Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Airlines schedule change options and refund policy
Schedule changes are defined in Alaska's Contract of Carriage Rule 1:

Schedule Change means:
  1. The cancellation of a scheduled flight where no Alaska flight of comparable routing is available within sixty (60) minutes of the original time of departure; or
  2. A change in the scheduled departure time of an Alaska flight which exceeds sixty (60) minutes; or
  3. A change in the routing of a scheduled Alaska flight which adds one (1) or more stops to the original itinerary; or
  4. A change in the routing of an Alaska scheduled flight that results in a scheduled arrival time more than sixty (60) minutes later than the original scheduled arrival time; or
  5. Any change in the arrival time of an Alaska flight that results in a misconnection to any flight shown in the same reservation and Ticket.
Note that IRROPS has separate definitions (as "Schedule Irregularity") and different options in Rule 8C.

Schedule Change options are in Rule 8D

D. Change in Schedule: Flight schedules are subject to change without notice, and the times shown on Alaska's published schedules, Tickets, timetable and advertising are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of Carriage. At times, without prior notice to Passengers, Alaska may need to substitute other aircraft and may change, add, or omit intermediate stops. Alaska cannot guarantee that Passengers will make Connections to other flights by Alaska or by other Carriers. In the event of flight Schedule Changes or service withdrawals, Alaska will attempt to notify affected Passengers as early as possible. Alaska will promptly provide Passengers the best available information regarding known delays, cancellations, misconnections and diversions, but Alaska is not liable for any misstatements or other errors or omissions in connection with providing such information. No employee, agent or representative of Alaska can bind Alaska legally by reason of any statements relating to flight status or other information.

When a ticketed, confirmed Passenger will be delayed because of a change in Alaska's schedule as defined in Rule 1 (Schedule Change), Alaska will arrange to:
  1. Transport the Passenger to his/her destination or next ticketed Stopover point on another Alaska flight on which space is available in the same or higher class of service than reflected on the Passenger's Ticket at no additional charge; or
  2. Refund according to Rule 17.
    Exception 1: When an Alaska Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all Alaska service between two cities, Alaska will reroute Passengers holding confirmed reservations on Alaska between such cities over the lines of one or more other Carriers at no additional cost to the Passenger.
    Exception 2: Change in schedule does not include Force Majeure Events.

Print Wikipost

Refunds on Flights Cancelled by Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Quick Question:

My flight with Alaska was cancelled and I was placed on a different flight(still Alaska but different flight number) that goes 40mins earlier. Alaska tells me I cannot get a credit card refund as, even though my flight was cancelled, I have been accommodated on a comparable flight with a time change of less than 1 hour. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Quick Question:

My flight with Alaska was cancelled and I was placed on a different flight(still Alaska but different flight number) that goes 40mins earlier. Alaska tells me I cannot get a credit card refund as, even though my flight was cancelled, I have been accommodated on a comparable flight with a time change of less than 1 hour. Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
I would expect not. When I called about a flight not yet changed, the agent suggested just waiting for a cancel/change and explicitly said "60 minutes or more." So, this would seem to be within the "owed a refund" change window. Maybe it will change more, though

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by brp
I would expect not. When I called about a flight not yet changed, the agent suggested just waiting for a cancel/change and explicitly said "60 minutes or more." So, this would seem to be within the "owed a refund" change window. Maybe it will change more, though

Cheers.
Agree.

I'd hold tight to see if the flight will cancel. It still might. What's the route/day?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by beckoa
Agree.

I'd hold tight to see if the flight will cancel. It still might. What's the route/day?
This is a good point, what is the flight? I have had several SEA-PDX shuttle flights “cancelled” but accommodated on the next flight within the hour..probably not considered significant for a refund. If a non stop goes to several stops or delays over 4 hours then yes, a refund should happen
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:05 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
I got hit with a schedule change. Original itin (in early May):

Original Schedule

Alaska 64
Juneau (JNU) 1:45 pm Seattle (SEA) 8:35 pm
Alaska 1798
Seattle (SEA) 9:15 pm Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 11:59 pm

New Schedule

Alaska 64
Juneau (JNU) 1:50 pm Seattle (SEA) 8:50 pm
Alaska 424
Seattle (SEA) 8:55 pm Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 11:40 pm
...making this an impossible connection. I have not accepted the change online yet. Due to the schedule reductions no same day itin is apparently available. Does this situation qualify for a refund to the original form of payment or just a credit for future travel?
To make things more complicated, I am based in Europe and I can't meet the entry and quarantine regulations anyways (and it doesn't make sense embark on this trip anyways). Would this help getting a refund approved?

