Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Airlines schedule change options and refund policy
Schedule changes are defined in Alaska's Contract of Carriage Rule 1:

Schedule Change means:
  1. The cancellation of a scheduled flight where no Alaska flight of comparable routing is available within sixty (60) minutes of the original time of departure; or
  2. A change in the scheduled departure time of an Alaska flight which exceeds sixty (60) minutes; or
  3. A change in the routing of a scheduled Alaska flight which adds one (1) or more stops to the original itinerary; or
  4. A change in the routing of an Alaska scheduled flight that results in a scheduled arrival time more than sixty (60) minutes later than the original scheduled arrival time; or
  5. Any change in the arrival time of an Alaska flight that results in a misconnection to any flight shown in the same reservation and Ticket.
Note that IRROPS has separate definitions (as "Schedule Irregularity") and different options in Rule 8C.

Schedule Change options are in Rule 8D

D. Change in Schedule: Flight schedules are subject to change without notice, and the times shown on Alaska's published schedules, Tickets, timetable and advertising are not guaranteed and form no part of this Contract of Carriage. At times, without prior notice to Passengers, Alaska may need to substitute other aircraft and may change, add, or omit intermediate stops. Alaska cannot guarantee that Passengers will make Connections to other flights by Alaska or by other Carriers. In the event of flight Schedule Changes or service withdrawals, Alaska will attempt to notify affected Passengers as early as possible. Alaska will promptly provide Passengers the best available information regarding known delays, cancellations, misconnections and diversions, but Alaska is not liable for any misstatements or other errors or omissions in connection with providing such information. No employee, agent or representative of Alaska can bind Alaska legally by reason of any statements relating to flight status or other information.

When a ticketed, confirmed Passenger will be delayed because of a change in Alaska's schedule as defined in Rule 1 (Schedule Change), Alaska will arrange to:
  1. Transport the Passenger to his/her destination or next ticketed Stopover point on another Alaska flight on which space is available in the same or higher class of service than reflected on the Passenger's Ticket at no additional charge; or
  2. Refund according to Rule 17.
    Exception 1: When an Alaska Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all Alaska service between two cities, Alaska will reroute Passengers holding confirmed reservations on Alaska between such cities over the lines of one or more other Carriers at no additional cost to the Passenger.
    Exception 2: Change in schedule does not include Force Majeure Events.

Print Wikipost

Refunds on Flights Cancelled by Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Refunds on Flights Cancelled by Alaska

Does anyone have any recent experience on how Alaska is handling refunds on flights cancelled by Alaska? I have a flight to Hawaii in April that is obviously cancelled as all flights to that destination in that time period have been pulled from the schedule. I know they are hoping I will take the easy way out and cancel first for a credit, but I would prefer not to do that.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If AS has cancelled the flight, then you are due a full refund.

However, the fact that AS is not selling does not mean that it has cancelled yet.

Thus, call AS and ask whether the flight is operating. If it is cancelled, as for your refund. Let the phone agent try to peddle a credit, decline it and ask for a refund and you should be set. If the flight is not yet cancelled, do not cancel it yourself. Wait until the last minute. If by some chance AS operates the flight, you are then stuck with its Covid-19 policy.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS is still running daily SEA-HNL and LAX-HNL flights in April. PDX-HNL is cancelled for first half of April (until April 16th) and not simply zeroed out, so you shouldn't have an issue with getting a refund if you are on a PDX-HNL flight before the 16th.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75K
The flight is actually PDX-KOA and has been pulled from the schedule if you try to book a flight. I just called reservations and was told the flight had not been cancelled yet. Therefore it was only eligible for a refund. I will just need to be patient.
LIH Prem and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a common practice across many carriers. Don't presume that a flight is cancelled because a carrier is not selling it. It usually means that it may be either on the chopping block or rescheduling is coming.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
It seems that AS has just zero'd out availability on a number of their Hawaii flights but have not actually cancelled them. They are clearly playing games to avoid having to give refunds and they are pushing people to take vouchers instead. I also have flights in April which are shadow cancelled. I'll play chicken along with them and wait up until the day of my flight's departure to wait for them to cancel so I can get my full refund.

