depression and reached adulthood in World War II where you had food rationing.

These seats are the perfect recipe for DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis. Seat size should be set by safety and health standards and not economics.

My body frame is not all that wide, but those 1950's seat widths should be ruled un-safe and un-healthy.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The only high-density 77W with 3-4-3 confirmed to be currently operating is JA783A, which is currently operating to US destinations (IAD, ORD, LAX, SFO).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:55 pm

Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it but will the 3-4-3 configured 777s keep the 34" seat pitch?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Whatever inclination I had to consider switching to NH has completely disappeared. Even if JL matches this and goes to 3-4-3, JL at least offers reasonable premium economy fares, whereas NH PY fares are often close to J.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jackthedog
Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it but will the 3-4-3 configured 777s keep the 34" seat pitch?
It looks like it, as the number of rows is unchanged. I suspect the 3-4-3 is also conventional seats and not the fixed-back sliders...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
The only high-density 77W with 3-4-3 confirmed to be currently operating is JA783A
JA783A shifted to HND routes on March 30 when several new HND longhaul routes started. It has flown to LHR, FRA, and GMP twice each since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.