Is there any way to get this sorted from Europe without calling in?

TIA,
cas_de
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by cas_de
I got hit with a schedule change. Original itin (in early May):

...making this an impossible connection. I have not accepted the change online yet. Due to the schedule reductions no same day itin is apparently available. Does this situation qualify for a refund to the original form of payment or just a credit for future travel?
To make things more complicated, I am based in Europe and I can't meet the entry and quarantine regulations anyways (and it doesn't make sense embark on this trip anyways). Would this help getting a refund approved?

Is there any way to get this sorted from Europe without calling in?

TIA,
cas_de
the changes are minimal, however you are right..that is a hard connection. You need to call in.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
the changes are minimal, however you are right..that is a hard connection. You need to call in.
No, it's a connection that is below MCT and can't be made, and the itinerary needs to be fixed; MCT at SEA isn't 5 minutes. The doors on the other plane would already be closed by the time OP's plane pulled up at the gate.

Agree that OP should call in though. Should be able to ask for a refund given that there's no same day itinerary. "Trip in vain" are the magic words to use here.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Agree.

Scroll to the bottom for international phone #'s:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/about-us/help-contact

Skype has worked for me in Italy, Greece, Australia and Japan as well.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:51 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Thanks all. I will try to give them a call to get this sorted out (refunded). What happens if I click on the "CONFIRM" button online? Does that eliminate the chances to get a refund, even if the new itin that is proposed contains an illegal connection / below MCT?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to a refund. The current schedule brings the connection below MCT and must be rebooked. You need not accept a rebooking and may therefore have a refund.

Do not accept anything. While it will not necessarily harm your ability to obtain a refund, it makes no sense to do so and will make the process immeasurably harder.

Because you need to be able to decline the reroute which AS will inevitably propose in order qualify for the refund, a call is likely in order and can save a lot of time later. Europe should not be an issue as Skype and most VOIP service calls to US toll-free numbers are toll-free as well.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
You are entitled to a refund. The current schedule brings the connection below MCT and must be rebooked. You need not accept a rebooking and may therefore have a refund.
A change that drops below the MCT is itself considered a schedule change and is eligible for a refund, not necessarily because the OP refuses a rebooking (although that is a valid option if the OP desired).

E. Any change in the arrival time of an Alaska flight that results in a misconnection to any flight shown in the same reservation and Ticket.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:16 am

So my trip (same-day return) is 3 days away. My return flight has been taken taken out of the reservation inventory since late last week, and the last time it flew was over a week ago. But they still haven't taken me off this flight.
Just really annoyed with AS that it's looking like they're going to drag this down to the wire.

Have another trip 3 weeks later, outbound on AS and return on DL. Been keeping an eye on that one.
DL cancelled my flight, rebooked me on a 1-stop itinerary (from nonstop), and notified me via email right away. That was last week. I called them and they refunded back to my card, no problem.
AS is of course holding out. This flight has not been bookable for a while now and has not been flown in a while.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
So my trip (same-day return) is 3 days away. My return flight has been taken taken out of the reservation inventory since late last week, and the last time it flew was over a week ago. But they still haven't taken me off this flight.
Just really annoyed with AS that it's looking like they're going to drag this down to the wire..
I've had several where we've not formally been taken off the flight, but looking on the app showed "Schedule Change...need to call." So, I looked at booking the itinerary at that point and had an idea of what the changes likely were. Called, and no problem getting refunds issued. 3 itineraries in the past few days.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Good point.For the dates in April, the SJC-OGG non-stop is cancelled every day I checked (and that's what I'd book), so that's more likely one that they would drop but, yeah, there is risk

Cheers.
Following up on this. Did change these. May 21 -> May 1 (SJC-OGG), May 25->May 4 (OGG-SJC->OGG-OAK). Picked flights around the same price to not generate Wallet funds or put in much cash on the change. Both changed substantially a day or so later. I figured that the smaller locations like SJC, OAK would go first, and the did. Refunds on the way.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by brp
I've had several where we've not formally been taken off the flight, but looking on the app showed "Schedule Change...need to call." So, I looked at booking the itinerary at that point and had an idea of what the changes likely were. Called, and no problem getting refunds issued. 3 itineraries in the past few days.
Today they finally did an official schedule change on my flight this Friday. I called and they took care of me, refund to original form of payment.
While we were at it, I brought up with the AS phone rep about my other pending flight. She actually took care of that one, as well.

So in the end I was pleased. Only took ~10min to talk to the rep, she told me I didn't have to explain the reasons, and processed the refunds for both flights including PC upgrade fees.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.