Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Discussion the New MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The recent posts in this thread have provided me with hearty chuckles as I sip my coffee, but as one of those countless members that has been on the receiving end of his assistance, I am very appreciative of his help and contributions to this forum.
And now we return to our regularly scheduled spekyulashens. As per usual, some spekyulashens come from reliable or quasi-reliable sources, and some come from the vapors coming from the dog poo.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I sure hope Alaska announces their 100K plan soon. It's that time of year to plan all remaining travel through the end of the year and the lack of info (when Alaska has had all year to develop it) is quite disappointing.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I wonder for those of us that have over 100K which rolled over from 2020 and into 2021, when they announce this for 2022 we will be getting it?
Guate87 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:32 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
As much as die-hard FT nerds would love a 100K tier to be announced ASAP, Alaska has to also deal with potential blowback from the optics of encouraging/stimulating discretionary travel in a pandemic and grounded business travelers who may not partake, and just be annoyed. Especially as when other travel brands are giving loyalty extensions to their elites, this would be virtually doing the opposite.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I sure hope Alaska announces their 100K plan soon.
Last night, a MileagePlan phone rep told me to "be on the lookout for an email from us announcing the new 100K tier." She couldn't say when or what benefits would be offered.

I had called about renewing my Boardroom membership and did not ask about 100K.

Going forward, this means more of us will need to book with our AS # when flying SQ, LY, BA, etc. If 100K gives us more benefits with partner airlines, I will be happy.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
As much as die-hard FT nerds would love a 100K tier to be announced ASAP, Alaska has to also deal with potential blowback from the optics of encouraging/stimulating discretionary travel in a pandemic and grounded business travelers who may not partake, and just be annoyed. Especially as when other travel brands are giving loyalty extensions to their elites, this would be virtually doing the opposite.
Yeah this does seem the biggest problem. They're gonna want you to fly more at a time when nobody is flying. I think it would probably make sense to roll over from 2020, so you're giving the status to people who you know are already loyal to your brand. But I agree the blowback might be bad, and people might leave and join the AA program. It will be interesting to see what they do. I think this is a predicament because now that AS is in OW, and it's still distanced based, attaining 75K is too easy.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by keitherson
, Alaska has to also deal with potential blowback from the optics of encouraging/stimulating discretionary travel in a pandemic and grounded business travelers who may not partake, and just be annoyed.
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
They're gonna want you to fly more at a time when nobody is flying.
LOL, funny.

Folks need to get out of the basement and actually get on an airplane. Every one I'm on domestic and international, every week, every month, are JAM PACKED. Been that way since spring.

Should rename the forum basement talk
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
LOL, funny.

Folks need to get out of the basement and actually get on an airplane. Every one I'm on domestic and international, every week, every month, are JAM PACKED. Been that way since spring.

Should rename the forum basement talk
You’re preaching to the choir. I’m headed on a long international trip tomorrow after waiting 20 months. Im finally going to be back in my happy place
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I respectfully disagree. I don't think there will be bad blowback. Some former 75ks who have been traveling less might leave, but where would they go?

I think people know planes are full and that people are traveling again. The pandemic-era social stigma against travel has worn off, even if the pandemic is still extant.
NWplatinum, SOCguy and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I wonder if they’ll announce 100K with lounge membership included on 10/1, the day after we’ve all renewed to lock in the lower price.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I wonder if they’ll announce 100K with lounge membership included on 10/1, the day after we’ve all renewed to lock in the lower price.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of a panoply of benefit choices.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Guate87
I am more of a "Show me" type, not a wide-eyed believer in everything written on the Internet, so, I called AS and...

Gold 75K Mileageplan and Reservations supervisors just told me any possible plan in development to create a new tier would require OW and partner vetting, especially AA. This takes time.
Even after AS chose to join OW, it took months for OW to officially acknowledge Emerald status for Gold 75K, then more months for us to receive complimentary upgrades to F on AA without having to beg a GA.
Originally Posted by Guate87
Last night, a MileagePlan phone rep told me to "be on the lookout for an email from us announcing the new 100K tier." She couldn't say when or what benefits would be offered.

I had called about renewing my Boardroom membership and did not ask about 100K.

Going forward, this means more of us will need to book with our AS # when flying SQ, LY, BA, etc. If 100K gives us more benefits with partner airlines, I will be happy.
Time seems to have flown here, such a change in information from the call agents without the end user being concerned!

As for OW benefits, I would expect similar to current 75K benefits as OW Emerald is the top tier already. As for AA benefits.. 🙌🏻.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
I'd expect the email very soon...

But while you're waiting, website has been updated. Kind of underwhelming if you ask me. But a couple other nuggets in there as well.

Last edited by SOCguy; Sep 16, 2021 at 10:52 am Reason: website updated with info
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Since this new tier is now documented on the AS website, I created a new thread to discuss the announced details. I also moved a few pots to that thread.

MVP Gold 100K Tier (2022) - Features and Benefits - FlyerTalk Forums

This thread will stay open until the formal announcement.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Sep 16, 2021 at 11:46 am Reason: Add sentence.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Pretty disappointing IMO.

- 25% bonus increase. (hundreds of thousands of miles accumulated getting to status, so another bonus isn't really exciting)
- "higher waitlist priority" (i.e. no change)
- same number of (useless) GGUs
- Two AA International upgrades +1
- Complimentary beverage AND snack in main cabin (not very reassuring for upgrades)
- Same number of lounge passes

Would have been nice to see additional lounge passes, and maybe upgrade to premium from X on solo flights. It would also have been nice to see some type of partnership with Hyatt/Mariott/Hilton/Avis/Hertz for comp status like other airlines do.

That said, one thing that would really tick me off is if they start to status match to 100k. When everyone is top tier, status becomes useless.
jona970318 and hyedmd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.