Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
For anyone trying to cancel outside the official window - if AS is currently telling you they cannot waive fees, then do not cancel now. There's no benefit to cancelling early and paying fees, and there's no penalty for waiting longer to see if the situation changes. The cancellation period could be extended in the future to cover your needs.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:13 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I bought tickets because of this purchase / cancellation waiver, and now can't get through on the phone to cancel them! Waited for 1 hour on the phone, and gave up. What a pain, and they did not enable online cancellation for this condition to make things easier.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
We have all sorts of tickets for a family reunion in June (award, using coupons, etc.) Older part of the family has bailed out and is not coming for health reasons and the its all falling apart right now. What will Alaska do for June travel right now....? I mean, the whole thing has fallen apart now, and well I know Alaska is going to say that that June is a little speculative.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Originally Posted by TA
What a pain, and they did not enable online cancellation for this condition to make things easier.
Indeed: and I'm now being told that they will refund my credit card--after I agree to throw away a discount code. Lame.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by PetePDX
Indeed: and I'm now being told that they will refund my credit card--after I agree to throw away a discount code. Lame.
They are offering Full Refund through March. "What if I used a companion fare? If you used a companion certificate, for travel in March, we would reissue the companion certificate for future travel. You should receive the certificate in 5-7 days." https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/coronavirus/

HUCA.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:51 am

Are partner awards covered by the waiver do we know?
I bought an Emirates flights (economy cabin) using Alaska miles yesterday, for a flight leaving in May. If i want to cancel it will I get a full redeposit of 42500 miles without a cancellation fee? Please I need to know before the 24 hours are up - I did call and the agent said it should be covered, but they were obviously just reading the rules and said "well I don't see any specific exception around award flights so I would think the Main cabin waiver should cover partner economy awards" - they didn't seem super confident in their response so I want to make sure from the good folks here.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi everyone,

I have 4 tickets LAX - BOI, we're a band meant to be playing a festival which has now been canceled. Tickets booked 2/14

When I go to manage booking under cancelation I see 'This reservation isn't eligible for a refund. However, it does qualify for travel credit. Cancellation fees are waived.'

Is that the case for all non-refundable fares on Alaska under the waiver? Unfortunately, can't see us using Alaskan credit any time soon + you can't use My Wallet credit for points right?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
AS needs to step and I think they will, by extending credits through April 30th. No groups permitted greater than 250 will certainly curtail travel to Seattle.

Still not sure why one is permitted to be at an airport where you easily interact with greater than 250 people.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/cor...EQ5YCL75367PU/
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:53 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Well, I feel dumb now.

I booked a ticket under this policy thinking that it meant it would be fully refundable (based on the blog post and other articles about it). Now I find out that they are only waiving the cancellation fee, and not offering a refund -- the credit will be stored and usable towards a future flight. Doh.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by TA
Well, I feel dumb now.

I booked a ticket under this policy thinking that it meant it would be fully refundable (based on the blog post and other articles about it). Now I find out that they are only waiving the cancellation fee, and not offering a refund -- the credit will be stored and usable towards a future flight. Doh.
Yeah, all travel being cancelled, if you booked the ticket more than 24 hours ago - will go into your "Alaska Wallet" - full value of the trip which can be applied to new travel without change fees. Granted, that's not as nice as just giving people their money back... but they are trying to walk a tightrope of being flexible & fair, but also they need to make some money eventually.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I don't see it highlighted, but the Alaska blog post describing the new waiver policy, including for tickets issued before Feb 26, has some very customer friendly policies:

What if I used a companion fare? If you used a companion certificate, for travel in March, we would reissue the companion certificate for future travel. You should receive the certificate in 5-7 days.

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and March 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.
In both cases it does seem you have to call. I tried to cancel a companion fare trip for this Friday online and was warned that the companion certificate would be forfeited (the normal policy), and Twitter confirmed that I need to call and sit on hold to get the new companion certificate issued. But still, ^ to Alaska.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm also trying to cancel some reservations for March, but it's a 3 hour hold time, and my reservation won't let me cancel on-line.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:55 am

If booked with an OTA and you ask OTA to cancel, will the funds be deposited into Alaska travel funds too?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
I tried to cancel a companion fare trip for this Friday online and was warned that the companion certificate would be forfeited (the normal policy), and Twitter confirmed that I need to call and sit on hold to get the new companion certificate issued. But still, ^ to Alaska.
One caveat on this very good companion certificate policy: If a companion certificate was going to expire before the ticket attached to it is canceled, the companion certificate will not be reissued. For example, we used a companion certificate on 10 January 2020 that would have expired 27 January 2020 for a trip this month. We've canceled the trip, and Alaska Airlines explained that reissuing it with the same expiration would be, well, pointless. Totally understood and appreciated.

So no extensions to companion certificates are being made. They are just being reinstated with the original expiration date, which makes complete sense.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
One caveat on this very good companion certificate policy: If a companion certificate was going to expire before the ticket attached to it is canceled, the companion certificate will not be reissued. For example, we used a companion certificate on 10 January 2020 that would have expired 27 January 2020 for a trip this month. We've canceled the trip, and Alaska Airlines explained that reissuing it with the same expiration would be, well, pointless. Totally understood and appreciated.

So no extensions to companion certificates are being made. They are just being reinstated with the original expiration date, which makes complete sense.
Oh, that’s too bad (though I understand it). We too are canceling a trip for tomorrow with an I-think-expired companion certificate. Haven’t called in yet. Thanks for the further information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.