Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K/100K AA (SWU-Like) International Upgrades on a Very Limited Number of AA Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Follow the link in post #10 and read. Expert Flyer (EF) is also your friend for C space search, although not straightforward any more, with both a revenue C and upgrade C now (C used to be only upgrade space, I think). I believe the link in #10 informs on what to do to find upgrade C via EF. Also, at least as late as November 2019, (could have changed, but unlikely) you could only use SWU on AA metal. If I am wrong, don't worry, someone will be along shortly to straighten us both out....lol...good luck!
You are correct that SWUs can only be used on AA metal.

And to keep things simple and in this thread, to find Upgrade space on EF, you need to:

1. Search in the Awards and Upgrades section. That will return only the A and C upgrade inventory, not the paid inventory.

2. Less of a concern for these certificates since they are limited to non-stops in specific markets, but you need to search segment-by-segment, not a full itinerary.
(E.g. you might search LAX-LHR and see it return an LAX-SEA-LHR itinerary with LAX-SEA as C7 and SEA-LHR as C7. You might think that there are 7 C upgrade spots available on the SEA-LHR, but if you search SEA-LHR by itself, it might show as C0...the individual segment is the one you should go by and what the agents will see).

3. Make sure you click "Exclude Codeshares," or else it will show you the AA flight number for a BA-operated flight with C inventory which is purely a paid fare bucket on BA, and has not even a passing relationship to upgrade inventory on AA.

It's not the most intuitive process, but once you have the basics down of what things mean on AA and in EF, it's quick.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Confirmed LAX-LHR in C for 2 pax later this year. Nice benefit, can't complain.
beckoa, olouie, haroon145 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by channa
How much were the extra taxes and fees? Or is that only for UK departures?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I’ve had good luck with this approach: Check for mileage award space in business at aa.com. Sometimes it’s useful to check segment by segment and waitlist the domestic if the international is available. I then place the itn on hold and call AA to upgrade with the SWU (hopefully the AS books in same category).
mikew99 and channa like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
How much were the extra taxes and fees? Or is that only for UK departures?
Nothing since it was Eastbound.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
That is awesome! I am happy the "opportunity" & offered routes worked for you? I am not hopeful for SYD so this opportunity likely won't be beneficial for me but I do appreciate AS & AA have made the opportunity available for AS Elites. Did you purchase a one-way or return itinerary?

In the fall, a LAX-LHR (1364 EQM) one-way is a little more than half of a return while SEA-LHR (1200 EQM) is about 75% of a return.

James
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Don’t go looking for space on LAX-HND-LAX. No flights until October 30.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Are these just mini-SWUs? If so, I believe it's a test run for the one SWU 75k gets next year.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
AS better be careful here. Giving AS fliers second-class status (and instruments) to AA EXP's won't go over well in the long run. Hopefully this takes off some of the heat from Golds losing benefits like free changes and the Saver fare introduction.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
If the inventory is there, time of booking.
Which is kind of odd how they worded it. Because "space available upgrades" are generally for upgrades processed last at the gate.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Where are these codes showing up....in an email or in your AS account page? So if someone qualifies for 75K next week are they eligible or is it only for those with 75K status as of today?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Where are these codes showing up....in an email or in your AS account page? So if someone qualifies for 75K next week are they eligible or is it only for those with 75K status as of today?
I can't answer the last question but the code is included in a personalized email.

James
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:45 pm

Will this work for connections? For instance if I fly SEA-LHR (on AA) and then connect to a BA flight to a European destination.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LeonS
Will this work for connections? For instance if I fly SEA-LHR (on AA) and then connect to a BA flight to a European destination.
I'm guessing it depends on who issues the ticket...
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeonS
Yes, mine is AA connecting to BA. Everything is AA coded, and only the long-haul leg (AA) is what was upgraded.
LeonS and futuramadramallama like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.