Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
OTOH for those of us who've been earning status by flying 90K on a combination of AS and partner airlines, it's "only" a 10% or so increase in mileage requirements.
Assuming if, and this is a big if, the AS GGUs operate as SWUs on AA metal, then the 10% mileage increase is a fair trade, in my view.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
On a more serious note, i think the big piece here is AS is starting to try and play like the Big 3. I've been running the Diamond Challenge from Delta, and even in a Pandemic, they are just so insanely elite heavy. I think what we are ultimately going to see is as Alliance members get status and start to boot AS folks (MVP already gets nothing, Gold 50%-ish as it is) a real overall devaluation in the program will occur. We can argue the segments on AS should help to slow this down, but the reality is, those folks will just jump to AA, get the status, use it on AS. If you regularly hit 75k on AS, I'm failing to see the advantage of AS over AA. 7k spend for Plat pro is pretty inline as it is with what I usually spend anyways. Over the next few years I see AS going from having a strong mileage plan to a mediocre one. I know personally that if it devalues too far, I'll just go freelance or switch to Delta. They just don't have a hard product that competes with the big 3, much less the routes or infrastructure. Really liking this OW alliance joining less and less as time goes on.
ftv likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, I'm not so concerned for myself, but I think overall this is a bad sign for loyal Alaska fliers...
Most certainly the loyal 75K road warriors earning status solely on domestic flights.

Originally Posted by Visconti
Assuming if, and this is a big if, the AS GGUs operate as SWUs on AA metal, then the 10% mileage increase is a fair trade, in my view.
Agreed for leisure flyers like us. I can only hope that AS does not add a minimum spend.
Visconti and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
As I mentioned many moons ago, close alignment in the functioning and terms of Mileage Plan and AAdvantage was inevitable. Those thinking they'd enjoy some sort of "best of all worlds" scenario with generous 2019 MP terms + oneworld were being delusional, IMHO. AS accepted the need to greatly change the ways it does business the moment it signed onto the new partnership with AA and oneworld entry.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by rune87
On a more serious note, i think the big piece here is AS is starting to try and play like the Big 3. I've been running the Diamond Challenge from Delta, and even in a Pandemic, they are just so insanely elite heavy. I think what we are ultimately going to see is as Alliance members get status and start to boot AS folks (MVP already gets nothing, Gold 50%-ish as it is) a real overall devaluation in the program will occur. We can argue the segments on AS should help to slow this down, but the reality is, those folks will just jump to AA, get the status, use it on AS. If you regularly hit 75k on AS, I'm failing to see the advantage of AS over AA. 7k spend for Plat pro is pretty inline as it is with what I usually spend anyways. Over the next few years I see AS going from having a strong mileage plan to a mediocre one. I know personally that if it devalues too far, I'll just go freelance or switch to Delta. They just don't have a hard product that competes with the big 3, much less the routes or infrastructure. Really liking this OW alliance joining less and less as time goes on.
Yeah, I suspect AS is looking at adding spend reqs to their FF program and may move to a revenue-based mileage program too - otherwise, AA's own members would switch and earn with AS.

Originally Posted by rune87
've been running the Diamond Challenge from Delta, and even in a Pandemic, they are just so insanely elite heavy..
What kind of flights are you experiencing this on? To me, upgrades on DL (pre-COVID) were fairly easy to score on non-hub routes but impossible on something like SEA-DTW or SEA-ATL.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Alaska 75k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
So.....with this new tier, does that mean us million milers now get G75K for life or stay at what appears to be now, the lowly MVP Gold?
Great question!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Lucky from OMAAT seems to think AS wants neutral elite reciprocity, meaning EXP will be ABOVE 75k for upgrades on AS metal

https://onemileatatime.com/alaska-ai...an-100k-elite/
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ab2013
Yeah, I suspect AS is looking at adding spend reqs to their FF program and may move to a revenue-based mileage program too - otherwise, AA's own members would switch and earn with AS.
I just don't think they can afford to do that. DL has such a strong presence in SEA already, and would instantly become a more attractive option for many of AS' elites if they did this. I could be wrong though. Time will tell...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ab2013

What kind of flights are you experiencing this on? To me, upgrades on DL (pre-COVID) were fairly easy to score on non-hub routes but impossible on something like SEA-DTW or SEA-ATL.
Hub routes. I've taken to just doing quick runs on the cheapest tickets I can find now and upgrades are better.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:53 am

I'd say my biggest question is where do AA elites fall into the stack with AS elites for upgrades on AS metal? If as the elite tiers stand today, 75k's are treated equal with EXP's that's insane and I'll probably switch back to Delta with no hesitation. If 75k's are higher up the list today but in 2023, they are below EXP's and this new 100k status tier, I'd probably have to seriously consider switching back. AS lured me from Delta a year ago but it didn't really have anything to do with their mileage plan, it had to do with the cabin crews but mostly, how often I was upgraded as a 75k. If the upgrades disappear, I might as well go back to DL where my upgrade percentages were awful as a plat but at least the cabins weren't shrinking and the management going against customer complaints ala AA.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: AS, WN, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Love it. Can't wait to mileage run again. FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL is so cheap if those 30/40% promo codes come back. I'm so down to fly every other weekend to get this 100k status.
Really glad I'm not the only crazy person to regularly do this routing- love the DCA-SEA-PHX-SEA-DCA run.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
We need to edit the title, this is no longer speculation. See the email from Andrew Harrison sent to 75ks this morning, it confirms the 100k tier.

Welp, 75k was nice while it lasted. Time to start losing out on upgrades and maybe time to switch to UA?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by GabeDCA
Really glad I'm not the only crazy person to regularly do this routing- love the DCA-SEA-PHX-SEA-DCA run.
I do SAN - SEA - FLL myself
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Please, please, for God sake, share your thoughts, questions, concerns with AS. It's still very early and maybe our input can change some things.

Alaska listens, Twitter, or post.

I do feel that AS will be going revenue based as well.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
Agreed for leisure flyers like us. I can only hope that AS does not add a minimum spend.
While I don't think they will (or, hope they'll refrain), it isn't a great stretch if they did. Assuming no devaluation to the mileage program, even with some revenue requirement less than AA's, it's still a better value proposition, especially considering all of the bonuses based on actual miles flown.

Fact is that AS only needs to be marginally better than their peers, not leaps and bounds better, which they have been. They operate in an oligopoly environment with a relative scarcity of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.