Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ends Emirates Partnership (7/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Biggest downside to me is DXB is a great stopover and DOH is not.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I would assume that any changes made after today (per the updated earning chart details below), would not qualify if flight is after 8/1. Language "any dates already ticketed" is pretty clear - anything "reissued" after today would have new tickets issued with a date on/after 6/2, and unless changes were made by EK or AS (schedule changes, flight cancellations, etc), I would not expect to receive credit. Quarantine requirements would likely not constitute an exception - you can, of course, ask if AS will consider due to that, but should be prepared not to get AS credit for the flights.
Thanks, I suppose worst case scenario we could come home a day earlier, but I didn't want to have to choose between cutting the vacation a day short and earning mileage credit. Nearly every ticket these days has some sort of forced schedule change and reissue, so it would have been nice if they made an accommodation for that.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K / DL PM / Bonvoy Platinum / HHonors Gold /mLife Gold / WOH Explorist
Originally Posted by ffman999
This. I was specifically looking forward to visiting DXB. DOH is meh to me.
pacman3 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by formeraa
It was likely agreed to before AS was allowed to enter OneWorld.
My opinion is, I disagree with this statement. I don't have the facts, but there is no argument that Emirates/AS partnership helps to make DXB flights more successful. Both airlines benefit from this partnership. With that said, current traffic post covid had huge impact in EK operation. EK's SEA flight, is not one of their core international operation, and COVID reduced frequencies likely made this partnership, costly for a small gain. Jiburi
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:41 pm

For a US based traveller who maybe flies Emirates once a year, is there any good alternative to where emirates flights should be credited? Just bank on emirates skywards and have orphan miles there?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Meh, Emirates F awards going away was the biggest loss for most of us.
Biggest loss for me is all the big mileage spenders who won't be grossly overspending on EK anymore. More competition for the reasonably-priced stuff.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ffman999
And the transit experience at DOH sucks by comparison. Remote stands and chaotic boarding. Wow did I miss EK's direct boarding from the lounge.

And I actually prefer the EK J seat for comfort to the Q Suite, though the spaciousness and privacy of the Q Suite are pretty cool.
pacman3 and ffman999 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Flying once a year on EK is not going to get you much. The only partner left in the US will be JetBlue. Otherwise, unless you fly to another region of the world regularly where JAL/KE/TAP/COPA/Bangkok Airways might be options, then you won't get much value from the miles. Once upon a time Skywards miles were easy to earn and inexpensive to redeem. Those days are long gone.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bjayjay81
This. I was specifically looking forward to visiting DXB. DOH is meh to me.
Dubai is dynamic. Doha…isn’t. But Qatar is a great airline that I’ve flown in J before so it’s not all a loss.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I guess this isn't terribly surprising with Qatar in oneworld,
Originally Posted by formeraa
I doubt QR "pressured" AS into anything. It was likely agreed to before AS was allowed to enter OneWorld.
Originally Posted by jiburi
My opinion is, I disagree with this statement. I don't have the facts, but there is no argument that Emirates/AS partnership helps to make DXB flights more successful. Both airlines benefit from this partnership. With that said, current traffic post covid had huge impact in EK operation. EK's SEA flight, is not one of their core international operation, and COVID reduced frequencies likely made this partnership, costly for a small gain. Jiburi
EK is a ff partner with Oneworld airlines JL, MH, QF & S7. Been ff partners for many years.
EY is a ff partner with Oneworld airlines AA, MH & UL
To me just the end of a AS-EK commercial agreement

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
For a US based traveller who maybe flies Emirates once a year, is there any good alternative to where emirates flights should be credited? Just bank on emirates skywards and have orphan miles there?
Have a look a https://www.wheretocredit.com/emirates
At the bottom has a list of ff partners. A general guide only:- a starting point for more research.
Note EK ff miles have a hard expiry (unless top status): use them or lose them
FT thread-->Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 2, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Hopefully, Emirates doesn’t leave SEA.
ffman999 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
For EK they still can count on vast network to India and surrounding countries, Africa and Middle east for feed. So they wont leave SEA any time. Now if QR offers low prices then EK has to match and might struggle.

I dont understand why EK is not flexible with its FF program hard expiry makes it difficult to fly EK for loyalty. For US travelers, now Jet Blue is the only carrier to park the miles (and in turn use it on AA). Now JetBlue also partners with AA in North East. Will that partnership continue ?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Are QR awards available online yet? Agree with the posts suggesting the value of the EK partnership was largely over after F awards disappeared, though it was still great partner earnings if you were running on OPM.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Are QR awards available online yet?
Agree with the posts suggesting the value of the EK partnership was largely over after F awards disappeared, though it was still great partner earnings if you were running on OPM.
QR awards:- no--->https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
Select Middle East to Contiguous U.S. and Alaska. When live that is one place would expect them to show first

AS QR master thread--> Qatar Airways (QR) Partners With AS and Adds SEA-DOH
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hyho61

I dont understand why EK is not flexible with its FF program hard expiry makes it difficult to fly EK for loyalty. For US travelers, now Jet Blue is the only carrier to park the miles (and in turn use it on AA). Now JetBlue also partners with AA in North East. Will that partnership continue ?
Skywards is pretty terrible now. Back before they started flying to the US, it was great. It has been on a downward slide ever since and has now gotten to the point where there is little value in even joining. B6/EK have no reason to get rid of the partnership for now. B6 is not in any alliance so they can partner with anybody--just like AS used to do--in the not so distant past.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jun 3, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.