Pretty slimy tactic they're taking here.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mikelat
It seems that AS has just zero'd out availability on a number of their Hawaii flights but have not actually cancelled them. They are clearly playing games to avoid having to give refunds and they are pushing people to take vouchers instead. I also have flights in April which are shadow cancelled. I'll play chicken along with them and wait up until the day of my flight's departure to wait for them to cancel so I can get my full refund.

Pretty slimy tactic they're taking here.
Schedule changes don't happen until Saturday night or Sunday morning. If they are to cancel those flights from the schedule, that's when it will happen. Them zeroing out inventory is a sign that will happen. Nothing slimy about this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Schedule changes don't happen until Saturday night or Sunday morning. If they are to cancel those flights from the schedule, that's when it will happen. Them zeroing out inventory is a sign that will happen. Nothing slimy about this.
Agree.

And things are changing hour by hour.

Not sayin' it will happen with AS, but there is a carrier that basically just shut down operations in Alaska. And they probably won't be the last in the USA before this is all done

Ravn [7H, etc] suspends air service, to most rural Alaska communities
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perktd
The flight is actually PDX-KOA and has been pulled from the schedule if you try to book a flight. I just called reservations and was told the flight had not been cancelled yet. Therefore it was only eligible for a refund. I will just need to be patient.
Looking at whether it is bookable or not does tell you whether or not it is still in the schedule. The flight has now been "pulled from the schedule" for flights before before April 16th. For flights from the 16th to 30th, it is still in the schedule, but the fare bucket inventories have all been zeroed out so it is not bookable. Inventory availability sites like flightavailability.bcdtravel.com and ExpertFlyer can tell you definitively whether or not it has actually been pulled, or whether it is still in the schedule with all fare buckets zeroed out. There's probably a decent chance the flights in later April will be removed tomorrow with new schedule load. Before everyone jumps to the conclusion that this is only about avoiding refunds, consider the impact of cancelling thousands of flights at once on already overburdened call centers.

If you go through the weekly OAG Changes posts on airliners.net, you will see that the airlines have been reducing April schedules each weekend for the last month or so. It is not actually the case that all the changes are being made on a last-minute cancellation basis.
Eastbay1K likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 3, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
DW and I got store credits for an April 8 flight a few weeks ago. Yesterday Alaska sent us a notification that our flight was cancelled and that we should call them. Not that it matters much to us, but does that mean we are entitled to a refund rather than store credit? Maybe I’ll text the elite number, being on the phone is bound to be a mess.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by vanillabean
DW and I got store credits for an April 8 flight a few weeks ago. Yesterday Alaska sent us a notification that our flight was cancelled and that we should call them. Not that it matters much to us, but does that mean we are entitled to a refund rather than store credit? Maybe I’ll text the elite number, being on the phone is bound to be a mess.
Yes, you are entitled to a refund to original payment method for a flight cancelled by Alaska. I called yesterday for something they couldn't handle via text and got through right away, so should be relatively painless.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The DOT has also been reminding carriers that it is not an option to refuse refunds for cancelled flights. They will take enforcement actions if carriers refuse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coro...-are-axed.html
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Similar situation for my mid-April flight.
Is it really common for us to have to wait UNTIL THE DAY OF for them to officially cancel the flight on their end?!

If so, then how does one go about trying to get cash refund?
Their policy is that the ticket has to be cancelled prior to the departure time.
If they cancel the flight 2 hours before or something, well I presume there's a long hold time on the phone (can't cancel for cash refund online, correct?), and I'm also working.

Seems an impossible situation, unless they announce cancellation at least 24hrs prior.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Yes, you are entitled to a refund to original payment method for a flight cancelled by Alaska. I called yesterday for something they couldn't handle via text and got through right away, so should be relatively painless.
If you still have a reservation for the flight. If you previously cancelled, and then the flight is cancelled, I'm not sure if you'll have luck in then having them converting mywallet funds back to a credit card refund.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by woolfson
"While we would like to offer special consideration for you, we are unable to honor the many similar requests that we receive from others in equally deserving situations. We follow a consistent policy to ensure that we are fair to everyone who travels with us."
I'm curious how you went about asking for it. Judging by that response, you must have laid out the case for why you deserve a refund more than others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.