Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
That depends entirely on how you define "premium passengers". Perhaps some want what AS offers (almost guaranteed seat blocking in F, accompanied by a cheese plate/wraps with beer/wine) or what AA offers (no seat blocking, but snacks and full meals on longer routes with beer/wine/liquor) vs. a blocked seat and a bottle of water w/ snack mix.
I agree....it's all about personal preference...almost every other airline except DL will have abandoned seat blocking by January so in a way, DL has differentiated itself with this feature just like WN does with it's free baggage policy....if you must have free baggage, you fly WN....if you must have guaranteed seat blocking to feel safe, you fly DL. For me personally, lack of seat blocking isn't a deal breaker....although I'm a big fan of traditional, mileage-based frequent flyer programs, inflight meals/beverages/chocolate chip cookies, clearing the upgrade list into the F cabin, and an airline that is financially sustainable.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS gold
I am a million miler with AS, and am open to the end of seat blocking starting January 7, as long as it is accompanied by a simultaneous opening of
GGU seats, which are currently blocked on almost all flights through end of schedule. I would also appreciate some news soon about
how many miles will be required to book the various classes on One World partners in April. I will be flying Alaska more in the next few months if I can be
assured that those miles will not face a significant devaluation in April.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by metallo
This is the sort of thing that prevents AS from ever getting into serious contention as an airline that can properly cater to premium passengers. There are people who are willing to pay to ensure the F seat next to them is empty... they fly DL.
Based on this statement, DL is the only airline that knows how to cater to Premium passengers. Tell that to AA and UA's HVC's. In fact, tell that to a lot of DL's HVC's. It's all a matter of perspective. If having an empty seat next to you is important than DL may be who you have to fly beginning in Jan. Also, DL isn't necessarily getting a premium for this - people aren't "willing to pay" to ensure the F seat next to them is empty - those that value this are willing to fly DL. The prices aren't inflated to reflect that inability to sell every seat. Typically speaking, DL isn't commanding a premium for having that seat open.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Based on this statement, DL is the only airline that knows how to cater to Premium passengers.
I didn't mean that you have to block seats to cater to premium passengers... the airline should simply deliver what is advertised. For the most part, AA has been offering a full bar drink service, consistent with what is advertised on their website. DL advertises seat blocking, and their IT and gate agents seem to ensure it happens properly.

AS supposedly offers seat blocking, but there are all sorts of exceptions, like if a flight is cancelled and they have to re-accommodate passengers, if someone just happens to select the seat next to you and the IT doesn't prevent it, etc. AS seems to have more difficulty consistently delivering what they're trying to advertise (and this is just one example of many... don't get me started on clearing the upgrade list in the correct order).
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: Yes
I've got a new one.. looking for any thoughts. I'm a 75K.

I booked myself at T-23 on a transcon and the plane was nearly empty (15 pax). Seat Map preview showed PC only had 3 pax, FC had 5 pax, and 7 pax in Y. At checkout the seat map fails to load and I proceed to checkout. Post checkout I attempt to assign myself a seat and most of the seats are X out: exception being the aforementioned 15 assigned seats. There were only 2 unassigned seats in PC and numerous saver seats in Y.

I was #1 of 2 on the upgrade list at that time. I had no seat assigned and #2 was in Row 8. After 10 minutes, #2 was upgraded.

I called Reservations to inquire if it was a load balance or perhaps seat map issue, and the response I got was that the flight was already under airport control so they couldn't change my seat. They did not know why nearly the entire plane was showing as blocked.

First time I've seen this. Ideas?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:15 pm

Just one opinion here: In deciding between DL and AS, adjacent seat blocking is definitely the deciding factor. I'm 75K on AS and dirt on DL (although I will challenge). I'm not going to buy two seats on AS to insure an empty seat next to me if DL gives it to me for buying one. Status means nothing to me until a vaccine. YMMV.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Just one opinion here: In deciding between DL and AS, adjacent seat blocking is definitely the deciding factor. I'm 75K on AS and dirt on DL (although I will challenge). I'm not going to buy two seats on AS to insure an empty seat next to me if DL gives it to me for buying one. Status means nothing to me until a vaccine. YMMV.
Will you not fly if DL discontinues seat-blocking before a vaccine is readily available and proven?

James
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Will you not fly if DL discontinues seat-blocking before a vaccine is readily available and proven?

