Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ends Emirates Partnership (7/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QR awards:- no--->https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
Select Middle East to Contiguous U.S. and Alaska. When live that is one place would expect them to show first

AS QR master thread--> Qatar Airways (QR) Partners With AS and Adds SEA-DOH
Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: free agent
am i thinking right way. it does look like i could add 2nd flight to my existing award J booking beyond Aug 1 or making new reservation (up to J) BEFORE july 31 and pray for no drastic changes to my booking (or travel restrictions remain in place)?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by washeelers747
am i thinking right way. it does look like i could add 2nd flight to my existing award J booking beyond Aug 1 or making new reservation (up to J) BEFORE july 31 and pray for no drastic changes to my booking (or travel restrictions remain in place)?
You can make changes within the current rules until 31 July. After that, if you make any changes, the award will be cancelled. It would be wise to have a back up plan if you think things might change--which they likely will given the ever changing landscape for international travel this year.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
NOOOOOOOOOO!! LOl damnit that was always my dream rewards flight emirates first class to Dubai had it booked March 2020 now have used most of my miles for flights last year since status didnt matter gosh that is extremely depressing!
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Bye bye SQ and KE
Omg I didn't realize ...SQ will be gone too?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Sonny84
Omg I didn't realize ...SQ will be gone too?
AS never said anything about SQ partnership termination yet. who know if it will happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if CX put some pressure on AS to divorce from SQ. AS partnership with SQ is one of my primary reason to stick with AS, instead of AA. If they end that partnership, then AA FFP probably works better for me.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by washeelers747
AS never said anything about SQ partnership termination yet. who know if it will happens or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if CX put some pressure on AS to divorce from SQ. AS partnership with SQ is one of my primary reason to stick with AS, instead of AA. If they end that partnership, then AA FFP probably works better for me.
I love flying AS, but AAdvantage is much more valuable as a FF program for me. The thing to remember is EP or CK are the levels that make AAdvantage valuable, IMHO. I don’t know your flying pattern, but if meeting the spend level is going to be more work than G75, I’d stay with AS because the Emerald status along with EP keeps me OW loyal. However, If I couldn’t make the spend levels, I’d switch to AS mileage plan. Just my 2 cents.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Tack
I love flying AS, but AAdvantage is much more valuable as a FF program for me. The thing to remember is EP or CK are the levels that make AAdvantage valuable, IMHO. I don’t know your flying pattern, but if meeting the spend level is going to be more work than G75, I’d stay with AS because the Emerald status along with EP keeps me OW loyal. However, If I couldn’t make the spend levels, I’d switch to AS mileage plan. Just my 2 cents.
I already credit bunch of AS F flights to MP so I'll see if I can hit MVPG or G75 this year. It's nice to have EK for additional option when it come to long haul flying but QR serve most same routes though. I'll try to hit MVPG this year, maybe 75K if world open up more and there are amazing J/F fares ( I am 100% leisure flyer and it's kinda hard to justify 75K but getting off from hamster wheel is pretty hard ) .
Tack likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I am booking Emirates biz speculatively for next Spring. I understand I'll be locked into these dates once Aug 1 rolls around - but am I correct that I can cancel and get a full mileage redeposit if at some point between Aug 1 and the date of the flight I decide the dates don't work for me?
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes you are correct.
learnedpaw likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I have a F award where my DXB-STN was cancelled and I was rebooked on DXB-LHR. Ticket sits with AS and hasn’t been reissued - I’m too scared to call AS - will they reissue EK F or shall I wait until it is under airport control?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wmaciej
I have a F award where my DXB-STN was cancelled and I was rebooked on DXB-LHR. Ticket sits with AS and hasn’t been reissued - I’m too scared to call AS - will they reissue EK F or shall I wait until it is under airport control?
If you plan to travel, get it sorted this week before the partnership ends. If they can't reticket you now, at least you know what you will be facing. If they can, it has to happen by the 31st. Otherwise, they may just offer a refund of points.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Airport control would be the worst. AS is the ticketing agent. EK won't fly you anywhere without a valid unused ticket coupon for your flight segment.
eponymous_coward and ffman999 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
I had a similar schedule change on an EK F award for 2022 which happened after the end date of F availability. EK notified me of the change and they automatically chose a replacement flight (in F -- and on a flight with their new F to boot!). I was able to call AS and they were able to update the ticket no problem. What I was told is that as long as EK puts in a replacement option in the PNR, AS should be able to reissue the ticket. No idea what happens after 7/31, but presumably the same would apply -- as long as EK puts you in an alternate flight, the ticket should be able to be reissued.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by seadan
I had a similar schedule change on an EK F award for 2022 which happened after the end date of F availability. EK notified me of the change and they automatically chose a replacement flight (in F -- and on a flight with their new F to boot!). I was able to call AS and they were able to update the ticket no problem. What I was told is that as long as EK puts in a replacement option in the PNR, AS should be able to reissue the ticket. No idea what happens after 7/31, but presumably the same would apply -- as long as EK puts you in an alternate flight, the ticket should be able to be reissued.
Definitely agree that EK reticketing on their own makes this all soooo much easier. This is where the issue comes in for most routes with a single daily flight. EK will downgrade to J and that’ll be that. AS agents have been told to not entertain requests for requests for space to be put through to EK so you’re stuck, though there are exceptions if you’re persistent/YMMV depending on the agent you get.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If you plan to travel, get it sorted this week before the partnership ends. If they can't reticket you now, at least you know what you will be facing. If they can, it has to happen by the 31st. Otherwise, they may just offer a refund of points.
100%. Agents still have some leeway and room to move while they still have some degree of relationship with EK. That goes out the window next week and who knows what the response will be

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.