Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by chrisny2
That's only if the upgrade is booked into class "C". Usually those aa.com advance "move to first" offers are actually upfares that book into J or I (but sometimes C).

See, for example, this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33801443-post396.html
Generally speaking (nothing is absolute, but I've had both experiences), upgrades through the AA app weeks or months before the flight book into I (or perhaps J, but it's always been I for me), and "day-of-flight" upgrade offers only book into C.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:54 pm

Have expiring AMEX credit -- will Alaska Airlines let my sister pay for food with my AMEX under my name? Would she need to carry it on the flight? (Not a problem if yes.)
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Have expiring AMEX credit -- will Alaska Airlines let my sister pay for food with my AMEX under my name? Would she need to carry it on the flight? (Not a problem if yes.)
She’d need to have the card. I’ve never had an FA look at the details on the card.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
She’d need to have the card. I’ve never had an FA look at the details on the card.
Actually, I think she could add it online as her payment method for a pre-order and they'd just charge the card on file when they bring it to her on the plane. Or have the physical card and hand it to the FAs at that time.. Either way don't think the name would make a difference.
godlovesugly and samosa like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: B6, AA, AS
50 people at DCA baggage office last night after AS 6 (A21N) from LAX. No bags. Does this occur often?

Is the baggage guarantee 20 minutes, hours, or days?
They said, at the time, all those missing bags are still in LAX
If anything, weight would be restricted westbound.
Do two bags for one pax qualify for 5k miles?

They must have had a freight deal $$$$$ they could resist? ? ?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DrewBr
50 people at DCA baggage office last night after AS 6 (A21N) from LAX. No bags. Does this occur often?
I’d say probably not, Alaska Airlines tends to be pretty good with baggage in my opinion. At the same time if I were you I’d call complain and try to get A better compensation. Most people get 2500 miles for bags that are delayed just a few minutes, but because yours are truly either lost or delayed I’d try to get a lot bigger of a compensation. You could probably get them to refund you for any purchases such as clothing, If you didn’t have your bag with you.

They must have had a freight deal $$$$$ they could resist? ? ?
lolololololol
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:57 am

MVPG and was wanting to cancel a flight I book with a credit card. (now post 24hours) Is my only option to get a flight credit or should it be refunded back to original form of payment? I THOUGHT it would go back to credit card, but that isn't showing as an option. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by shand32783; Dec 22, 2021 at 12:08 pm Reason: Added info
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by shand32783
MVPG and was wanting to cancel a flight I book with a credit card. (now post 24hours) Is my only option to get a flight credit or should it be refunded back to original form of payment? I THOUGHT it would go back to credit card, but that isn't showing as an option. Thanks for your help.
Unless you purchased a fully refundable fare (or the flight has been cancelled/changed > 1 hr), you're limited to credit w/ Alaska.
shand32783 and Bellerina like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Unless you purchased a fully refundable fare (or the flight has been cancelled/changed > 1 hr), you're limited to credit w/ Alaska.
Thanks, I'll remember that for next time as I had a large credit already...Now it'll be bigger. =)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rain Gonen
..... If you didn’t have your bag with you.....
DCA is home at least, so not tragic or anything.
Still no word, email, online update, etc.
I would assume they would fly them on AS 6, same flight they failed to make, then call us or deliver them?
Would they use other airlines for misplaced bags?
Odd not a word yet.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:48 pm

I would assume they would fly them on AS 6, same flight they failed to make, then call us or deliver them?
Odd not a word yet.
Have never seen that happen after dozens of LAX/DCA flights so definitely not common. I would assume they would use the same daily flight from LAX to deliver them as well, but may not be feasible to get everyone's on-board the next day given flight loads/cargo needs, etc. My guess is that it's unlikely they'd pass them off to other airlines for delivery, but could see them maybe distributing some to route through PDX/SEA/SFO flights, or perhaps route some via IAD. Unless you have something you urgently need in your bag, I'd make them deliver it to you (or pay for costs associated w/ going back to DCA to pick it up).
DrewBr and Bellerina like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Odd not a word yet.
In August I flew PHX-SEA-YVR. Two bags were checked but only one arrived in YVR. Arriving in Canada without your bags is a Royal PITA. You need to fill out a Customs declaration describing all the contents of your bag & sign an authorization allowing Customs to open & inspect the bag.

SEA-YVR was once daily at the time. We continued onto YLW. The bag was confirmed to still be in SEA. It didn't make the flight the next day either but did two days later. AS had AC fly it to YLW & AC Baggage Services delivered to my home on the third day. The following day, AS Baggage Services called to confirm I had received it and closed the file.

As far as the BSG goes, Zero, Zilch, Nada! No follow up from Customer Care.

James
DrewBr and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
In August I flew PHX-SEA-YVR. Two bags were checked but only one arrived in YVR. Arriving in Canada without your bags is a Royal PITA. You need to fill out a Customs declaration describing all the contents of your bag & sign an authorization allowing Customs to open & inspect the bag.

SEA-YVR was once daily at the time. We continued onto YLW. The bag was confirmed to still be in SEA. It didn't make the flight the next day either but did two days later. AS had AC fly it to YLW & AC Baggage Services delivered to my home on the third day. The following day, AS Baggage Services called to confirm I had received it and closed the file.

As far as the BSG goes, Zero, Zilch, Nada! No follow up from Customer Care.

James
Unfortunately for us Canadians, the BSG doesn’t apply to flights to Canada.
  • Baggage service guarantee is valid on flights operated by Alaska Airlines (flights 0001- 1999), Horizon Air (flights 2000 - 2999), and SkyWest (flights 3300 - 3499), with the exception of international flights requiring customs clearance, and flights between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Two bags were checked but only one arrived
Another data point fwiw
Failed to mention, 3 pax, 3 bags checked at same time in LAX, 2 pnrs, linked. 2 bags on one pnr no arrival. Odd. New customers to AS in paid first. Wife not thrilled, but as mentioned, they are home safe, and it's only stuff. 16 y/o teen daughter whole nother story.

Last edited by DrewBr; Dec 22, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Unfortunately for us Canadians, the BSG doesn’t apply to flights to Canada.
  • Baggage service guarantee is valid on flights operated by Alaska Airlines (flights 0001- 1999), Horizon Air (flights 2000 - 2999), and SkyWest (flights 3300 - 3499), with the exception of international flights requiring customs clearance, and flights between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor.
Thanks for the datapoint. I didn't know international was excluded. Although, if the bag isn't loaded for two days, being held up in customs clearance really isn't the issue. AS used to be pretty proactive in service recovery. With joining oneworld, that seems to be waning from multiple, less than stellar, experiences I have had this year. Perhaps AA is rubbing off on them.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.