Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Well dot is now investigating if these are legal practices. I was here put to shame to mention this horrendous practice by alaska. I hope they publish truncated schedule and if they can add more routes better.
https://www.rawstory.com/airline-fraud/

Originally Posted by felicidad76
Is this even legal practice. I have numerous direct flights from PDX in mid may and now it's pushed to June. They offer money back or rerouting via horrendous Seattle. As 100 k who flies a lot, i find this practice really horrible. If they know there will be no flights they should stop selling tickets. Problem is, i can make connections via other airlines and for this false marketing, it's just leaving me fuming
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree--the routings via SEA have gotten a lot more expensive and the lower fare buckets will quickly sell out on the early morning PDX-SEA flights that people need to take in order to connect to the mid-west/east coast flights out of SEA.
Any single fare bucket is now priced significantly more if you're connecting vs. that same fare bucket on a nonstop (e.g., an N fare SFO-BOS is $230, but an N fare SFO-SEA-BOS is $330).
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Any single fare bucket is now priced significantly more if you're connecting vs. that same fare bucket on a nonstop (e.g., an N fare SFO-BOS is $230, but an N fare SFO-SEA-BOS is $330).
My PDX > OGG are similar... non-stop is usually 270 while routed through SEA is 335 (Main). For some reason going to PDX there is rarely an SEA routing but heading to OGG there usually is. Probably has to do with time change and general routing of planes - flights from PDX to OGG are usually in the morning. Getting off this island to head back to the mainland early in the day is tough.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
To be more specific, there are separate fare filings with different price points which apply to non-stop flights (routing code 4), vs. connecting options on this route (routing code 56) as covered in the routing rules. Examples from EF below. There can be multiple fare filings in a single fare class with different advance purchase requirements, seasonal application, etc. But they basically duplicate each filing with a non-stop specific one that is cheaper than the corresponding fare filing for connecting flights which is more expensive.

Generally, it is more profitable to sell seats on SFO-SEA and SEA-BOS flights to two different passengers rather than to a single passenger on one fare. There are other ways of pricing the connecting itins higher (married segment inventory), but hard-coding it in the fare rules achieves the same outcome without having to resort to married segment inventory bucket manipulation.

leroix likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 25, 2023 at 5:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.