Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Ends Emirates Partnership (7/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Thank you all for the advices - I've called AS and they happily have reissued - no questions asked, all done in 10 mins.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So today's the last day to book an award ticket, huh? While I admit it's an inefficient way to travel between the US and EU, I think I can justify one in my avgeek mind as a "last hurrah" of flying on A380s, transiting through/stopping over in DXB, and the great lounge in T3 (with direct boarding). Surely things will be better by June 2022 and at least one of my A380 flights will have the refreshed cabin...🤞
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: Alaska
EK J is nothing special in A380. 2-3-2 for J.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The EK A380 in J is 1-2-1 with direct aisle access for all seats. Most of the 777s are 2-3-2 except the 777L which is 2-2-2.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ffman999
The EK A380 in J is 1-2-1 with direct aisle access for all seats. Most of the 777s are 2-3-2 except the 777L which is 2-2-2.

sorry. My mistake. It’s 1-2-1 on A380.

EK J is still nothing to shout about, unlike its F on A380. Definitely can’t compete with QR J or many Js
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by freed0m
sorry. My mistake. It’s 1-2-1 on A380.

EK J is still nothing to shout about, unlike its F on A380. Definitely can’t compete with QR J or many Js
I was quite impressed with EK's service in Business Class between LCA & MLA last week though when compared to European or North American carriers.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AC-SE, BV Titanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone had luck changing an AS award on EK F since Aug 1st?

I had some flights schedule changes a couple months ago and never did anything about it. I got an email last week from EK saying tickets have been re-issued. Routing they chose is not bad (very similar to what I booked initially).

However, of my two bookings, one has a stopover in CMB on my way to DXB from MLE, and I would like to get a direct route if I can.

My other 3 segment booking has A380 on all segments, and would like to change it to the new F at some point if possible.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mike88m
They have been clear that no changes are allowed, so not sure what you are expecting. If you want flexibility you can cancel and rebook on another partner.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mike88m

I had some flights schedule changes a couple months ago and never did anything about it. I got an email last week from EK saying tickets have been re-issued. Routing they chose is not bad (very similar to what I booked initially).

However, of my two bookings, one has a stopover in CMB on my way to DXB from MLE, and I would like to get a direct route if I can.

My other 3 segment booking has A380 on all segments, and would like to change it to the new F at some point if possible.
Why would they let you make completely voluntary changes when AS has left the EK partnership?
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Well, well, well. I've just completed my first, and likely, only EK trip. Outbound LAX/DXB F on the A380. Return was DXB/SEA with no more F (originally booked in F and to add insult to injury, there was a last minute aircraft swap from the 77L to a 773 with an unused F cabin).

The nutshell synopsis is:

1) EK F is an incredible experience, at least for my one and only time. Just about every detail was flawless. My only complaint, and not EK's fault, is that I wasn't a big fan of the $400-ish cognac. On the other hand, I wasn't a big fan of the $300-ish cognac, either On the other other hand, I'm not much of a cognac drinker, but I had to try them.

2) EK J was a pleasant experience. It helped that the J cabin only had maybe 15 passengers. F&B was decent. The DXB lounge is huge and completely uninspiring in every other manner.

3) AS didn't put any sort of priority tag @ SFO (nor made sure we were properly on the AS F WL, but that's another post in another thread). Notwithstanding this, EK properly intercepted the luggage @ LAX and attached the proper EK F tag.

4) I'm not sorry I took this trip, which almost had to be canceled for a family medical issue. I have no desire to ever return to DXB except as a connecting passenger, connecting between two EK F flights.

5) In somewhere between two and three million miles of flying, this was my first flight ever where I flew north, and continued north (or within a few degrees of due north) until I was flying south.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE229

Ironically, the airshow map onboard shows the straight line going west, not east like flightaware. The airshow map made a big jump at some point over Greenland and most of Canadia.

So glad I could redeem one of these awards.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, well, well. I've just completed my first, and likely, only EK trip. Outbound LAX/DXB F on the A380. Return was DXB/SEA with no more F (originally booked in F and to add insult to injury, there was a last minute aircraft swap from the 77L to a 773 with an unused F cabin).
I have flown EK F using AS miles several times and agree with just about everything in your report. It was an "Over The Top" experience. I had my final EK F flights booked for earlier this month. LAX-DXB-BLQ up front. Unfortunately Covid-19 restrictions caused some fellow travelers to cancel, which made the trip impossible for me. I was looking forward to one last time with EK.

I have heard good thing about QR and they have shown up a few times on AS searches for me.

Did you request some miles back from AS for the cabin downgrade?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W

Did you request some miles back from AS for the cabin downgrade?
Oh yes, AS reissued the ticket. It was more than "some miles " On the other hand, I'd rather have spent the miles and experienced the DXB lounge and not had to suffer with Voov Click Oh on the way back!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Oh yes, AS reissued the ticket. It was more than "some miles " On the other hand, I'd rather have spent the miles and experienced the DXB lounge and not had to suffer with Voov Click Oh on the way back!
Voov Click Oh is better than Bubbles In A Can that some airlines are serving these days...
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
Voov Click Oh is better than Bubbles In A Can that some airlines are serving these days...
I know. I finished the trip with CannoRed along with my boeuf sando, cookie, and a Costco Chewable Tums-Equivalent
be_rettSEA and safari ari like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Advice needed, please. EK cancelled the last sector of my itinerary and rebooked me on a flight a few hours later. Should I call AS and have it reticketed or leave it for EK to sort out at checkin? The first sectors are intact.

Last edited by wmaciej; Jan 20, 2022 at 1:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.