Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Now extended for all travel up to Dec 31st for previously booked travel.
Just saw it, a little surprised they didn't keep doing the incremental push outs, but I guess they are not a optimistic as certain other people out there.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Just saw it, a little surprised they didn't keep doing the incremental push outs, but I guess they are not a optimistic as certain other people out there.
From the page, this supposedly only applies to tickets bought before February 26. However the section for tickets bought after 2/26 says that the waiver only applies to tickets through 4/30, which doesn’t make much sense to me.

Did they just fail to update the website? Or is it the policy for recently bought tickets truly lagging?

Edit: oh, 4/30/21. Makes sense.
Seattlenerd likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:33 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Am I not thinking this through? In November 2019, I booked a Mileage Plan award miles itinerary for June 2020 that just ain't gonna happen with everything going on nowadays. IAD-LAX on Alaska, LAX-SIN-AKL on Singapore. It appears that if I opt to change the itinerary online, I get hit with a $125 per person change fee. If I opt to flat out cancel, there's no penalty and I would just reapply the miles to a new itinerary. Is this right?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:37 pm

So with Alaska's new covid policy, if I'm reading it right, if I book an award flight right now on a partner airline, I can have free cancellation and changes for travel dates up till April 30/21, correct? Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. It doesn't mention anything about points be redeposited for free, but I assume they would be?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...#peace-of-mind
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Deleted - belong on other thread.

Last edited by Boraxo; Apr 22, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:27 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Am I not thinking this through? In November 2019, I booked a Mileage Plan award miles itinerary for June 2020 that just ain't gonna happen with everything going on nowadays. IAD-LAX on Alaska, LAX-SIN-AKL on Singapore. It appears that if I opt to change the itinerary online, I get hit with a $125 per person change fee. If I opt to flat out cancel, there's no penalty and I would just reapply the miles to a new itinerary. Is this right?
UPDATE: Even though their website states no cancellation or change fees, a $125 fee per ticket is displayed when attempted to make a cancellation or change on the website. I opted to reach out to Alaska Airlines via Facebook and received a response in less than a minute. The rep did confirm the weird messaging on the website but took care of cancelling my itinerary without any fees. Miles were redeposited in mere seconds, credit card refund should show up within a week.
NoLaGent and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I had to call in to cancel my WED flight to Vegas - since March Madness is cancelled and there will literally be no other sports to bet on, the weekend was kinda a bust.

I couldn't cancel online because I used a $150 voucher (from a delay) to purchase the ticket - the cancel button was grayed out and it said I had to call.

Hold time on the MVP/Gold line at 11:45PM was only 4 minutes... first nice thing.
Second nice thing, before I even had a chance to ask about it - the phone agent proactively told me she would re-issue my $150 voucher in addition to refunding the cash difference back to my original form of payment (wallet for that part would've been fine for me).

I was ready to argue for that voucher back if I had to, but was very happy they took the initiative. I even asked how I could give her some nice feedback and she responded "Any of us would do that for you right now given the circumstances."

A+ as always from AS.
Does the new discount code keep the old expiration day or one year from reissue day?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alfrie
Does the new discount code keep the old expiration day or one year from reissue day?
I cancelled an itinerary which had a $25 voucher attached. AS replaced the voucher, which took a couple of days, with an expiry date one year from the reissue date, not the date it was originally issued. Of course, YMMV.

James
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I cancelled an itinerary which had a $25 voucher attached. AS replaced the voucher, which took a couple of days, with an expiry date one year from the reissue date, not the date it was originally issued. Of course, YMMV.

James
Thanks James. Good to know. I have an unused discount code expiring in July. I have more confidence in making a booking if the code can be extended upon cancellation.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Just wanted to confirm, but if I book an award ticket today, for travel later this year, will I be able to take advantage of this waiver?
My understanding of the waiver is that I can cancel my trip anytime prior to departure, and have the points redeposited with no fee?
Originally Posted by Bleepo
So with Alaska's new covid policy, if I'm reading it right, if I book an award flight right now on a partner airline, I can have free cancellation and changes for travel dates up till April 30/21, correct? Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. It doesn't mention anything about points be redeposited for free, but I assume they would be?

Does anybody have an answer to these questions? I would like to know if I book a partner award ticket by May 31 2020, will I be to cancel or change without a fee ?

And will be able to make unlimited changes without fee to such ticket ?

Last edited by hoipolloi; May 3, 2020 at 9:29 pm
Old May 9, 2020, 7:21 pm

Anyone ?
Old May 9, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Anyone ?

If you purchase a nonrefundable First Class, main, or award ticket between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020, you may:
What isn't clear about this? It's says "award ticket" and "cancel without a fee" and "change your trip without a fee". It seems to be pretty clearly written English.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

What isn't clear about this? It's says "award ticket" and "cancel without a fee" and "change your trip without a fee". It seems to be pretty clearly written English.
What isn't clear about this, to me, is this: If I now book a Main class award ticket on Alaska, which I pay with miles plus ~$6 fee, and tomorrow I cancel the booking: I understand that the miles go back to my award account. But what about the $6 fee? Does it go back to my credit card or to a wallet with Alaska Airlines? It is not a fare, it is an inappliccable tax.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov
What isn't clear about this, to me, is this: If I now book a Main class award ticket on Alaska, which I pay with miles plus ~$6 fee, and tomorrow I cancel the booking: I understand that the miles go back to my award account. But what about the $6 fee? Does it go back to my credit card or to a wallet with Alaska Airlines? It is not a fare, it is an inappliccable tax.
The $5.60 fee will go back to the original form of payment. Without the COVID-19 or an Elite waiver, you would have to pay a $125 fee upon which, the miles would be immediately redeposited to your account and any fees & taxes refunded to the original form of payment.

The current COVID-19 waiver just means you don't have to pay the $125 fee. The process of cancelling an award, whether AS or a Partner, hasn't changed. If you are familiar with AA, think about the $125 fee as a redeposit fee that you don't have to pay.

James
Old May 16, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

To “purchase” an “award ticket” means to redeem points for a ticket? Prior to February 27 as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.