Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Alaska in a few weeks (4th july weekend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold

We have a trip planned for about 10 days starting with 4th of July weekend. With the whole covid thing, we have been on top of flights and have been reading the re-open alaska and already have out testing appt made for the covid test prior to departure. With that said, we just received notice that one of our hotels will not be re-opening (pretty bad spot to be hotelless too int he middle of nowhere). I had planned on calling most hotels in about a week (2 weeks prior to departure) to see what there opening plan was and to make sure they would be operating. This sort of just accelerated the process.

Can anyone who is from Alaska or will be there soon, give me a heads up as to how it's going as far as re-openings.
Our itinerary is as follows: (which mostly consists of us two driving by ourselves in our car with very minimal interaction, which is why we had decided to go ahead and go).
Arrive Fairbanks, Chena hot springs (website says they are open), fairbanks, Paxson-Denali hwy (our lodging just cancelled us here and there seems to be nothing else), Valdez, Sutton, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks

How's it looking in these places?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
>>Arrive Fairbanks, Chena hot springs (website says they are open), fairbanks, Paxson-Denali hwy (our lodging just cancelled us here and there seems to be nothing else), Valdez, Sutton, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks

Are you doing all that in 10 days? Sounds like you will be seeing more of the Alaska road system than seeing Alaska! If you are spending less than 2 nights in any place you have little or no time to see or do anything in that location. If the Paxson lodging fell through, look at Glennallen. Also, remember Alaskans are out in full force on July 4 weekend. Also, I hope you are not relying on Google Maps for driving times. They are great for driving distances, but their driving times woefully underestimate the actual driving times. You need to add 50% to their driving times to be accurate. That is not considering holiday traffic, construction, slow RV's ahead of you, photo stops, gas stops, food stops, etc.
miadukes likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fti
Are you doing all that in 10 days? Sounds like you will be seeing more of the Alaska road system than seeing Alaska! If you are spending less than 2 nights in any place you have little or no time to see or do anything in that location. If the Paxson lodging fell through, look at Glennallen. Also, remember Alaskans are out in full force on July 4 weekend. Also, I hope you are not relying on Google Maps for driving times. They are great for driving distances, but their driving times woefully underestimate the actual driving times. You need to add 50% to their driving times to be accurate. That is not considering holiday traffic, construction, slow RV's ahead of you, photo stops, gas stops, food stops, etc.
This. If you haven't been to Alaska before, take all of fti's comments to heart. Alaska is big and the roads are slow.

David
miadukes likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
>>Arrive Fairbanks, Chena hot springs (website says they are open), fairbanks, Paxson-Denali hwy (our lodging just cancelled us here and there seems to be nothing else), Valdez, Sutton, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks

Yes, we have a night at each stop, it was initially a motorcycle tour and we passed on that and will be doing it ourselves in a car instead. We are not going to be hiking or anything like that and wanted to do a few tours and figured it would be ok. We did Yelloswtone much the same way last year and it worked out great for us. Thanks about the driving times, I have been using Google maps but mostly for distance, figuring it would be a lot more.
Our accomodations fell through for just that one night so we have decided to just to faribanks to valdez in a one day and get to spend two nights in valdez, we realize it will be a long drive but there is a lot of sun and we have no problem with the long drive. You think even with the pandemic, there will be horders out on 4th of july? Genuinely curious. I was actually thinking, provided we get to travel in two weeks, it would be nice to go this year since the "tourists" will be way down, and yes we will probably miss out on some things that are closed but it will be less full..apparently i might be wrong lol
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:13 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From all i have read Alaskans are out in full force this summer. They always were over July 4th weekend anyway.

You seriously won't experience Alaska just see nice scenery all the time. But it's your decision. It's a common rookie mistake for first time visitors to Alaska.

I hope you know the strict entry requirements in place now. A negative COVID19 test within 72 hours of arrival or mandatory quarantine.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
From all i have read Alaskans are out in full force this summer. They always were over July 4th weekend anyway.

You seriously won't experience Alaska just see nice scenery all the time. But it's your decision. It's a common rookie mistake for first time visitors to Alaska.

