FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska in a few weeks (4th july weekend)
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:50 am
miadukes

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by fti
>>Arrive Fairbanks, Chena hot springs (website says they are open), fairbanks, Paxson-Denali hwy (our lodging just cancelled us here and there seems to be nothing else), Valdez, Sutton, Seward, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Fairbanks

Are you doing all that in 10 days? Sounds like you will be seeing more of the Alaska road system than seeing Alaska! If you are spending less than 2 nights in any place you have little or no time to see or do anything in that location. If the Paxson lodging fell through, look at Glennallen. Also, remember Alaskans are out in full force on July 4 weekend. Also, I hope you are not relying on Google Maps for driving times. They are great for driving distances, but their driving times woefully underestimate the actual driving times. You need to add 50% to their driving times to be accurate. That is not considering holiday traffic, construction, slow RV's ahead of you, photo stops, gas stops, food stops, etc.
Yes, we have a night at each stop, it was initially a motorcycle tour and we passed on that and will be doing it ourselves in a car instead. We are not going to be hiking or anything like that and wanted to do a few tours and figured it would be ok. We did Yelloswtone much the same way last year and it worked out great for us. Thanks about the driving times, I have been using Google maps but mostly for distance, figuring it would be a lot more.
Our accomodations fell through for just that one night so we have decided to just to faribanks to valdez in a one day and get to spend two nights in valdez, we realize it will be a long drive but there is a lot of sun and we have no problem with the long drive. You think even with the pandemic, there will be horders out on 4th of july? Genuinely curious. I was actually thinking, provided we get to travel in two weeks, it would be nice to go this year since the "tourists" will be way down, and yes we will probably miss out on some things that are closed but it will be less full..apparently i might be wrong lol