FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2101495-my-future-nonstops-pdx-getting-rebooked-sea-connections.html)

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 6:48 am

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Is this even legal practice. I have numerous direct flights from PDX in mid may and now it's pushed to June. They offer money back or rerouting via horrendous Seattle. As 100 k who flies a lot, i find this practice really horrible. If they know there will be no flights they should stop selling tickets. Problem is, i can make connections via other airlines and for this false marketing, it's just leaving me fuming

Aliquot Nov 20, 2022 7:10 am

All the legacies are doing this these days. I just had a one stop itinerary on DL turn into a double connection and a 1.5 hr connection on AA turn into a 5 hour layover.

As the pandemic was evolving this was understandable. But it needs to stop now.

FYI, it's not a good idea to make such a bold assertation in the title of a thread when the body of the thread makes it clear that you don't know if it'd true.

scubadu Nov 20, 2022 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Aliquot (Post 34772020)
<snip>FYI, it's not a good idea to make such a bold assertation in the title of a thread when the body of the thread makes it clear that you don't know if it'd true.

Agreed. My first thought when reading the title is that usually posters who assert something is "illegal" usually have very little actual understanding of the law...

Regards

flytoeat Nov 20, 2022 7:20 am

It's unfortunate, but not "bait and switch". Research it.

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 7:25 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat (Post 34772038)
It's unfortunate, but not "bait and switch". Research it.

I tried to switch title but it doesnt allow me for now

olouie Nov 20, 2022 7:26 am

Feel lucky. A lot of my flights turn from nonstops/quick 1 stops to overnights in Seattle. No idea what AS is thinking, I’ve obviously cancelled anything that requires me to shell out for a hotel room etc and make the travel time much longer that booked.

zrs70 Nov 20, 2022 7:46 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76 (Post 34771989)
Is this even legal practice. I have numerous direct flights from PDX in mid may and now it's pushed to June. They offer money back or rerouting via horrendous Seattle. As 100 k who flies a lot, i find this practice really horrible. If they know there will be no flights they should stop selling tickets. Problem is, i can make connections via other airlines and for this false marketing, it's just leaving me fuming

not sure how others are following this thread. I find it confusing. If I am reading correctly:

1. The op had many flights in the middle of may, and Alaska changed them to June?

2. Alaska offered reroutes or refunds, and the op finds this horrible.

3. Airlines aren’t allowed to change schedules - even when we are talking 8 months out

4. Are there 100k’s who don’t fly a lot?

sfozrhfco Nov 20, 2022 7:59 am

I would say that AS is doing you a favor by giving you 6 months notice. You know AS will be short of aircraft in the first half of the year. You know PDX is not going to ever be prioritized over SEA. The calendar year hasn’t started yet so you are open to any airline with which to start the year as your primary carrier.

If you want a guaranteed schedule, sit back, relax and book your flights a month or two in advance on the carrier with the best schedule and price. 😀

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 8:05 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 34772080)
not sure how others are following this thread. I find it confusing. If I am reading correctly:

1. The op had many flights in the middle of may, and Alaska changed them to June?

2. Alaska offered reroutes or refunds, and the op finds this horrible.

3. Airlines aren’t allowed to change schedules - even when we are talking 8 months out

4. Are there 100k’s who don’t fly a lot?

I will not get into the personal insults, but I do find it unacceptable to offer something that most likely a priori will not be delivered. I thought after covid this practice would stop. If someone plans months ahead the routing and optimization of time, how can it be acceptable for an airline to keep messing with that. I never said they didn't offer rerouting (I just refuse to fly via Seattle) or money back, but sometimes it just limits your expanded search options that might have been available previously.
they should know by now what their schedule should look like in May. If almost all other airlines excluding USA can do it, i dont understand how this would not make u unhappy as a customer. I can understand frequency adjustment, but eliminating and perpetually prolonging month after month, ISN'T ACCEPTABLE

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 8:08 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 34772094)
I would say that AS is doing you a favor by giving you 6 months notice. You know AS will be short of aircraft in the first half of the year. You know PDX is not going to ever be prioritized over SEA. The calendar year hasn’t started yet so you are open to any airline with which to start the year as your primary carrier.

If you want a guaranteed schedule, sit back, relax and book your flights a month or two in advance on the carrier with the best schedule and price. 😀

I would have to start doing this, and it would lead to less frustration. I agree and will try to do it like this.

SeaLuggageLover Nov 20, 2022 8:44 am

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 34772049)
Feel lucky. A lot of my flights turn from nonstops/quick 1 stops to overnights in Seattle. No idea what AS is thinking, I’ve obviously cancelled anything that requires me to shell out for a hotel room etc and make the travel time much longer that booked.

Has anyone tried to turn in their receipts for reimbursement in this situation? just curious.

olouie Nov 20, 2022 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover (Post 34772217)
Has anyone tried to turn in their receipts for reimbursement in this situation? just curious.

Turn into Alaska? They may do it if your flight is in a few days an it’s due to IRROPS but in my experience if it’s more than a week or two out your on your own. What’s really stupid imho is whatever algorithm is doing this picks overnights instead of giving you an option to take a directs on a different day. As they move things from multiple daily or everyday to only few times a week this becomes a bigger issue.

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 9:40 am

Yes pdx to pvr switch in March from daily for 4 in a week to once a week

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 34772267)
Turn into Alaska? They may do it if your flight is in a few days an it’s due to IRROPS but in my experience if it’s more than a week or two out your on your own. What’s really stupid imho is whatever algorithm is doing this picks overnights instead of giving you an option to take a directs on a different day. As they move things from multiple daily or everyday to only few times a week this becomes a bigger issue.

mbluecpa Nov 20, 2022 10:08 am

It stinks, but schedule changes/frequency reductions/removal of non-stop options are not unprecedented and not illegal. There should be a thread on here started ~7 months back when AS suspended ANC-HNL nonstops for several months, leaving really unattractive re-route options.

Suggest you try calling AS for a better re-route. AS serves PVR from LAX and SFO nearly daily so schedule and connecting airport options might be more favorable for you.

felicidad76 Nov 20, 2022 10:14 am

I think there is a complete understanding that schedule changes and adjustments are totally expected and ok, but if whole sets of cities are being sold as non stop and they just keep pushing them further, what appears perpetually, i really don't think it's a good practice, and thus frustrations.