Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Fredd
OTOH IHG already makes use of it.
and Marriott
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: Yes
New idea.. 100k benefit: chocolate bar of any flavor, whether seated in F/E.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I'll be curious to see what the new naming schema is for the new level, and if the other levels of MVP are renamed in concert.
Clearly, the current MVPs should be the Chum, and the new 100Ks should the Chinook. As to the other tiers, I will leave it to others for the food fight.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Ideas for 100K benefit

-Complimentary fruit and cheese when seated in Y
-Crossover elite benefit on Sonesta and/or Redlion (sonesta is up and coming hotel chain, marriott & hilton have exclusivity to other carriers so exclusivity wont be for AS)
-50% discount to AS lounge (and AA via AS membership)
-up to 6 day advance on comp upgrade processing
-two space available complimentary upgrade (any fare)

Jiburi
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by jiburi
-Crossover elite benefit on Sonesta and/or Redlion (sonesta is up and coming hotel chain, marriott & hilton have exclusivity to other carriers so exclusivity wont be for AS)

Jiburi
I don’t see why it couldn’t be a 100% discount, as DL offers that to DL members.

Maybe they can introduce choice benefits like the legacies do along those lines. Maybe another 50k bonus miles as one of the options in addition to the ones above
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Clearly, the current MVPs should be the Chum, and the new 100Ks should the Chinook. As to the other tiers, I will leave it to others for the food fight.
I think for AS MMers MVPG should be "sock......eye!"

James
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I don’t see why it couldn’t be a 100% discount, as DL offers that to DL members.

Maybe they can introduce choice benefits like the legacies do along those lines. Maybe another 50k bonus miles as one of the options in addition to the ones above
DL’s lounge benefit is a choice, and access is limited in conjunction with Delta flight segment. AS lounge benefit has no AS flight segment requirement unless accessing AA lounge. It becomes expensive for AS as it would need to pay AA for our access, thus I said 50%. DL owns and operate all skyclub and compensated as it is in conjunction with DL flight.

Jiburi
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:10 pm

Small Fry for Mileage Plan Members with no status?

Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus
In what world is 20 segments VERY high?
When currently they require 6 segments for MVP 75K, I think 20 is VERY high...
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
If they offer free cheese and fruit plates to MVP Gold 100Ks, I'll consider it!!!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seacarl
In the meantime the process seems to be that when a single seat becomes available, the highest status in a single reservation gets it, and people with two pax in a PNR get skipped not matter how high their status. If your partner is at least MVPG, I would always just purchase in two separate reservations and live with the occasional single upgrade.
The risk with that is the MVPG will be behind all 75Ks on all non-Saver fares including N or W awards and behind all MVPGs on higher fare classes.

You also can't do that if you are using a companion certificate. My partner, MVPG, and I, 75K, just completed 5 segments on a companion certificate. PHX-SEA-FLL-SFO-PDX-PHX and upgraded on all segments. We were upgraded on 4 segments from ~ T-114 to T-72 as a 75K with 1 companion. The FLL-SFO segment showed 15/16 occupied at OLCI and I confirmed on EF and it showed all 16 occupied with 1C blocked on the A321. We were #1 & #2 on the upgrade waitlist. With surnames starting with W & J I certainly don't understand the notion of the waitlist being "mostly alphabetical." That doesn't make any sense to me from all of my flying on AS. When we arrived at the airport we checked a bag. Only then did I realize that we had been upgraded. I know it happened sometime between OLCI & Gate control because our names were removed from the waitlist. The person who was #3 was then #1.

While I don't know what the policy is or even if there is one, AS has split a PNR many times for me to take the last F seat available and have even done so on a companion certificate. Some on request and some proactively by the agent.

James
NYC Flyer and anteater like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
They could start by making the existing Upgrade certificates actually usable. The way they are now I have not been able to use them even ONCE in 4 years of MVPG.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Excellent idea! They should take a very Alaska take on the names. I think that pretty much lines up with the desirability of each species.

Chum - No Status 🤣
Pink - 25K (or Humpy?)
Coho - 50K (or Silver?)
Sockeye - 75K (or Red?)
Chinook - 100K (or King?)

You're welcome.
be_rettSEA and anteater like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:41 am

Hi -

What i would like to see is the ability for MVPG 100k to convert two GGUs into one (confirmable at booking) one-way systemwide UG on any OW carrier, or at least AS/AA. This would accomplish several things:

1) Give real value to GGUs and therefore going for 100K on AS. Put the minimum # of AS segments high enough to help defray any internal costs of using the instrument on other OW carriers.

2) It solves the problem of many people that can't find use for a GGU now.

3) It aligns with what AA does with EXP.

4) It will take some of the sting out of reduced upgrades due to increasing competition from AA elites.

5) It creates a desirable option not diluted by cc spend or people flying primarily OW carriers.

5) By making it Y --> PE, PE --> J and J --> F, accepting carrier will still get significant revenue. If necessary to make it work, make the lowest fare bucket in each cabin ineligible (similar to what GGUs do now). Or, make them available on a stand-by basis (like U class waitlist is now all MVPGs). starting at 3 days before departure on any fare.

6) I know in the case of TPAC flying (most of my international flights), Y is around $400-$600; PE is around $800-$1200, J is around $1500-$2500 (depending on carrier and time of year). It would provide a real discount for 100K members while giving better $$ to a OW airline than a RDM redemption ticket.

7) It is similar to what DL does with its Choice program.

If they could swing this, I believe it would truly be a game-changer.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jan 13, 2021 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I think a reasonable benefit would be making the Fruit & Cheese Platter complimentary to MVPG100Ks when traveling in PC or Main. Perhaps even for 75Ks as well, and if not the F&C, at least a snack box for them. This is what UA does for 1Ks I believe... not sure about AA or DL.

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Jan 13, 2021 at 11:00 am Reason: To mollify the grammar police

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.