FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Ends Emirates Partnership (7/31/2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2041576-ends-emirates-partnership-7-31-2021-a.html)

Mahogany Jun 2, 2021 9:54 am

AS Ends Emirates Partnership (7/31/2021)

Received this email today:

Emirates partnership update. Our partnership with Emirates will end on July 31, 2021. Mileage Plan members can continue to earn and redeem miles** on oneworld® member airlines and our Global Partners to more than 1,000 destinations on 20+ airlines, including Europe, Asia, India, the Middle East, Africa, and Australia.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rce=ESTATEMENT

Who’s next?

bmvaughn Jun 2, 2021 10:00 am

I guess this isn't terribly surprising with Qatar in oneworld,

leontief Jun 2, 2021 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 33297553)
I guess this isn't terribly surprising with Qatar in oneworld,

FWIW, AA manages to make it work with Etihad.

agjil Jun 2, 2021 10:27 am

This is terrible news.
I was hoping AS would keep their partnership with EK after joining One World but I guess I was dreaming.
I really really wish AS did not join One World...

TravelingZoomer Jun 2, 2021 10:28 am

Bye bye SQ and KE

lax.sea.jnu Jun 2, 2021 11:02 am

I have a ticket booked on EK with a return date of August 1st. I need to adjust the outbound date to comply with quarantine rules at my destination. Could this jeopardize earning on the return? The notification doesn’t differentiate “booked” from “reissued.”

washeelers747 Jun 2, 2021 11:05 am

No surprise on Emirates-Alaska divorce. They really emphasize on Qatar in announcement page, so I guess QR pressure Alaska to divorce with EK.

Have to debate what to do with my late-August EK award booking. Kinda have 2nd thought about staying in DXB, but this divorce mean unable to add 2nd segment if i dont want to stay in DXB.

be_rettSEA Jun 2, 2021 11:27 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 33297737)
I have a ticket booked on EK with a return date of August 1st. I need to adjust the outbound date to comply with quarantine rules at my destination. Could this jeopardize earning on the return? The notification doesn’t differentiate “booked” from “reissued.”

I would assume that any changes made after today (per the updated earning chart details below), would not qualify if flight is after 8/1. Language "any dates already ticketed" is pretty clear - anything "reissued" after today would have new tickets issued with a date on/after 6/2, and unless changes were made by EK or AS (schedule changes, flight cancellations, etc), I would not expect to receive credit. Quarantine requirements would likely not constitute an exception - you can, of course, ask if AS will consider due to that, but should be prepared not to get AS credit for the flights.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d0a220532e.png

Kacee Jun 2, 2021 11:31 am

Wow this sucks. The ability to earn EQMs on EK premium cabin flights was a big plus for me.

safari ari Jun 2, 2021 12:34 pm

And they just started flying to TLV :(

formeraa Jun 2, 2021 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 33297752)
No surprise on Emirates-Alaska divorce. They really emphasize on Qatar in announcement page, so I guess QR pressure Alaska to divorce with EK.

Have to debate what to do with my late-August EK award booking. Kinda have 2nd thought about staying in DXB, but this divorce mean unable to add 2nd segment if i dont want to stay in DXB.

I doubt QR "pressured" AS into anything. It was likely agreed to before AS was allowed to enter OneWorld.

ffman999 Jun 2, 2021 12:46 pm

Ugh. I have a reward reservation for September. While I’m sure that’s still valid, I do worry about what happens if schedules change.

washeelers747 Jun 2, 2021 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa (Post 33298010)
I doubt QR "pressured" AS into anything. It was likely agreed to before AS was allowed to enter OneWorld.

im sure EK is like umm, you seems getting closer with my gulf rival and I think we should go on our own path. Will be interesting to see what AS will do with non-OW partners. I def would book and take trip within 1-2 month with non-OW partner to avoid unpleasant surprises such as partnership termination like AS/EK

Bjayjay81 Jun 2, 2021 1:17 pm

The partnership with EK was what convinced me to let AS convert ALLLLL my wallet credit from COVID cancellations at the beginning of 2020 into miles.

WestCoastPDX Jun 2, 2021 1:21 pm

Meh, Emirates F awards going away was the biggest loss for most of us.

Qatar can do everything Emirates could do, except for that A380 F shower...

Just today booked JNB-DOH-SFO-PDX.
I wish AS had kept EK, and the F..... but, whatever.

Emirates J is underwhelming. If we can't have First anymore - Qatar Qsuites will be a decent enough substitute.