Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Maybe some of this fake schedules posting will be addressed per this

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/col...3b4ac0489.html
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by felicidad76
Maybe some of this fake schedules posting will be addressed per this

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/col...3b4ac0489.html
Can you catch a newcomer to this thread up?

Fake schedules?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
Can you catch a newcomer to this thread up?

Fake schedules?
The issue in the article is about staffing but there are a myriad of other reasons airlines will post a schedule nearly a year in-advance only to cancel them months later....like low passengers numbers/lack of revenue. I've found that my flights AFTER a schedule change end up being better than the ones I had originally booked since what I might have originally wanted (like more EQMs) would have been more expensive if I had originally booked that routing.
chrisl137 and anteater like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
Moved from Portland

Left Portland after being a life long resident in October and moved to Bend. Flying is more difficult but manageable. Cold but we could not be happier.

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
A lot of people are leaving Portland. Including professionals and families.

I believe the population in Oregon is now shrinking, or staying flat (not growing anymore).
I still employ lots of people in the city, but, I'd never open another company there.
Most of our top people are all eager to leave as well.

Portland isn't a place to raise a family, or call home for many anymore.
I left in 2020 and am growing other companies in other states.

It's a sad place, and as people leave, the demand for seats goes down.
Shrug.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CAVU
Left Portland after being a life long resident in October and moved to Bend. Flying is more difficult but manageable. Cold but we could not be happier.
Life-long Portlander here too and my family and I got out to Maui a couple years ago. Bend is such a cool city these days. My oldest lives there and is unlikely to ever leave he says. It's a bummer they did away with the RDM>PDX route since driving over the mountains can be so treacherous and time-consuming in the winter. Routing through SEA isn't the worst but definitely adds some time.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
More cuts at PDX... PDX-PHX non-stops down from 3x/day to 2x/day for several tix I had booked through the spring -- looks like I'll be going through Seattle instead -- a 2 PM departure versus 8 PM really gets in the way for a business trip.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by leroix
More cuts at PDX... PDX-PHX non-stops down from 3x/day to 2x/day for several tix I had booked through the spring -- looks like I'll be going through Seattle instead -- a 2 PM departure versus 8 PM really gets in the way for a business trip.
PDX-PHX has been 2x a day in spring/summer for a while now. If it were me I’d cancel and rebook on AA at a time that works.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by leroix
Need to have my wife check this -- she is on a PHX-PDX in July. [As of now they still show three a day then.] It does feel like AS is trying to get more folks in the PDX market to drive to SEA, especially since it's a lot cheaper to fly nonstop and you may wait longer to change planes in SEA than it takes to drive there. I'll have to make sure to let her know to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Need to have my wife check this -- she is on a PHX-PDX in July. [As of now they still show three a day then.] It does feel like AS is trying to get more folks in the PDX market to drive to SEA, especially since it's a lot cheaper to fly nonstop and you may wait longer to change planes in SEA than it takes to drive there. I'll have to make sure to let her know to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the heads-up.
do people actually drive 3 hours from PDX to SEA Just to save a couple dollars for domestic flights? Not worth it considering the time, gas prices and the price of parking.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
do people actually drive 3 hours from PDX to SEA Just to save a couple dollars for domestic flights? Not worth it considering the time, gas prices and the price of parking.
First of all, it's not just "a couple dollars". It's often a hundred or more per person EACH WAY. Secondly, if flying from PDX requires a connection in SEA where you'd wait several hours to change planes anyway, AND it costs a lot more out of PDX, then yeah. And as far as parking goes, unless you can get to PDX without needing airport parking, it's not that much difference. Sometimes you actually SAVE time driving to SEA if the connection out of SEA is 3-4 hours or more.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:56 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Angry

Originally Posted by mtofell
Routing through SEA isn't the worst but definitely adds some time.
Well sometimes it is the worst. When you have to race through the airport between terminals, walk outside in the rain and dump your bag into the cart, or worst wait hours to go through TSA again if you are coming from international. NO thank you. I prefer PDX nonstop internationally if at all possible. No amount of extra discount coupons, points or I am so sorry is enough. Alaska is toying with us in PDX. Not happy MVPG here. I can't count how many rebooks through SEA we have had this year.
leroix, mildfrequence and noflysea like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ziggy29
First of all, it's not just "a couple dollars". It's often a hundred or more per person EACH WAY. Secondly, if flying from PDX requires a connection in SEA where you'd wait several hours to change planes anyway, AND it costs a lot more out of PDX, then yeah. And as far as parking goes, unless you can get to PDX without needing airport parking, it's not that much difference. Sometimes you actually SAVE time driving to SEA if the connection out of SEA is 3-4 hours or more.
I agree--the routings via SEA have gotten a lot more expensive and the lower fare buckets will quickly sell out on the early morning PDX-SEA flights that people need to take in order to connect to the mid-west/east coast flights out of SEA.
leroix and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ijkh
if you are coming from international. NO thank you.
Yeah, this is an angle I have no experience with. I'm strictly domestic west coast to Hawaii. I have done international going to Mexico several times +/- 15 years ago and I do recall that it is a hassle wherever you are.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mtofell
Yeah, this is an angle I have no experience with. I'm strictly domestic west coast to Hawaii. I have done international going to Mexico several times +/- 15 years ago and I do recall that it is a hassle wherever you are.
Super painless when I arrived at PDX a few times from Europe and had a domestic connection.
ijkh likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
A lot of people are leaving Portland. Including professionals and families.

I believe the population in Oregon is now shrinking, or staying flat (not growing anymore).
. . .
It's a sad place, and as people leave, the demand for seats goes down.
Shrug.
Awesome news! Maybe home prices will continue to plummet and I can get that bungalow in Montavilla or Mount Tabor for a reasonable price and also get an academic job there with less competition. Dreams.
ijkh, jbalmuth and goblazers like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.