I hope you know the strict entry requirements in place now. A negative COVID19 test within 72 hours of arrival or mandatory quarantine.
Good to know about the extra people on the road would have had no idea. Yes we are aware and should have no issues as have been keeping to ourselves as mostly as possible so to speak, we already have out tests scheduled and will do another two days later since we have about 25 hrs travel time with layovers and can't seem to figure out from when the 72 hrs apply.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti

Seriously, we like nice scenery. lol We can always go back to do it again should we feel we missed anything. We actually, before covid, were talking about returning in the winter for a few days. This will probably get our feet wet and I know Alaska is on my mom's bucket list and I will have a better idea of what to do when I travel with her in the future.

Like i said upthread, we did yellowstone much the same way and very much enjoyed our 10 days there. We are not much for hiking or what not but yes should I have al the money and time in the world, there were a few things I would probably have stayed extra to do or just to relax an extra night in some places, we know its a bit rushed but feel that it's right for us. I will definitely have to come back and update after we get back (provided that we have no issues with covid test) My main fear is that we are asymptomatic or something which is why we are making sure to get tested before and not relying on the test upon arrival.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes
Seriously, we like nice scenery. lol We can always go back to do it again should we feel we missed anything. We actually, before covid, were talking about returning in the winter for a few days. This will probably get our feet wet and I know Alaska is on my mom's bucket list and I will have a better idea of what to do when I travel with her in the future.

Like i said upthread, we did yellowstone much the same way and very much enjoyed our 10 days there. We are not much for hiking or what not but yes should I have al the money and time in the world, there were a few things I would probably have stayed extra to do or just to relax an extra night in some places, we know its a bit rushed but feel that it's right for us. I will definitely have to come back and update after we get back (provided that we have no issues with covid test) My main fear is that we are asymptomatic or something which is why we are making sure to get tested before and not relying on the test upon arrival.
I hope you have a great time! Everyone has their own travel style. And you will definitely want to go back for more!

I would be grateful if you come back and update how it was. We are planning to go in August. We have a plan for getting the Covid-19 test in advance but cannot be sure our results will arrive in time. The way I read the Alaska FAQs the 72 hours is measured based on departure time (I guess the first flight?) not arrival time, but it is still hard to get a turnaround that quick.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maykita
I hope you have a great time! Everyone has their own travel style. And you will definitely want to go back for more!

I would be grateful if you come back and update how it was. We are planning to go in August. We have a plan for getting the Covid-19 test in advance but cannot be sure our results will arrive in time. The way I read the Alaska FAQs the 72 hours is measured based on departure time (I guess the first flight?) not arrival time, but it is still hard to get a turnaround that quick.
Thanks, I hope so too. Well we planned our Covid test for Monday (technically morning) and we leave Thursday evening. I would think that suffices for 72 hrs but just in case we are going to try for the 24hrs before testing lottery and attempt to get an appt for the Tuesday at the local county testing site. That tuesday test for sure should count. Plus we just really want to make sure its negative BEFORE we leave. I would hate to get stuck in Alaska with no way home for 14 days or more.. I would think that is Monday is Negative, Tuesday should be too. One would think its initial departure as well but haven't quite nailed it. On the other thread someone posted that its from the initial departure. Either way I don't want to take any chances.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is one example of why traveling in Alaska isn't like traveling in the lower 48. There is only one way to get to most places. This accident is closing the road south of Anchorage for hours. Similar incidents, plus road construction, are two very common examples.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Se...571430361.html
miadukes likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I have Pulled my sleeping bag out of the back and had a snooze at a traffic hold up about 5 years ago
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:50 am

[QUOTE=miadukes;32460555
Arrive Fairbanks, Chena hot springs (website says they are open), fairbanks, Paxson-Denali hwy (our lodging just cancelled us here and there seems to be nothing else), Valdez, Sutton, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks

How's it looking in these places?[/QUOTE]

Pick North or south of Anchorage and concentrate on one or the other would be my advice
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone but unfortunately our trip is already set the way it is, and we are not going to deviate at this point. Whether its a bad idea or not will remain to be seen. I will definitely post back our experience upon returning.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes
Thanks for the info everyone but unfortunately our trip is already set the way it is, and we are not going to deviate at this point. Whether its a bad idea or not will remain to be seen. I will definitely post back our experience upon returning.
please do, I should be leaving for 3 weeks RV trip in Alaska on Friday but the English government and the Alaska rules have conspired against me and its all cancelled
miadukes likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
The 72 hours is between when the test is administered and the time of your departure for Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.