Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

My Future Nonstops from PDX Are Getting Rebooked as SEA Connections

Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Shedule changes should be expected 8 months out, but the airlines have all (not just AS) been abusing this post-covid. Publishing a shedule that they know is impossible to fly is deceptive, and is diffent than the normal shedule changes that occure when routes or flights prove unprofitable, or operational constraints develop.
Schedules 180 to 330 days out are nothing more than placeholders. Airlines are requested to file their schedules this far out for airport slot purposes & general planning. The schedule then typically gets adjusted, industry norms anyway, at days 90 and 180. However, we're seeing airlines doing changes at 30 days out now too... (including Alaska). Alaska will make some "fun" changes sometimes at 3 days out, mostly swapping -800s/-900s around, which gives us an extra 4 first class seats when its on the upgrade side.
ashill likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
The thing that’s illegal, and they know it, is a change of more than an hour.

if they have a change of more than an hour, both parties have two choices - refund, or find a win.

I have ALWAYS found that Alaska would prefer to find a win and not issue a refund - and agents pretty much have free authority and ability to get you on the flight you want at no additional cost. They are pretty awesome.

I book my vacation flights at usually 300 days out. They change a ton every time. The end result - I usually end up with better seats and better flights as a 20 year elite who can literally see the million mark in my immediate future.

they will work with you! Be patient and kind, and Alaska will do what they are famous for - customer service.
PDXFlyBoy and deal like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
this is part of the "problem" by booking travel on your own
Disagree, the answer is not to go back to the 1970s, but to be sensible when booking transcons or midcons six months in advance, especially on routes where AS, or any airline, has just 1-2x flights/day.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I will not get into the personal insults, but I do find it unacceptable to offer something that most likely a priori will not be delivered. I thought after covid this practice would stop. If someone plans months ahead the routing and optimization of time, how can it be acceptable for an airline to keep messing with that. I never said they didn't offer rerouting (I just refuse to fly via Seattle) or money back, but sometimes it just limits your expanded search options that might have been available previously.
they should know by now what their schedule should look like in May. If almost all other airlines excluding USA can do it, i dont understand how this would not make u unhappy as a customer. I can understand frequency adjustment, but eliminating and perpetually prolonging month after month, ISN'T ACCEPTABLE
While I sympathize with the frustration (I too generally won’t fly AS east with a SEA connection, not because of some moral issue but because the cost value usually isn’t there compared to other airlines), AS isn’t going to be the airline for you if you refuse to connect in SEA.
mbluecpa, psychtobe and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mikexner

they will work with you! Be patient and kind, and Alaska will do what they are famous for - customer service.
That works when the airline can get you where you want to go within an hour or two or even three of your original plans. It doesn't necessarily work when a route is suspended / discontinued, an airport loses service, the new connection causes an unexpected overnight, and so on.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That works when the airline can get you where you want to go within an hour or two or even three of your original plans. It doesn't necessarily work when a route is suspended / discontinued, an airport loses service, the new connection causes an unexpected overnight, and so on.
You mean you don't want to wait 11 months until the route which has 30 flights or less per year operates again?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:36 pm

this is part of the "problem" by booking travel on your own: as a travel agent, we do this *all* the time for clients. I was even able to move clients from MLB-CLT-SEA to a better MCO-CLT-SEA connection on AA when their flight time changed by just over 2 hours out of MLB. Airline websites and online travel websites have NO mention of your rights as a traveler, or its burried in 200 pages of the contract of carriage or fare rules, which Alaska doesn't make easy to find. But for me, its 3 simple key strokes to read the fare rules.
You moved a client from AS to AA without any charges when changes were weeks or months away? I might have to be using you from now on. I booked a few AS trips through a TA before that were impacted by changes and the TA couldnt move beyond +/- 2 days without it would reprice. As I understand things thats AS normal amount of leeway on any AS ticket before repricing.

Last edited by olouie; Nov 21, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by olouie
You moved a client from AS to AA without any charges when changes were weeks or months away? I might have to be using you from now on. I booked a few AS trips through a TA before that were impacted by changes and the TA couldnt move beyond +/- 2 days without it would reprice. As I understand things thats AS normal amount of leeway on any AS ticket before repricing.
Unless AS started flying to CLT thats not what happened.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:47 am

this is part of the "problem" by booking travel on your own: as a travel agent, we do this *all* the time for clients. I was even able to move clients from MLB-CLT-SEA to a better MCO-CLT-SEA connection on AA when their flight time changed by just over 2 hours out of MLB. Airline websites and online travel websites have NO mention of your rights as a traveler, or its burried in 200 pages of the contract of carriage or fare rules, which Alaska doesn't make easy to find. But for me, its 3 simple key strokes to read the fare rules.
I appreciate the convenience that TA's provide, but the fare rules are not a couple of clicks away for everybody.

I actually find it a great inconvenience when I am forced to use a travel agent. I am sure their are still good ones out there, and I would love to find one, but the ones I am forced to use are often incapable of "seeing" the itineraries I want and are available online. Especially if it involves an interline connection.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Unless AS started flying to CLT thats not what happened.
Yeah I just wanted to know since AA is much more flexible than AS when schedule changes occur. So it sounds like he did AA to AA changes. I've not had great success in getting AS to help with schedule changes beyond +/- 1 or 2 days.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Yeah I just wanted to know since AA is much more flexible than AS when schedule changes occur. So it sounds like he did AA to AA changes. I've not had great success in getting AS to help with schedule changes beyond +/- 1 or 2 days.
No, they excell at booking complicated alternatives when IROPS strike, but are just like everyone else with schedule changes.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
A lot of people are leaving Portland. Including professionals and families.

I believe the population in Oregon is now shrinking, or staying flat (not growing anymore).
I still employ lots of people in the city, but, I'd never open another company there.
Most of our top people are all eager to leave as well.

Portland isn't a place to raise a family, or call home for many anymore.
I left in 2020 and am growing other companies in other states.

It's a sad place, and as people leave, the demand for seats goes down.
Shrug.
DuckFlyer, leroix and mtofell like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

I believe the population in Oregon is now shrinking, or staying flat (not growing anymore).
I still employ lots of people in the city, but, I'd never open another company there.

Shrug.
Count me and my family - lived there my entire life and when Covid hit we moved to Maui. Breaks my heart to see what's become of the city. I still have a company there that I can't wait to sell. Fwiw, I do fly in/out a lot more than I used to but that's (hopefully) somewhat temporary.
DuckFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

Shrug.
This is exactly why PDX non stops are being cancelled. Shrinking demand.

We lived there for 15 years and moved to Bend in 2020. So sad to see what has happened in Portland.

A few years ago I got flamed for saying that PDX would eventually be more on par with GEG or BOI when it comes to service, frequency and destinations, but that is exactly what things are trending towards. I can’t even get a flight from RDM to PDX anymore! Not enough demand.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
We shall see. Cities have ups and downs. Many people from bay area who I personally know and work for big techs, and work remotely bought condos in pearl within the last year. I invested myself in pearl condo so I live split between corvallis and portland l, as working for a big pharmaceutical company, I can work remotely. I hope city goes upward from where it's now.

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
This is exactly why PDX non stops are being cancelled. Shrinking demand.

We lived there for 15 years and moved to Bend in 2020. So sad to see what has happened in Portland.

A few years ago I got flamed for saying that PDX would eventually be more on par with GEG or BOI when it comes to service, frequency and destinations, but that is exactly what things are trending towards. I can’t even get a flight from RDM to PDX anymore! Not enough demand.
Bellerina likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.