Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
And in thinking more about this, it seems like terrible optics this year, especially towards a vast majority of 75ks that land between 75 and 99k. I would guess that's a very large %, one would think.

(full disclosure, one of which I am)
same here, I’d be pissed. Especially cause as we already admitted in this thread, probably 99% of people who hit this 100K tier would have done so primarily on non-AS metal, unlike those of us who qualify for 75k on only AS metal
BW Flyer, 95037, buschoi and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to wager that if it's introduced it won't be effective until the 2022/2023 qualification years. To introduce it after the year has started and during a travel restricted pandemic is exceptionally tone deaf.
davistev, ftv, buschoi and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:16 pm

Love it. Can't wait to mileage run again. FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL is so cheap if those 30/40% promo codes come back. I'm so down to fly every other weekend to get this 100k status.
Tack likes this.

Last edited by AndyKehn; Jan 10, 2021 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
If the logic of MVPG 100k is to match EP then MVPG 75k would roughly match Plat Pro which is still OWE, hope that gives y'all some assurance.

Maybe renaming could proceed as follows MVP Silver, MVP Silver 50K, MVP Gold, MVP Gold 100K.
​​​​
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Love it. Can't wait to mileage run again. FLL-SEA-PHX-FLL is so cheap if those 30/40% promo codes come back. I'm so down to fly every other weekend to get this 100k status.
I don't think you are alone, but sometimes it's hard to tell since we (or at least I) tend to live in a "FlyerTalk bubble". A lot of people started 2021 off with a healthy EQM balance. What does AS have to lose by offering them a higher target? Other than the "bad optics", which I would imagine comes with a negligible impact on the bottom line.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
same here, I’d be pissed. Especially cause as we already admitted in this thread, probably 99% of people who hit this 100K tier would have done so primarily on non-AS metal, unlike those of us who qualify for 75k on only AS metal
They could put in a 12-24 segment requirement for all we know. I hope it's not 8 segments, that'd be too low.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:01 pm

I'll believe it when I see it, and then I'll admit I'm wrong. With a collapse in business travel that will last well beyond this year, what's the point? I would be shocked if AAG is able to maintain current numbers within their elite strata, even with eqm head starts, double eqms for part or all of the year, and almost-weekly % off promotions. I'm sure it makes a few around here pretty excited, but 100K seems pretty detached from reality for this year. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
If AS is contemplating making changes to their MP program, I hope that they aren't considering adding spend reqs ("EQDs") - not sure if AA is going to pressure them on this now that AS is (or will be) a member of OneWorld.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:29 pm

DELETE

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Jan 10, 2021 at 7:54 pm Reason: Heresy deleted
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Love it. Can't wait to mileage run again. FLL-SEA-PHX-SEA-FLL is so cheap if those 30/40% promo codes come back. I'm so down to fly every other weekend to get this 100k status.
The potential problem with that would be if Alaska throws in a revenue requirement. AA, at the 100K tier, requires $12,000 in spend. Would you be able to make that goal on 100,000 miles of mileage runs? They could make the 100K tier so exclusive that it could leave leisure travelers and mileage runners out of it and be targeted at business travelers with a certain amount of spending. The spending requirement is what drove me from AA to Alaska over 3 years ago. I might have met half the required spend with a lot of international travel, but no way was I getting to $12,000 as a leisure traveler.

I recall we had some discussion last year about systemwide upgrades good on partners that was mentioned by an Alaska official in a press statement, which might be coming a few months after Alaska joins One World. Alaska hasn't really said much about them, so the door is open as to how many would be accrued, what fare classes and partners they'd be good on, and how much inventory Alaska would have access to. Also, would this be a product that other One World partners would also offer as part of a new partner upgrade scheme (say an AA systemwide upgrade good on Qantas or Cathay, something you don't currently have)? If Alaska was to offer a 100K tier, this would be the biggest benefit I could use if the qualifications for that tier were still within reach. I used over 100 systemwide upgrades in my 17 years at AA, primarily on routes to Europe, Asia and Australia (had 8 a year to start and 4 when I left as they reduced the benefit). Probably tens of thousands of dollars of benefits in play.
Fredd likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
NOOOO Get out of here with that talk!
Don't give them any ideas--especially now that UA has gone entirely revenue-based. That would severely diminish this program's value
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
Don't give them any ideas--especially now that UA has gone entirely revenue-based. That would severely diminish this program's value
Yikes, I misread the other post. I certainly DO NOT want a revenue-based program.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Like I said before, there is absolutely nothing that AS can offer that would make it competitive with DL diamond AA exp or UA 1k.

I guess they could offer another hefty RDM bonus as a pseudo to upgrade vouchers the legacies offer.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Unfortunately Alaska Airlines has a few problems implementing 100K;

1. the 100% miles flown = earnt, and no revenue requirement, means they are attracting low-value frequent fliers (which many of us at FT are, whether you have the self-awareness to admit it or not) -- that are high maintenance and low profit, flying mostly X/R/T fare bookings;
2. Alaska has smaller corporate contracts and business travel, and this market is hit pretty hard;
3. the frequent, captive customers are mostly on the ANC-SEA-PDX triangle and intra-California market, which are low mileage sectors

The only people going to hit Alaska 100K are the people you don't want in your business, i.e., the people on this forum
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Like I said before, there is absolutely nothing that AS can offer that would make it competitive with DL diamond AA exp or UA 1k.
I'd take a transfer from the C to N gates in a Porsche

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.