James
Fair question. Like a lot of things now, long-range planning is out the window. I only know as long as there's this difference between AS and DL (from January 7th to March 30th), I'll choose DL.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Fair question. Like a lot of things now, long-range planning is out the window. I only know as long as there's this difference between AS and DL (from January 7th to March 30th), I'll choose DL.
Having been flying Delta for a status challenge right now...I'm here to tell you, you are in for a world of disappointment. I've watched Delta fill middle seats, the service is atrocious, and....they really aren't cleaning those planes as well as they say. It's all marketing PR, not really making you safer. The person behind you sneezes, you are still getting particles. I really wish folks would truly think instead of acting emotionally. Plane loads are gonna be super low through the spring regardless. No one is flying.
AS Flyer and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:07 am

"I really wish folks would truly think instead of acting emotionally." I'll try not to match your condescending comments. We must each do what we believe to be best. Research shows viral load is the critical metric in determining transmission, and that viral loads are higher the closer one is to the source - an asymptomatic carrier who may be frequently taking their mask off to consume food and beverage. That's my unemotional thinking, and the basis for my comments (which I qualified with "Just one opinion here" and "YMMV").
Eastbay1K and ANC RED-EYE like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:19 am

"I really wish folks would truly think instead of acting emotionally." I'll try not to match your condescending comments. We must each do what we believe to be best. Research shows viral load is the critical metric in determining transmission, and that viral loads are higher the closer one is to the source - an asymptomatic carrier who may be frequently taking their mask off to consume food and beverage. That's my unemotional thinking, and the basis for my comments (which I qualified with "Just one opinion here" and "YMMV").
While I am glad that everyone is allowed to participate, we are sadly living in a post fact world where everyone’s opinions can be “truth”.

Personally, I will continue to give AS as much of my business as possible and if they end seat blocking I have the option of purchasing an adjacent seat.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rune87
... I've watched Delta fill middle seats ... Plane loads are gonna be super low ... No one is flying.
well, which is it? occupied middle seat doesn't exactly comport with low load factors (yes, I know that many FTers are ridiculously fond of anecdata)
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rune87
I've watched Delta fill middle seats, the service is atrocious, and....they really aren't cleaning those planes as well as they say. It's all marketing PR, not really making you safer.
I absolutely agree that it's all hype to make people feel safer. I did a quick mileage run yesterday, arrived at destination, was the last passenger off the plane (I always deplane last because of disability) and first onboard for the return home, and reality is that they turned that A321 in the time it took me to hobble to the adjacent restroom and return. When I got back aboard, there was even small brown paper bag (Burger King bag?) of trash on the seat across from me, left from the previous seat occupant. Maybe they just did their spray thingy? I don't know, but I seriously doubt that the level of cleaning performed was anywhere near what they tout in their endless safety messages.
AS Flyer and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by FloridaFlyers
I absolutely agree that it's all hype to make people feel safer. I did a quick mileage run yesterday, arrived at destination, was the last passenger off the plane (I always deplane last because of disability) and first onboard for the return home, and reality is that they turned that A321 in the time it took me to hobble to the adjacent restroom and return. When I got back aboard, there was even small brown paper bag (Burger King bag?) of trash on the seat across from me, left from the previous seat occupant. Maybe they just did their spray thingy? I don't know, but I seriously doubt that the level of cleaning performed was anywhere near what they tout in their endless safety messages.
Call Customer Care or write Alaska Listens. Every flight should undergo their Next Level Clean procedure.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
well, which is it? occupied middle seat doesn't exactly comport with low load factors (yes, I know that many FTers are ridiculously fond of anecdata)
One flight can go out loaded to the gills, the next flight out practically empty. Hence the one flight they may fill the middle seat, the next may be like flying private, but the overall load factors for an airline, route, etc are low, especially in Jan/Feb. At the end of the day it's all Russian Roulette. You take your chances and see what happens. As the research is rapidly showing, if you check off the high risk boxes, you prolly should be staying at home and not doing anything. If you are low risk, take the basic precautions, and realize that if you get it, its likely to be Flu-like symptoms. Blocking middle seats was never about "safety", short of less folks on a plane, slightly lower chance of bringing an infection on the plane. No different than the air recirc study saying plane air was safe. Once you read into the actual report, they clearly stated it did not take into effect real life movements like head turning, touching surfaces, etc. It's all marketing. If you are concerned about getting covid and dying, now is the time to stay home, have everything delivered to you, and find a good book series. Changing Airlines for "safety" is not going to alter your odds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.